So Long Gary Fraser

The Legend Blows

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/fraser-in-the-dock-after-kane-attack.22515857

The 19-year-old has been served a notice of complaint by the Scottish Football Association after being cited for "punching a player on the opposing team" and "thereafter kicking him repeatedly on the head and body".

The incident occurred in the 85th minute of the SPFL Under-20 League match at Firhill, which the hosts won 2-1. A heavy challenge led to a mass confrontation, during which, according to the report of referee Grant Irvine, Fraser was guilty of excessive misconduct.

Fraser was sent off along with Kane and Thistle's Dale Keenan. All players will incur an automatic two-match ban which applies for their respective senior sides.

However, Vincent Lunny, the compliance officer, has notified Thistle that Fraser has additionally been charged with breaching Rule 201 of the SFA's disciplinary guidelines.

If found guilty, the top-end punishment the former Hamilton Academical player could face is a one-year ban, while a 16-match suspension is also among the heavier sanctions.

An eight-match suspension is the mid-range penalty, while Fraser's absence would stretch to four games if the misdemeanour is deemed at the lower end of the scale.

The player will face a disciplinary hearing at Hampden Park on November 14, where his fate will be decided.

His performance against Dundee United was brilliant, I didnt know who he was until after the game, all I remember was number 22 being the best player on the park. Didn't understand why he had dropped out of the picture so soon afterwards, especially when we were going through a comparitively tricky spell a few games in. Seem he was a roaster.

Is it just my perception or are Scottish players not far far far more prone to this wasting of talent than elsewhere?

I would have liked to have seen more of him as he was excellent in our first couple of games.

Can't tolerate that type of behaviour regardless if it was in the heat of the moment or not.....

Back to bolton ya wee ned!

His performance against Dundee United was brilliant, I didnt know who he was until after the game, all I remember was number 22 being the best player on the park. Didn't understand why he had dropped out of the picture so soon afterwards, especially when we were going through a comparitively tricky spell a few games in. Seem he was a roaster.

Is it just my perception or are Scottish players not far far far more prone to this wasting of talent than elsewhere?

^^^

A couple of fannies.

Hopefully the ban isn't long and he'll be back near the first team soon.

^^^

A couple of fannies.

So you think that ""punching a player on the opposing team" and "thereafter kicking him repeatedly on the head and body" is acceptable behaviour in a Thistle shirt? Fraser should be sent back to Bolton pronto and you should see a psychiatrist.

Muirhead got a 4 game ban (lower end) for his head butt. So Fraser's ban is likely to be longer, 8 (mid-range) to 16 games (heavier) or even more, i.e. the rest of his loan period.

Edited by kni

^^^

A couple of fannies.

I'm all for players getting stuck in and had absolutely no problem with Muirhead sticking the nut on that ****** in the cup final but booting a guy in the chops when you have just punched him to the ground (as reported by various people at the u-20 game) is totally out of order.

And as others poined out in the other thread it seems a likely indication of why Hamilton froze him out and were happy for him to go to Bolton and could also be behind the fact he has been nowhere near the team in months despite having one of the best debuts I can remember.

Horrible to hear and totally unacceptable behaviour.

I believe players deserve a second chance, especially if they are promising and young. Hopefully they learn from such actions.

I think Muirhead has learned from his moment of stupidity against QoS but this incident is far worse and appears to be less of a heat-of-the-moment instant reaction and more sinister, in my opinion.

However, with Archie and Shaggy frequently citing player's attitude and work ethics as being of vital importance, I think Fraser will have to leave. Or at least never pull on a Thistle jersey again. If not, then our management are risking having double standards or not sticking to their word.

You do have to question Fraser's attitude and character. I hope he learns and is given a second chance as he has real potential and think he could still help our team this season.

Why are we bringing Muirhead into this conversation? His actions were in totally different circumstances. Cup final (albeit diddy), last minute, just missed a penalty. It was stupid and dangerous but this is a completely different level. To run up and kick a player in the head/chest after punching him, in an U20's match, is unbelievable from a professional footballer. He's a talented boy but I hope he gets done for assault in all honesty. No place for a run and volley to a player's head at Firhill.

• Like 1

I believe players deserve a second chance, especially if they are promising and young. Hopefully they learn from such actions.

I think Muirhead has learned from his moment of stupidity against QoS but this incident is far worse and appears to be less of a heat-of-the-moment instant reaction and more sinister, in my opinion.

However, with Archie and Shaggy frequently citing player's attitude and work ethics as being of vital importance, I think Fraser will have to leave. Or at least never pull on a Thistle jersey again. If not, then our management are risking having double standards or not sticking to their word.

You do have to question Fraser's attitude and character. I hope he learns and is given a second chance as he has real potential and think he could still help our team this season.

If Archie stays consistent to his work ethics for his players, he will have to go. If he keeps him, there will be a bit of disquiet from some Jags fans.

Why are we bringing Muirhead into this conversation? His actions were in totally different circumstances. Cup final (albeit diddy), last minute, just missed a penalty. It was stupid and dangerous but this is a completely different level. To run up and kick a player in the head/chest after punching him, in an U20's match, is unbelievable from a professional footballer. He's a talented boy but I hope he gets done for assault in all honesty. No place for a run and volley to a player's head at Firhill.

Don't forget the opposition player going right up to him and laughing in his face. If the guy keeps away nothing would have happend. Going and looking for a guy who's already on the ground is comlpete different.

You are right to say that Fraser's actions are at a different level. Muirhead is only relevant for because he was also called to a disciplinary hearing and got an increased ban, i.e. as a baseline to estimate Fraser's likely ban. As I commented earlier, Muirhead's 4 match ban was at the lower end of the scale so Fraser should get between 8 and 16 games, perhaps more.

Edited by kni

can I just add, for clarification, that initial reports from guys at the game was that Keenan was no where near the incident and his sending off may have been a case of mistaken identity - not sure if the club will appeal his sending off

Does anyone know who Keenan was mistaken for and the reason for the red card?

I wasn't at the game but a little bit of context from John Potter, the Dunfermline U20 coach:

Potter said: “It was an ugly collision. Gary lost the plot for a few seconds but it’s ridiculous to suggest it’s worthy of a one-year ban.

“He came into the dressing room after the game to apologise and Chris was happy to accept that.

“Chris is someone who knows the game and is no shrinking violet himself so I’m sure he’d be happy to speak in defence of the severity of the incident.”

• Like 4

Does anyone know who Keenan was mistaken for and the reason for the red card?

Think I read Duggan, for throwing punches.

Which is still terrible and he should get a ban too, but it's the running and kicking someone on the deck that I find unforgivable.

Duggan should be punished but clearly not to the extent of Fraser.

• Like 1

He'll have to take his punishment on the chin. As stated by John Potter it was a heat of the moment incident and the Dunfy player involved has been sent off three times in the u20s this season.

Played well against DU and I'm sure he was on the end of one Butcher's tackles and didn't react. He also did okay against Hearts but appeared to be fouled on two occassions on the build-up to their equalizer.

Hasn't played since Motherwell away so there could be an element of frustration but whatever it was it is something he needs to sort out for his own good.

I recall reading that he bought out his contract at Hamilton so he could get a move this season. I'm sure most of us have done things in the heat of the moment that we regret. The problems tend to occur when you don't learn from your mistakes. Hopefully Gary bounces back once his suspension is over and he has a successful career.

Edited by jagfox
  • Like 3

You're confusing me here. What's it to be? Out the door or rehabilitation?

Archie skirted around the issue on Sportsound the other night and could do so as he wasn't there. John Potter has also put things into context.

He will get a significant ban. It will be up to Archie to manage the situation to the least detriment of the Club. I'm sure he will do that, but ultimately it will be up to Gary Fraser to sort himself out and ensure there is never a repeat.