Firhillista

Craig Beattie is training with Thistle, apparently. Think he would be a good addition to the squad, and I'm not being critical of Doolan or Baird in any way in saying that. Can't help feeling that he would have scored last night if he'd been playing. Surprised to see that he's still only 29.

Craig Beattie is training with Thistle, apparently. Think he would be a good addition to the squad, and I'm not being critical of Doolan or Baird in any way in saying that. Can't help feeling that he would have scored last night if he'd been playing. Surprised to see that he's still only 29.

Would he have been on the park tho,? Have seen little wrong with Doolan so far and Baird has made a decent impact when he's come on.

Wouldn't know enough about Beattie of late to comment.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Wasn't exactly brilliant with St Johnstone last season. If he impresses in training and wages aren't too much then could be worth a go.

Or we could have kept Stef Craig.

I was saying the same thing last night. I believe Craig (Steven, that is) has now signed for Wycombe Wanderers in England's League Two. If he is deemed capable of scoring goals there, then surely he should be able to do a job in the SPFL.

As far as Craig Beattie is concerned, I would be willing to give him a chance if the price is right. One thing is for certain: we are crying out for another forward at the moment, because Baird and Doolan aren't cutting it so far.

I was saying the same thing last night. I believe Craig (Steven, that is) has now signed for Wycombe Wanderers in England's League Two. If he is deemed capable of scoring goals there, then surely he should be able to do a job in the SPFL.

As far as Craig Beattie is concerned, I would be willing to give him a chance if the price is right. One thing is for certain: we are crying out for another forward at the moment, because Baird and Doolan aren't cutting it so far.

You are correct in that belief. I don't think it would quite be fair to say they haven't cut it yet - just seems that with the way the rest of the team is set up (to get a lot of crosses in) that they are simply the wrong type of striker.

Never understand this thinking. Wycombe's manager thinks he can do a job for them, maybe just as a squad player, I have no idea. Archie thinks he doesn't need him. That's his judgement. No one made too much fuss when Craig left. The fact that Wycombe have signed him doesn't make him a better player. Ross County didn't fancy him for SPL. If SOJ scores twenty goals for Wycombe then he's maybes proved Archie wrong. By merely signing for them he's proved nothing.

You are correct in that belief. I don't think it would quite be fair to say they haven't cut it yet - just seems that with the way the rest of the team is set up (to get a lot of crosses in) that they are simply the wrong type of striker.

You might be right. However, while Doolan isn't exactly tall he does leap quite well, but his timing seems to be a bit off at the moment. I am certainly not suggesting discarding either of them - it is probably just a matter of form - but I think a different type of striker would provide healthy competition and certainly give Archie more options.

Never understand this thinking. Wycombe's manager thinks he can do a job for them, maybe just as a squad player, I have no idea. Archie thinks he doesn't need him. That's his judgement. No one made too much fuss when Craig left. The fact that Wycombe have signed him doesn't make him a better player. Ross County didn't fancy him for SPL. If SOJ scores twenty goals for Wycombe then he's maybes proved Archie wrong. By merely signing for them he's proved nothing.

No, but in scoring a dozen goals for us last season it proves that he suits our team. Some players seem to suit certain teams. Look at James McFadden: average at best for Everton and Birmingham but a hero for the national team.

Time will tell how well Craig does at Wycombe. I don't doubt that Archie knows what he is doing, but I am starting to feel that Craig maybe deserved to be kept on based on the goals he scored last season and the fact that he offers something different. There was no great fuss when he left because I think people assumed that Archie must have a replacement lined up, but no such player has materialised as yet.

No thanks

Guy has managed a grand total of 172 games in 10 years and has averaged a goal every 5/6 games. Waste of a wage in my opinion. Mind you, with a goals per game record like that I'm sure he'd fit in nicely at Firhill. If this is the best Archie can do before the end of August I would rather he didn't bother and try for a season long loan of an English Premiership/Championship reserve striker. There's got to be better out there.

I actually think Baird could turn out to be a quicker and more mobile version of Craig. I'm not convinced Steven would score more goals than him in the top flight, either.

Agree but I think it's all a bit academic.

Dowie was released not because he couldn't fill in as a useful enough centre back but rather as at his age he needs to play regularly to retain his sharpness. I can only imagine the same applies to Craig, in fact being a striker much more so. Even if Craig is every bit the equal of Baird.you'll get more sharpness after a spell out the team from the younger man.

That's maybe tonight why I'm not over enthusiastic about Beattie. Kind of a catch 22. The guy would need to play regularly to attain match fitness but he'd have to be match fit to get a regular run out. You can say that's the same for anybody but the older the player the more apt that rule of thumb. Beattie at 29 with his fitness history suggests he'd be a risky signing.