Macedonia V Scotland

The Sunnylaw Jag

Okay, so we're football fans and the majority of us support Scotland and yet after tonight's performance we haven't cracked a light . No mention of it in any threads, no new Topic. So here I am two hours after the game, starting it.

I thought it was a good performance and I am looking forward to see Anya playing again. He looks to be an exciting player and he took his goal really well. Maloney's goal was also a bit of a peach as was the Macedonia one.

Thought that Macedonia were pretty poor and I don't know how Wales managed to loose to them. Macedonia didn't look to be trying until after Anya scored. To be fair, they did look decent from then on and I could see their goal coming for some time. That said, we can only play what is in front of us and we looked very solid at the back and going forward. The problem was the final delivery, particularly from Anya which was beyond woeful.

Both goals were superbly taken and Anya might have had a second as it looked to me that he beat the offside when it was still 1-0.

Good result and it should be enough to ensure we are not bottom of the group. What we need now is a win at Hampden.

Thought that Macedonia were pretty poor and I don't know how Wales managed to loose to them. Macedonia didn't look to be trying until after Anya scored. To be fair, they did look decent from then on and I could see their goal coming for some time.

They have something we don't have which we don't have which is a top notch player (Pandev, nearly called him Panda) - when he's on his game they do well when he's not they're poor. Wales similarly when Bale plays they can win when he doesn't they're usually poor. I think we are stronger than both teams in the general quality of our players but we don't, and haven't had for a long time someone good enough to play for a top team in Europe or the EPL (I know, Fletcher, but he was never a really top player for MU). We need a new Dalglish or Gemmil or even a Denis McQuade. I know we don't develop enough good youngsters these days but in the old days we could have put out a team of top notch players ... if we could find just one or two to add to the current squad it would make a big difference.

That said, we can only play what is in front of us and we looked very solid at the back and going forward. The problem was the final delivery, particularly from Anya which was beyond woeful.

It was never as bad as that. I'd say mixed as he had some good deliveries one from which Naismisth should really have scored.

Both goals were superbly taken and Anya might have had a second as it looked to me that he beat the offside when it was still 1-0.

Replay showed he was definitely onside. Getting back to Naismith. I think he's a good forward but his adaptability has told against him and he's been played so long in positions where he wasn't an out and out striker that I think he's lost that sharpness a real goal taker needs. He did lead the line very well though, controlled the ball well and some of his lay-offs to other players were first class. I think he's been wasted by both clubs and country in the past.

Good result and it should be enough to ensure we are not bottom of the group. What we need now is a win at Hampden.

I'd be happy with a draw which may be enough. Croatia will be out for revenge.

I think Strachan has done well as he's got things working again, a bit of confidence in the team and has blooded a few new players. Well maybe only Anya is out and out new but for instance Martin at centre back - played at full back before I think - looks solid (not international class but better than Calderwood) and hopefully as there's a bit of a gap between our last game in WCQ and ECQ we can have a few friendlies and try out a few new players.

They have something we don't ... I think we are stronger than both teams in the general quality of our players but we don't, and haven't had for a long time someone good enough to play for a top team in Europe or the EPL (I know, Fletcher, but he was never a really top player for MU).

Mr Bunny, I have to disagree with that one. A good number of MU fans are gutted that Fletcher has unable to play as they really rate him and say that he is under-rated by many including the pundits for his work rate and talent. I think that he goes about his business quietly and is often overlooked for praise because he always looks so comfortable on the ball. I think Scotland have really missed him and they still haven't found anyone big enough to fill his boots. But that just my opinion and that of a number of MU fans that watched him every week.

• Like 1

Mr Bunny, I have to disagree with that one. A good number of MU fans are gutted that Fletcher has unable to play as they really rate him and say that he is under-rated by many including the pundits for his work rate and talent. I think that he goes about his business quietly and is often overlooked for praise because he always looks so comfortable on the ball. I think Scotland have really missed him and they still haven't found anyone big enough to fill his boots. But that just my opinion and that of a number of MU fans that watched him every week.

I think he's a good player maybe very good but he's not the player that will make that huge a difference. Look at Wales with Bale - and earlier, Giggs (OK maybe he didn't show it for Wales much), Bellamy and Rush. I don't think Fletcher is that class. You may disagree but I think these kind of players really stand out and they can turn a game themselves.

There are quite few wee countries of our standard - or even in the general run of player a wee bit below our standard - but who have one really top, class player, sometimes a really great play maker, sometimes a really good goalscorer. I don't believe we have that. I think we have some decent players, though nowhere near as good as we used to have and I think that even though we don't produce the number of good players we used to, we ought to occassionally still produce an exceptional player. But we don't seem to.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Good goals could have scored more, but they also could have our defense was crap second half, a decent team would have punished us

I thought Strachan should have taken the lightweight Bannan off early in the 2nd half and brought on someone with a bit of strength and energy. Especially when they were starting to take a grip of the game. Instead he waited until they were really dominating us and had been unlucky not to score - and then the change didn't make a lot of difference (except of course the sub won the free kick that led to the goal but that could easily not have happened) and we ended running our luck since as you say they could have scored several times.

Defence is only as good as the midfield in front of them.

It was a great result considering that several players were missing through injury. Strachan has done very well, better than expected, with limited resources.

Add the Fletchers, McGregor, Rhodes, Dorrans, Bridcutt etc to last night's squad and Strachan will have a decent pool of players to pick from. Mulgrew could then play in defence.

Johnny Russell seems to be doing well at Derby (who paid £750k for him) and should be given the chance to compete against Griffiths and Naismith for a place in the squad.

A wee story re Anya from the T.A. site. Scotland were playing in Spain a few years ago, on at the same time Glenn Hoddle was holding his trial matches for released players, one of which was unknown Anya. Some Scotland fans in full regalia took the game in, Anya made a run down the wing where the fans were standing and on his way back up the park he noticed the Scottish boys and he shouted over "By the way I'm fae Scotland" leaving the scots fans in fits of laughter.

Sorry to dampen down the optimism, but I saw a game won in the closing stages by a single goal in three, obtained from a set piece.

The Macedonians (certainly not a top European team) should have had a second goal when the Scottish defence was torn apart; but for poor decision-making, at that point the Scottish team would have been under the cosh. Their goal resulted from a high ball into the middle of the defence, too - as if we had no centre backs or goalkeepers used to punts into the box!

The whole Scottish team was slow in moving up or down the park. On various occasions a player was released and could have caused problems for the Macedonian defence, except that the rest of the team was huffing and puffing its way up the park much too late to offer any options.

Last night's result was pleasing because if Scotland are to start qualifying for tournaments again it is tricky, also-ran type teams like Macedonia that they need to learn to beat.

For me, there were a lot of positives to take from last night: both goalkeepers were solid; Brown and Mulgrew controlled things will in the centre of the park; Steven Naismith looked far better as a loan forward than Leigh Griffiths (he reminded me a bit of Gordon Durie as an average sized forward who is still good in the air) and could even be the successor to Kenny Miller; in Shaun Maloney and Charlie Mulgrew we have two lethal set piece operators; Ikechi Anya appears to have taken to international football like a duck to water - both he and James Forrest could really stretch teams with their pace if we play them on opposite flanks supporting a lone striker.

On the down side, we are short of quality in defence. Their goal looked like it was coming and it was avoidable. Hanley and Martin look like the safest bet for the time being though. Also, while it looks like we have people capable of creating chances, we need to find others who can be relied upon to convert them. Such a person may emerge in time, but that has been one of Scotland's problems for as long as I can remember.

Sorry to dampen down the optimism, but I saw a game won in the closing stages by a single goal in three, obtained from a set piece.

The Macedonians (certainly not a top European team) should have had a second goal when the Scottish defence was torn apart; but for poor decision-making, at that point the Scottish team would have been under the cosh. Their goal resulted from a high ball into the middle of the defence, too - as if we had no centre backs or goalkeepers used to punts into the box!

The whole Scottish team was slow in moving up or down the park. On various occasions a player was released and could have caused problems for the Macedonian defence, except that the rest of the team was huffing and puffing its way up the park much too late to offer any options.

That is grounds for optimism. Until now we have been loosing that sort of game consistently.

I take your point about being slow to offer support. I was screaming for someone to be up with Naismith and the camera pans out to show a couple of white shirts jogging over the half way line. Also, Walace had a throw near the end and everyone was static. He had no option but to throw it straight back to Macedonia

I thoubht that all things considered and considering the depths to which we've fell in recent years this was a really good result for Scotland. There have been inumerable false dawns over the years, of which I am unfortunately all too aware. However, I feel that Strachan has genuinely planted the seeds of recovery.

I thoubht that all things considered and considering the depths to which we've fell in recent years this was a really good result for Scotland. There have been inumerable false dawns over the years, of which I am unfortunately all too aware. However, I feel that Strachan has genuinely planted the seeds of recovery.

I agree with this. When all's said and done, an international manager can only get the best out of the players available to him; Strachan is like a wee wean that's fitba' mad - I mean that in a a positive way - and that seems to be rubbing off on his players. Although I want to stop myself going on about Levein, I need to say that he got the absolute worst out of his players, besides having no idea whatsoever about the job he was employed to do. Chuck in the fact that he was unsufferably arrogant and the upshot is that Strachan, as his successor, faces a monumental task in getting us back to the (relatively) good old days of glorious failure.

But I can see the restoration of something resembling 'normality' here, and I put that down to Strachan and his burning desire to do the very best that can be done for his country, ie a total commitment to getting players to run in front of a bus for Scotland, added to a helluva lot more knowledge about the game than his predecessor.

I wish him all the luck in the world, and sure, he'll need some of it or a lot of it, but for now at least I'm feeling good about Scotland again.

Make no mistake this was a good result for Scotland. I wouldnt change the central pairing of Brown and Mulgrew as the last 2 games have shown that they are probably the most comfortable players we have had on the ball for a long time. The add on from that is that the rest of theam grows in confidence and gets longer on the ball. I agree it was Macedonia but even though they are ranked 80ish in the world we still have to beat them.

I fully believe we now have a team that will compete and win against those who are ranked about us and will have a better chance of beating those who are ranked above us when we play them at home and possibly sneaking a result away. This gives us a much more realistic chance of qualifying for upcoming tournaments i.e. if the same team had been playing this way then I fully believe we would have started off with 6 points against Serbia and Macedonia as for what they might have achieved against Wales well recent results have shown them up for what exactly they are.

Remember it is all about opinions however things are looking much better.

I think he's a good player maybe very good but he's not the player that will make that huge a difference. Look at Wales with Bale - and earlier, Giggs (OK maybe he didn't show it for Wales much), Bellamy and Rush. I don't think Fletcher is that class. You may disagree but I think these kind of players really stand out and they can turn a game themselves.

Attacking players will always stand out more, so in that sense it's completely unfair to comapre a defensive midfielder to an attacking midfielder or a striker.

Just because he's not having such an obvious impact on a game as someone like Ronaldo then it doesn't mean he's not valued the same. As was mentioned above at one point Ferguson considered him as the first name on the team sheet.

The Macedonians (certainly not a top European team) should have had a second goal when the Scottish defence was torn apart

I'll take single goal in three victories on the road any day. And Brown should have had us ahead at half time. Or do you only consider their poor decisions or errors? It was a good performance and a good win. Not great, and we certainly didn't steam-roller them (though we were well ahead of them in the first half). But certainly a lot better than you are painting it. In my opinion....

Jeezo, some people are hard to please.We're talking about Scotland,remember ? A team who have underacheived for more years than I care to remember.Strachan has applied the same philosophy as the Jags and is trying to fill the team with players comfortable on the ball who can pass and if you had tuned into the first half without knowing who was playing you would have thought Scotland was the home team.When was the last time you saw a Scotland team dominate an away game ? And I include the "minnows" such as the Faroe Islands.

Anya is a terrific find and yes his final ball needs to improve but I think had Steven Fletcher or Rhodes been playing they would have made more of the balls that did get into the box.

As for suggesting that Darren Fletcher is not a great player I would agree that his performances for Scotland might appear underwhelming but that's because he is invariably trying to make up for the deficiencys of those around him.You do not play for MU unless you are better than good.Daglish was also criticised for his Scotland games mainly because a lot of his team mates couldn't read the game as well as he did

As for suggesting that Darren Fletcher is not a great player I would agree that his performances for Scotland might appear underwhelming but that's because he is invariably trying to make up for the deficiencys of those around him.You do not play for MU unless you are better than good.Daglish was also criticised for his Scotland games mainly because a lot of his team mates couldn't read the game as well as he did

Jeezo, I wish folk would stop misrepresenting me. I never said Fletcher wasn't good - in fact I said he was a good player - but he's not a game changer type of player. As for being first on the team sheet, sure but often the manager will have a player who is always picked because of the attitude and energy he brings as much as the skill. I'm sure Ferguson never thought he was better than Rooney, Giggs or Ronaldo.

My point is that if you look at a lot of teams that are the same or even a bit weaker than us, they often have one player who is really well above the rest and could easily have got into a stronger team if he'd been born in another country. Bale is an obvious example but there are others.

I was only saying we seem to be unlucky that way in that we don't have a player like that. We otherwise have some decent players and are improving but if we could find even one exceptional player our chances of qualifying for a top competition would vastly improve. Obviously that player will have to be someone in our under-17s or under 16s or even younger as there doesn't seem to be anyone likely on the horizon.

Sure Macedonia had a few chances, but so did Scotland - Browns one on one in the 1st half and the 3 in the 2nd that just slipped past the post.