Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

Same goes for all your doomsday pals.

I'm guessing this is aimed at me.

I'll start by saying I'm a realist. The aim of the season has always been about staying up. Whether that be through play offs or finishing 10th or higher it doesn't matter.

I also know Archibald will remain in his job no matter what happens this season.

I've said on here before that the man should be given more support by BoD in terms of scouting network & proper training facilities.

However as time has gone on it's become apparent to me (& others) that he has no plan B & that is costing us points.

It's a forum & by definition it will have differing views. Doesn't mean you're right, doesn't mean I'm right either.

However you mention Doomsday...

Propco gone quiet these days wouldn't you agree?

Property market starting to pick up also...

Just saying.

No, but I think every manager in the bottom half has shown tactical naïveté. Some have been in their job for a long time, some have been managers for even longer. Some, if not all have a far greater infrastructure to call upon.

Should they be sacked? some of them.

Should Archie? No.

We are less than a handful of points away from 7th. We are 1 point away from survival with 5 games to play.

Have we, for the majority of the season played attractive football? Yes.

Have we done so with a largely inexperienced squad? Yes.

If we stay up, will these players and manager have a full seasons experience of the top flight under their belt? Yes.

Will that better prepare them for next season? Yes.

Like I said. I know Archibald will be in charge next season.

I just think there are worrying signs that after a year in the job & best part of 7 months in this league he's making the same mistakes again & again.

Bit like Campbell.

He's not taking responsibility for his team selections & his mistakes -Saturday's post match comments another example of this.

Bit like Campbell.

He's a jags legend though.

Not like Campbell.

Need to agree to differ on it. Worth revisiting in October/November though.

Probably have a better idea at that point whose 'argument' is correct.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong but as time has gone on this season I fear the worst.

Would you agree that playing this formation we have shipped more points in the last 5 mins of games than we ever have?

Can we also look at the amount of points we would've had if the games stopped at 85mins?

Can somebody point out to me the relevance of losing goals from the 85 minute onwards? Is this a thing that only happens to Partick Thistle? Does a game last 90 minutes? If so a goal can be scored anytime from the first seconds to the final whistle. If you think that our manager tactically inept because we have lost some goals from the 85 minute onwards I suggest you watch Gillette Soccer Specials on Sky and just see how many teams, including very good ones, lose goals in the last 5 minutes of matches. Lot of top diddy managers out there by the looks of it!!

Edited by Lindau

At the moment there are still 5 games to go. Whether he has met his target or not is a question for the end of the season.

You really are an embarrassment to yourself - no wonder you don't put your own name to your posts.

Same goes for all your doomsday pals.

Not sure why you think personal insults are helpful.... Pressure ?

Finishing 11th is not a good achievement at all. It's like beating the asthmatic fat kid in a race or Rangers winning League 1.

The fact that we are so close to Hearts point total is actually very poor given their resources.

Apart from out lowly position Saturday's humiliation was another in a list of terrible results.

Aberdeen, Dundee United, St Mirren, Motherwell, Motherwell again, Ross County, and Celtic.

Archibald's should be gone by now. Saturday was the last straw for me, and a number of other Thistle fans.

Finishing 11th is not a good achievement at all. It's like beating the asthmatic fat kid in a race or Rangers winning League 1.

The fact that we are so close to Hearts point total is actually very poor given their resources.

Apart from out lowly position Saturday's humiliation was another in a list of terrible results.

Aberdeen, Dundee United, St Mirren, Motherwell, Motherwell again, Ross County, and Celtic.

Archibald's should be gone by now. Saturday was the last straw for me, and a number of other Thistle fans.

The last straw? What now for you?

The last straw? What now for you?

I was supportive of Archie to a degree a few weeks ago but now I am of the opinion that has to go before he pulls us down with his lower league level managerial skills.

It's no disgrace to admit to a job being too big for you but he has to take that first step.

I was supportive of Archie to a degree a few weeks ago but now I am of the opinion that has to go before he pulls us down with his lower league level managerial skills.

It's no disgrace to admit to a job being too big for you but he has to take that first step.

Ok, so bearing in mind you are in a ridiculously large minority. What now?

Do you keep posting on this thread alone?

Or do you write a letter to the chairman or maxi?

Or do you start booing at every game?

As the teams from 7th to 11th are separated by only 4 points then we are obviously ALL poor. Hibs, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Ross County have bigger budgets. Only Kimarnock have a manager who is as least experienced as Archibald. So they are even poorer than Archie in comparison?

You don't really think this through, do you?

In regards to Allan Johnston he may have been only a manager a short time but his playing career was quite expansive including several English Clubs (Sunderland, Birmingham, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday and Middlesborough) and Rennes in France . He played in 18 internationals for Scotland and also played for diddy teams in Scotland like Hearts, Rangers, Kilmarnock, St. Mirren and finally QoS. Archie has played at two clubs, us and the Arabs. So Johnston has had a greater wealth of experience to fall back on too and as I mentioned before has Sandy Clark as his number 2. He was also named as Scotland's manager of the year for 2012-13.

Edited by The Sunnylaw Jag
  • Like 1

So you want the manager sacked with 5 games to go when we still have a great chance of being in the same league next season and bring in who? You said Saturday was the last straw for you, you won't be missed, believe me! Supporter my arse!

Edited by Lindau

As the teams from 7th to 11th are separated by only 4 points then we are obviously ALL poor. Hibs, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Ross County have bigger budgets. Only Kimarnock have a manager who is as least experienced as Archibald. So they are even poorer than Archie in comparison?

You don't really think this through, do you?

I don't rate any of the managers in the bottom 6. Are you saying we can't have a manager better than the likes of Allan Johnstone or Danny Lennon?

For what it's worth I think even Danny Lennon would do better than Archie with our squad. Guys like Higginbotham would walk into that St Mirren team.

I don't rate any of the managers in the bottom 6. Are you saying we can't have a manager better than the likes of Allan Johnstone or Danny Lennon?

Like another poster I do think your opinions are verging on the schizophrenic, so much so that I never know if you're just on a continual wind up. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and await a list of better managers than Johnston, Lennon and Mr Archibald that we could have.

Looking forward to your reply.

For what it's worth I think even Danny Lennon would do better than Archie with our squad. Guys like Higginbotham would walk into that St Mirren team.

Danny Lennon, under any circumstances would not do a better job than Archie.

Like another poster I do think your opinions are verging on the schizophrenic, so much so that I never know if you're just on a continual wind up. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and await a list of better managers than Johnston, Lennon and Mr Archibald that we could have.

Looking forward to your reply.

On your next visit to the Job Centre to get your dole money just pick the nearest person in their twenties.

As long as they have Football Manager experience they'll know not to take off your best player when you're behind in a game.

Danny Lennon, under any circumstances would not do a better job than Archie.

True he's only won the league cup and kept his team in the top flight for years on end. Our manager bottled our cup final with another unmotivated performance from his players.

On your next visit to the Job Centre to get your dole money just pick the nearest person in their twenties.

As long as they have Football Manager experience they'll know not to take off your best player when you're behind in a game.

OK, and your list of better managers than Johnston, Lennon and Alan Archibald that we can get is?

True he's only won the league cup and kept his team in the top flight for years on end. Our manager bottled our cup final with another unmotivated performance from his players.

Wait a minute I'm getting mixed up, you're now saying that survival alone is deemed a success. Yet you aren't willing to give Archie the chance to achieve that once?

Do you think Lennon is a better manager than Archibald, when you look at the training complex, community initiatives, brand new stadium and the ability to pay players 3000+ a week? And yet he can only take that team a point above Archie's team?

How do you think Lennon would do if he didn't have the facilities and a wage budget 3 times ours?

Can somebody point out to me the relevance of losing goals from the 85 minute onwards? Is this a thing that only happens to Partick Thistle? Does a game last 90 minutes? If so a goal can be scored anytime from the first seconds to the final whistle. If you think that our manager tactically inept because we have lost some goals from the 85 minute onwards I suggest you watch Gillette Soccer Specials on Sky and just see how many teams, including very good ones, lose goals in the last 5 minutes of matches. Lot of top diddy managers out there by the looks of it!!

Was going to try stay out of this now but in seeing you quoted me I'll take my right to reply.

Turning the argument on its head, aside from Doolan's goal a fortnight ago, I don't think we've scored a goal against any team late on that's got us something from a game.

Now that either means we're bring very unlucky (that word again) or other managers can see out the game against us. I'll leave that with you.

On the goals conceded after 85 mins. Yeah plenty go in in the last few mins of games but I'm willing to bet only a small % actually affect the overall result (we conceded 2 vs Celtic cpl weeks back when game is over). Our stats on the other hand show if the game was to finish at 85mins we'd be at least 11 points (from memory) better off.

So in short, other managers can close the game out against us but our manager seems unable to do same for us on too many occasions for it to be 'unlucky' or coincidence.

However just you console yourself that there are many diddy managers on Gilette Soccer Special!!!

Edited by Trotter

Why then on the St Mirren equivalent of this forum is there an equally large thread stating "Lennon Must Go", could it be that football fans in general don't really appreciate their managers or the jobs they do until they are not there?

No manager goes through a career without some ups and downs but if you panic at the downs then you miss the opportunity to experience the highs. Thistle in recent years have shown themselves to be up for doing things differently from other clubs - U16s go free and wacky away kits for example so lets show ourselves as different from all the other clubs and actually commit to a manager and give him time!

:lol: :lol: Yeah! There was NO motivation in going unbeaten under Archie to win the league and promotion.

I'm not going to say there's no motivation under Archie this season or last but consider this...

Do you think last season we had a group of players whose possible motivation was to win the league to prove to another manager he 'd left us? Or maybe even a certain manager of another Div 1 team who thought they had the title in the bag in February?

Not detracting from Archibald there btw. Just suggesting there were other motivating factors also.

Why then on the St Mirren equivalent of this forum is there an equally large thread stating "Lennon Must Go", could it be that football fans in general don't really appreciate their managers or the jobs they do until they are not there?

No manager goes through a career without some ups and downs but if you panic at the downs then you miss the opportunity to experience the highs. Thistle in recent years have shown themselves to be up for doing things differently from other clubs - U16s go free and wacky away kits for example so lets show ourselves as different from all the other clubs and actually commit to a manager and give him time!

& going back to my friend Dickie C....

Should we have given him more time?

& if not what's the difference saying what you say now & then?