Alan Hansen Retires From Match Of The Day

partickthedog

Not a great fan of Mark Lawrenson but good to see a mention for the Jags in his retirement tribute to Alan Hansen on the BBC website. Everyone knows he is a massive fan of Liverpool - and of Partick Thistle, too.

Really, he may have played for us, but I wonder when he last set foot in Firhill or saw a jags game

All I see on Match of the Day as everybody else is highlights so maybe Hansen talks nonsense but he certainly comes across as more knowledgeable than the rest of the so called experts. Maybe someone who attends the occasional English Premiership rather than another armchair expert would be able to enlighten us.

Nearly anytime Alan Hansen comes up in conversation it leads to a polarisation of views. Some seem to believe he's over anglicised kowtowing to the south of the border populace. Others find his approach to his job is both honest and objective. .One thing I do know about him is he's not a self publicist and has never forgotten his roots. I could mention some of the charitable and representative work he's done in his home county but respect the guy, unlike too many other attention seekers, for not shouting this from the rooftops

This is old news as it leaked out a few weeks ago. Hansen was on £1.5 million until he agreed a wage cut last year.

"Top football pundit Alan Hansen has agreed a new BBC contract which will see him take a pay cut of up to £500,000-a-year.

Bosses have been criticised for overpaying the former Liverpool and Scotland defender, who earns £1.5million a year as a pundit on Match Of The Day and BBC TV's live games.

Up until now, the 56-year-old has been paid around £40,000 per episode, a rate that was sparked criticism from MPs and viewers.

In line with the tough economic times at the Beeb, producers are believed to have negotiated a cut of around 30 per cent.

Hansen is expected to sign the new contract within days."

That's an awful lot of licence fees!!!

Edited by kni

I know Hansen earned a good deal as a footballer, but nothing like the money he would have if he was a generation later. I see no problem with him taking all he could get from the BBC. How much is Gary Neville getting at Sky?

So long as they do a decent job and pay their taxes, why should we judge him? IMO he is one of the better analysts.

I wonder what he would make of the present Jags team - you don't win anything with kids. I suspect he could tear our defence apart but I would rather not know.

:icon_headfones:

Edited by Oui gym
  • Like 1

Certainly the finest player I have seen in a Thistle jersey - an uncanny talent for one so young, and the only Thistle penalty taker I have ever known that you just absolutely knew he was going to score every time (including at Ayr against Hugh Sproat when those of us behind the goal told Sproat where he was going to put it but, for some reason, Shuggie thought we were not telling the truth. We were, he did, and Shuggy didn't!).

For goodness sake what's wrong with folk on here? Hansen was probably one of the classiest players ever to wear a Jag's shirt. He left to play at the highest level and since then has done well for himself in another area of work in which he is respected more than most.

There's another thread on here re; Chick Young, so if anyone wants to compere the two it might just show how reasonable Hansen is.

• Like 4

For goodness sake what's wrong with folk on here? Hansen was probably one of the classiest players ever to wear a Jag's shirt. He left to play at the highest level and since then has done well for himself in another area of work in which he is respected more than most.

There's another thread on here re; Chick Young, so if anyone wants to compere the two it might just show how reasonable Hansen is.

Chick Young is not paid a £1 million a year. Hansen was getting £40k plus expenses per MOTD programme. IIRC the BBC paid for a limo to take him from London to his home in Birkdale after each programme. MOTD is now based in Salford so Linacre will get the limo back to Surrey.

Chick Young is not paid a £1 million a year. Hansen was getting £40k plus expenses per MOTD programme. IIRC the BBC paid for a limo to take him from London to his home in Birkdale after each programme. MOTD is now based in Salford so Linacre will get the limo back to Surrey.

One earns more than the other so what? Hansen got the going rate, end of.

Why hate Hansen because he earns more than us? Does he set wage levels? Sorry, do not send me home by limo?

Market forces at work here. Even in the BBC.

Does anyone think Andy Gray would have got his job at Sky if AH could have been lured from the BBC? Look at the competition from BTS recently. How much are they paying?

Only criticism I have of AH was his "we" when discussing England at some world cup or other. I think he lost friends on both sides of the border there, but he is still one of the better pundits.

Will this mean AH being brought over, on a consultancy basis, to advise Sportscene on how to deal with their shambolic fud 'pundits'?

It would be poetic if the OF felaters on that programme were to be corrected in their almost dismissive approach to Thistle by a Thistle icon.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Only criticism I have of AH was his "we" when discussing England at some world cup or other. I think he lost friends on both sides of the border there, but he is still one of the better pundits.

Specific example please of when he said 'we' when referring to England.

Never, ever heard him say this. For me it's a myth in the same way Bob Geldof never said "Give us yer f*****g money"

Always remember the documentary he made which included the Scotland v England 1999 play off game at Hampden. England scored and Lineker is right up to him celebrating - his face was like thunder.....

Well recall his winner v Bolton in our only 2 leg Anglo Scottish tie victory.

Never really had a problem with the guy on TV , liked putting the boot in to poor play, not something you'll get on Sportscene(see other thread)- if you want to bang on about wages; every person on TV is on that sort of wage so chuck your set out the window. Hansen's no different and I for one would happily take 40K a shift as would everyone slagging the guy off.

Edited by thebiglemon

the club should get him involved in publicity stuff. who cares if people aint seen him at firhill in ages, he stays in england and his job was on matchday... hes said on plenty of interviews that the two scores he checks for first are liverpool and partick thistle.....the OF use their 'alumni' to promote their brand, even ones who went onto bigger things such as kenny dalgiesh. so we should definately get him up for publicity stuff now that hes no longer doing match of the day..

Edited by mrD
  • Like 1