Kenny Miller To Retire From International Football

Garscube Road End

One of the most tireless and hard working players to play for Scotland in recent memory, ALWAYS gave 100% effort and chased every long ball and lost cause, completely agree with stillresigned about his club career but couldn't fault him for his country, a great example to any aspiring player on how to make the most of the (decent) talent you have, always proud to play for his country.

I was speaking to a few people who were at the Wembley game and they said off the ball he was dragging defenders all over the park and hassling players every time the ball went into the England half, pressurising defenders, trying to keep the ball in their half, reducing easy passing options and being a general pain in the backside - everything defenders hate.

Thanks Kenny and I'm sure you will be cheering and agonising from the sidelines over every kick with the rest of us from now on.

• Like 4

Thought he has done very well for Scotland and scored some important goals along the way.

He has went on longer than i thought and well done for not suffering burn out earlier after being asked to play like a headless chicken in Scotland team formations.

Enjoy the rest Kenny and best to let someone younger do that job now.

Edited by billko

One of the most tireless and hard working players to play for Scotland in recent memory, ALWAYS gave 100% effort and chased every long ball and lost cause, completely agree with stillresigned about his club career but couldn't fault him for his country, a great example to any aspiring player on how to make the most of the (decent) talent you have, always proud to play for his country.

I was speaking to a few people who were at the Wembley game and they said off the ball he was dragging defenders all over the park and hassling players every time the ball went into the England half, pressurising defenders, trying to keep the ball in their half, reducing easy passing options and being a general pain in the backside - everything defenders hate.

Thanks Kenny and I'm sure you will be cheering and agonising from the sidelines over every kick with the rest of us from now on.

This. Absolutely nailed it.

Many people focus on the chances he has missed - including myself - but when you consider what he adds to a team you realise why he has been a mainstay in the national team for the past ten years, and why numerous club managers have offered him contracts over the years.

Although not the most technically gifted player to have represented Scotland, he always tried his best, he always turned up when asked, and - in spite of the aforementioned missed chances - scored a fair few goals too.

Thanks for the memories Kenny.

To be realistic Kenny was not going to be about for the next qualifiers (Euro 16?). It was correct to play our strongest side against England regardless of age and future. Scotland v England games should never be played as mere friendlies. Glad the guy went out on sort of high. Certainly justified his selection. From now on all internationals must be about getting a settled team ready to challenge for the next set of qualification matches.

Always appreciate guys who play for Thistle or Scotland that give their all for club or country. Miller appeared to me to fit that bill for Scotland, especially playing at a time when there was little in way of glory and he was often in the company of not the most dedicated fellow internationalists.

• Like 1

Right time for him to bow out. As mentioned he'd be 36 by the time Euro 2016 came about so it's important that we begin to look to the future and have players playing qualifiers that would be around for the finals should we make it.

In my time as a Scotland fan only Darren Fletcher and possibly Christian Dailly could rival Kenny in the dedication shown towards the national team. Guys that would be in the stands supporting the team if they weren't playing. He never turned his back on his country, even for the most meaningless of matches and regardless of the distances he needed to travel.

He may have missed a good few chances in his time, but he's scored some massively important goals too including goals that won us points v Italy and Germany at Hampden and also a fantastic double in Norway. Has a great talent for scoring the odd spectacular goal too, Leichtenstein and Cyprus spring to mind as well as the last one at Wembley.

A player with the workrate, passion and dedication that Kenny Miller brings will be sorely missed.

Cheers Kenny.

• Like 1

Looks like Miller's retirement has opened the door for McCormack to get back into the squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/23815354

Jamie Mackie who's also in the squad is the most likely to be able to do the Miller role I think.

One surprise: Gordon Greer. I guess we're desperate to find defenders. Just hope he is having a late flowering as we definitely need some decent centre halfs.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I always thought he was very limited despite his asmirable work rate. The amount of caps he won says more about how poor we now are, than how good he was. With more ability to add his pace and passion he would have been good, but i never once thought 'brilliant, miller's playing, he'll be a threat.'

Great final memory though - will add some revisionist history to a mediocre international career. And a lot of the above posts are right - this guy cared and would have played for his country with a broken leg - a great contrast to some of the imposters over the years.