Sportscene Is Redundant (And S**t)

thebiglemon

I literally haven't seen this programme for maybe 20 years but decided to watch tonight to see the highlights and the punditry after yesterdays excitement.

Since the highlights are online before the programme and the presenter and pundits are wooden and boring what is the point. All the analysis you want is here and P+B and you can dip into St Mirren forums and get much better and frank debate etc

Considering the fairly intelligent stuff you get from the likes of Tom English et al on the tea time Sportsound why is the BBC content so vacuous on a Sunday night?

Will not be tuning in again

to be fair all I want to see is the goals, I can't stand them talking for ages like sky sports with Neville and Carragher boring you to death, analysing every pass, at least they are talking Thistle up playing good football. Jonathan Sutherland is a shocking presenter, at least we didn't need to listen to Michael Stewart or Steven Thompson tonight though.

to be fair all I want to see is the goals, I can't stand them talking for ages like sky sports with Neville and Carragher boring you to death, analysing every pass, at least they are talking Thistle up playing good football. Jonathan Sutherland is a shocking presenter, at least we didn't need to listen to Michael Stewart or Steven Thompson tonight though.

I'd have liked to hear from Steven Thompson tonight.

• Like 1

In comparison with MOTD and the 'in depth analysis' from buffoons like Alan Shearer and Mark Lawrenson, I think Sportscene is actually ok in that it's far more to the point and centres mostly around the important stuff. I just want to see the highlights of my team and the other matches that will be of relevance to my team, with minimal input from studio commentators. MOTD must spend most of their show hearing the ever dreadful Shearer and Lawrenson spout utter bollocks, and having cringeworthy 'banter' with one another. If Sportscene was like that I wouldn't even bother watching it, regardless of whether Thistle were on it or not.

Edited by Noel Edmonds
  • Like 1

They couldn't even squeeze in the Lawless shot just before half time. That alone would've at least given a more accurate representation of the match.

I don't see the point in asking a current player about contentious decisions. Same answers every week. If some thug defender jumped in two footed on an opponent's head we'd get an answer along the lines of "He (the thug) will be embarrassed when he sees a rerun of that one"

First time I've had a look again at our first goal.Excellent move and finish.

I think Sportscene is OK for what it is but it's scuppered by being on a Sunday by which time the highlights are all online- if it was the first chance to see the talking points on a Saturday night before MOTD it would be a lot more important. Presumably the number of Sunday games mean they can't put the programme out before Sunday night.

Also noticed when they were doing the morning paper preview that a Mr Paton, late of this parish, has been bumping his gums about Stokes being a diver. He may well be right but if there was a ever a boy who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut...

Edited by Ancipital

Sportscene would benefit from honest, articulate pundits prepared to say what needs to be said rather (if last night was typical) than 2 players who cannot think or speak in anything but cliches.

At least on MOTD they heavily criticise poor play, bad tactics, diving etc (Shearer is dire though) Does this ever happen on Sportscene ?

I've always watched it, as I do MOTD and TFLS. The quality of footage, post match analysis and general discussion on Sportscene has got consistently poorer every year for god knows how long. It really is generic clichéd garbage they talk.

MOTD however has started to really improve with good insightful analysis and interesting debate with people who clearly spend time researching the league. I just wish we could come close to what they get down South.

What's neil warnock know about scottish fitbaw?

The short answer to that is not a lot. What I would give him credit for is actually praising Scottish football and talking about it positively which is the complete opposite to bawbags like Burley and Nicholas who trip over themselves to tell everyone how bad it is.

He has mentioned a few times now on Talksport that he has been impressed with the standard and has said he's enjoyed watching the games. We even got a special mention from him, basically said we are a great team to watch.

Never much liked him before, but he went up in my estimation after that!

• Like 1

Also noticed when they were doing the morning paper preview that a Mr Paton, late of this parish, has been bumping his gums about Stokes being a diver. He may well be right but if there was a ever a boy who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut...

To be fair Paton should now be an expert on dives. Dundee being one of the biggest ones.

• Like 1

Got to agree that, generally speaking, Sportscene is mince. This SNF thing that Sky have come up with, though, is the sheer bowels of sports punditry: Jamie Redknapp is a total and utter fud without parallel (south of the border, at any rate).

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Got to agree that, generally speaking, Sportscene is mince. This SNF thing that Sky have come up with, though, is the sheer bowels of sports punditry: Jamie Redknapp is a total and utter fud without parallel (south of the border, at any rate).

Saw a bit of that, stupid name to go along with the football league one FL72 and the ridiculous standing audience watching a couple of presenters watching a big tele screen, what was that all about?

This.

Saw a bit of that, stupid name to go along with the football league one FL72 and the ridiculous standing audience watching a couple of presenters watching a big tele screen, what was that all about?

And this. Gary Neville is a big-headed numpty who thinks that he knows everything about tactics. Carragher is as thick as Redknapp.

For rotten presenters and pundits, BT takes a lot of beating. Jake Humphries is vacuous and totally annoying. The comments from David James, Steve McManaman and Owen Hargreaves were utterly moronic at the weekend. And I could hardly make out what Kenny Shiels said.

Edited by kni

This.

And this. Gary Neville is a big-headed numpty who thinks that he knows everything about tactics. Carragher is as thick as Redknapp.

For rotten presenters and pundits, BT takes a lot of beating. Jake Humphries is vacuous and totally annoying. The comments from David James, Steve McManaman and Owen Hargreaves were utterly moronic at the weekend. And I could hardly make out what Kenny Shiels said.

Think Hargreaves is quite good (certainly compared to G Neville, Carragher, other former players). The BT Sport Sunday night European stuff is actually really good as well.