Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

The way i see the squad shaping up is...

Gk - we are sorted with 2 solid keepers.

Rb- sod and mcmillan, sorted

Lb- sincy, bannigan can play there too, but shd maybe look for a left sided cb to cover.

Cb - aero n conrad easily good enough for this league, but we're really short of cover, so someone to replace dowie, and like i said above, someone who can do both cb and lb.

Dm - i am split 50/50 on whether shug murray could be integral this season, or a complete waste of space. Yet to make up my mind.

Cm - bannigan easily good enough, welshy will step up, forbes been here before and hopefully step up. Dont know if james craigen up to spl level but willing to give him a chance. We are short in this area by at least 2 players.

Front 3 - doolan unproven but we know he'll work hard and has first touch to die for. Doubt he'll hit double figures in spl but be delighted to be proven wrong. Lawless - excellent season last year, hopeful he can continue the good form, dont want to lose him esp after losing erskine. Baird - think he'll do us a turn, good signing. Elliot - impact sub, nothing more nothing less. Mcguigan- dont see him being here start of season. I dnt think ive been at a match where he's scored or indeed really played, so im unqualified to make an informed opinion, initial assessment is he's a 1st2nd div level player.

We need another couple of forwards/outside forwards, maybe another couple of midfielders, and a cb-lb. and they all need to be good players.

Or starting 11 is a decent side, outside of that we are short of good cover for this league imo. Cant wait for it all to begin, i trust archie to get the right guys in

I would be surprised if we line up with the same formation as last season, with us probably going 4-1-4-1...

Right back: O'Donnell or McMillan.

Left Back: Sinclair or Bannigan.

Centre Half: Muirhead & Balatoni (cover in McMillan only)

Defensive Mid: Bannigan (cover in Murray)

Central Mid: any 2 from Welsh, Forbes, Craigan, Bannigan.

Right Mid: Lawless (no cover)

Left Mid: Bannigan(cover in Elliott)

Striker: Any 1 from Doolan, Baird, McGuigan, Elliott.

We need a left sided centre half who can play left back.

We need a defensive mid to allow Bannigan to play further up in the middle

We need cover for Lawless on the right and we need a first choice left midfielder.

We need 1 more striker, better than Doolan and Baird. Not just a squad addition

All in 5 players still required... or i hope we can clone Bannigan!

I think Sutton is one of those players who will safely hit 10 goals if he plays every game in a season.

Not overly "excited" by him, never been that impressed when I watch him play. Although his experience could be a real asset and undoubtably he does have enough talent for the SPL. At 29 he still has a few years left in him, good age.

Not sure how I feel - half of me says good, the other half says bad. Mainly as I feel with Doolan Baird and Sutton they are all of similar ability - none will get the 15-20 goals that can keep us up, but combined we could get a decent tally from these three.

Mark Kerr is a player I’ve never really rated. A lot of SPL experience granted, but inevitably ends up on the squad that gets relegated. John Sutton would be decent, however if we continue to play only one out and out striker like last season (which I assume we will), there will be a few of our strikers not getting a lot of game time next season.

Yeah I wouldn't be delighted about Kerr coming in either. Considering we only need one more central midfielder, I feel we'd be better off waiting and looking for a better option. I take your point about the forwards but you still need strength in depth and Doolan, Baird, McGuigan (OK, Elliott as well but I'd hope he's seen by everyone at the club as a wide player by now) isn't the most intimidating strike force. Regardless of whether it'll be Sutton or not, I think we definitely need another striker.

Mark Kerr is a player I’ve never really rated. A lot of SPL experience granted, but inevitably ends up on the squad that gets relegated. John Sutton would be decent, however if we continue to play only one out and out striker like last season (which I assume we will), there will be a few of our strikers not getting a lot of game time next season.

He signed a short term deal with Dunfermline after returning from Cyprus mid-season who were already rooted to the bottom of the table and beginning to feel the strain, financially. He then signed for a Dundee team who were completely ill-prepared for the SPL through no fault of their own. Other than that, he's never been relegated and has been an important player for both United and Aberdeen. Not exactly an eternal relegation victim.

Reckon Baird is probably more likely to play out wide next season rather than as an out and out striker. If the rumours are to be believed about McGuigan leaving then would make sense to get Sutton in. Possibly make sense anyway given it would be madness (IMO) not to go into the SPL with a 'proven' striker.

Reckon Baird is probably more likely to play out wide next season rather than as an out and out striker. If the rumours are to be believed about McGuigan leaving then would make sense to get Sutton in. Possibly make sense anyway given it would be madness (IMO) not to go into the SPL with a 'proven' striker.

Can Baird play on the left?

I would be surprised if we line up with the same formation as last season, with us probably going 4-1-4-1...

Right back: O'Donnell or McMillan.

Left Back: Sinclair or Bannigan.

Centre Half: Muirhead & Balatoni (cover in McMillan only)

Defensive Mid: Bannigan (cover in Murray)

Central Mid: any 2 from Welsh, Forbes, Craigan, Bannigan.

Right Mid: Lawless (no cover)

Left Mid: Bannigan(cover in Elliott)

Striker: Any 1 from Doolan, Baird, McGuigan, Elliott.

We need a left sided centre half who can play left back.

We need a defensive mid to allow Bannigan to play further up in the middle

We need cover for Lawless on the right and we need a first choice left midfielder.

We need 1 more striker, better than Doolan and Baird. Not just a squad addition

All in 5 players still required... or i hope we can clone Bannigan!

I think there is a fairly fine line between formations, and its more important how the players 'play the role' rather than where they are located on the park.

I would say that Bannigan and Lawless are our most interesting players in how they performed last year (excluding Erskine) and its important we set up in a way that plays to their strengths.

Bannigan is at his best in the middle where his energy and ability to collect the ball and spray it are best suited. I think when you move him about you limit his ability to take hold of a game. Its great he can play practically anywhere on the park but, unlike some similar versatile players, it is clear where he is most effective.

Likewise Lawless isn't a winger in the traditional sense. He is at his best coming in to middle where he has good interplay with other players in the area and able to get into good shooting positions. I wouldn't want to see him hugging the touchline trying to beat a full back to the touchline as I think he could be brushed off pretty easily there.

To be honest I think ideally we would line up something like the following initially. With the right couple of first team additions, and luck with injuries, I think we will give it a right good go in this league.

Fox

SOD Muirhead Balatoni Sinclair

New Defensive CM (Kerr?) Bannigan

Lawless Forbes New Att/Winger

Doolan

Baird made a big deal on his move about centre forward being his best position and how his poor form with Dundee was when played out wide by Smith. I would have thought Archie will have let him know that he will be played up top with us.

Mark Kerr would not be a good signing.

Archie doesn't come across as a jobs for his pals type manager. That of course doesn't preclude him from giving an ex teammate a look over. The emphasis on fitness at the Club nowadays is so strong it'll more than possibly rule him out. If fitness turns out to not be an issue then Kerr just might be a useful addition. I think tho' given the position he plays he'll be in for a gruelling trial.

I don't really know where the whole derision of the possibility of signing Kerr comes from. He's played over 200 games for Dundee United and Aberdeen and plays in a position that we are looking to strengthen. In addition, he captained Aberdeen and is experienced yet young enough to still get about the pitch; his game was always characterised by a tenacious work rate - something we're looking to replace with Paton's departure. He was poorly advised when he moved to Greece (I incorrectly said Cyprus in another post) and came back mid-season having not played for near enough three months. Arriving at a sinking ship like Dunfermline would have been hard enough but add in the fact he was nowhere near match-fit, it was hardly surprising that he never had much of an impact. He was unfortunate with injuries last season and was a victim of circumstance somewhat as Brown came in, settled on a midfield and enjoyed a bit of a resurgence.

I sound like I'm pleading Kerr's case here, which I suppose I am to an extent, but I think people are looking at the last 18 months, seeing that he's been part of two relegated squads and fearing the worst without really knowing what he could bring to the table. I think a few Thistle fans need to have a bit of a reality check in terms of who they believe we should be targeting - as I've said above, to get a guy who's played over 200 games in the SPL on the budget that we have and in a position where we're short... :frantic:

If he's good enough for Archie, he's good enough for me.

• Like 6