Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

I'm not going to say there's no motivation under Archie this season or last but consider this...

Do you think last season we had a group of players whose possible motivation was to win the league to prove to another manager he 'd left us? Or maybe even a certain manager of another Div 1 team who thought they had the title in the bag in February?

Not detracting from Archibald there btw. Just suggesting there were other motivating factors also.

You just don't want to give credit where its due, even when its slapped you in the face.Any feeble argument to try and make a irrelevant point.

Some serious rewriting of history going on with regards to Dick Campbell.

To compare him to Archiebald is nothing short of derogatory.

Under DC, the league placings were clear. We were officially the worst full time team in Scotland. We fluked promotion by finishing 4th. To compare DC's promotion to Archie's is ridiculous. Campbell scraped through the playoffs against Stranraer and Peterhead. Archie actually WON the division, not the 2nd, the 1st. Our budget last season wasn't even in the top 5. We had no right to win that league last year - yet we did. And Archie was the manager for the most crucial period, achieving what Jackie couldn't - winning consistently away from home.

The information on Campbell's tenure at Thistle is freely available, the stats and the results. People might want to consider that before making ridiculous comparisons with Archiebald.

Edited by ian_mac

You just don't want to give credit where its due, even when its slapped you in the face.Any feeble argument to try and make a irrelevant point.

I said I wasn't detracting from Archibald.

I'm guessing your footballing experience is limited to 5-a-sides if you can't see where a manager (or player) going to a perceived better team is not a motivational factor for you & your team.

Best example I can give is Sandy Clark's first game. Molly Stallon could've picked the team, set the formation & given the team talks & we would still have beaten Hamilton that day.

Ironically enough his only win as Thistle manager.

I said I wasn't detracting from Archibald.

I'm guessing your footballing experience is limited to 5-a-sides if you can't see where a manager (or player) going to a perceived better team is not a motivational factor for you & your team.

Best example I can give is Sandy Clark's first game. Molly Stallon could've picked the team, set the formation & given the team talks & we would still have beaten Hamilton that day.

Ironically enough his only win as Thistle manager.

Oh Dear! Resorting to personal abuse. Classic signs of a lost argument.

& going back to my friend Dickie C....

Should we have given him more time?

& if not what's the difference saying what you say now & then?

That is a fair question. As I recall Campbell had the equivalent of 2 seasons in charge so has had more time than Archie. Also, Campbell was a more experienced manager and had a better hand to play with in terms of being a full time club up against part time ones and having a decent budget after promotion compared to Archie at the moment.

I know it is not exactly logically or something that can be explained in a scientific manner but I just feel that Archie has something about him that, if given time, will show him to be an excellent manager for our club.

However just you console yourself that there are many diddy managers on Gilette Soccer Special!!!

I console myself with the fact that there are about 5 diddy posters on here, starting with you! Thankfully the majority are true jags fans that back the club and management team in its quest to stay in the top league

Edited by Lindau

Some serious rewriting of history going on with regards to Dick Campbell.

To compare him to Archiebald is nothing short of derogatory.

Under DC, the league placings were clear. We were officially the worst full time team in Scotland. We fluked promotion by finishing 4th. To compare DC's promotion to Archie's is ridiculous. Campbell scraped through the playoffs against Stranraer and Peterhead. Archie actually WON the division, not the 2nd, the 1st. Our budget last season wasn't even in the top 5. We had no right to win that league last year - yet we did. And Archie was the manager for the most crucial period, achieving what Jackie couldn't - winning consistently away from home.

Anyone who is comparing Archie to DC is nothing short of mentally unstable. Or the The Cup's case - bipolar.

Don't think there's any need for personal insults. Especially those of the mental health 'variety'. You obviously don't pay much attention to national campaigns.

As for Campbell. He was shoite. How do we know that? History.

How will Archibald's tenure be remembered? Well we don't have a crystal ball to see.

I'm commenting in the here & now. I'm also commenting on facts.

I'm not saying sack him today. I'm saying unless he can demonstrate he can do something different & be reactive during games then we're going to go nowhere.

He's in post & folk claim he's still "learning the job". Fair enough but if you're not learning fast enough you'll be left behind.

Just now I feel we're being left behind. Opinion.

I console myself with the fact that there are about 5 diddy posters on here, starting with you!

Explain?

I'm a diddy because I have a different opinion than you?

Name calling very childish also. Well seeing it's a school holiday!!

I console myself with the fact that there are about 5 diddy posters on here, starting with you! Thankfully the majority are true jags fans that back the club and management team in its quest to stay in the top league

You are in turmoil here. It would be in your best interest to stop posting.

You are in turmoil here. It would be in your best interest to stop posting.

To be fair. You've a different opinion than him, like myself. That makes us (& the other 3 apparently) wrong & him right. Forget the fact it's a forum, it's more like a lodge!!!

I'm struggling to find the personal a use in my reply. Tell me more...

The 5-a-side comment?

It was a question.

That was not a question, Re-read your post, it is put down as an opinion, with no hint of a question on there! And I have coached/managed full 11 a side adult amateur sides, and I find that motivation comes in different forms and situations. It is how the manager uses that to the best ability and channels it to his players and knowing how they would use it to best advantage. So the manager does have a roll in it. You cannot see that, can you?

• Like 1

God, there's only 5 of us that think Archie is not the Chosen One to take our club forward.

Ps. I would love to be proven wrong and he keeps us in the top league for the next 5 - 10 yrs and gets us to the Holy Grale that is Europe, and becomes one of our longest serving managers, but I can't see it happening.

• Like 1

That was not a question, Re-read your post, it is put down as an opinion, with no hint of a question on there! And I have coached/managed full 11 a side adult amateur sides, and I find that motivation comes in different forms and situations. It is how the manager uses that to the best ability and channels it to his players and knowing how they would use it to best advantage. So the manager does have a roll in it. You cannot see that, can you?

I said I'm guessing he's not played football at a level above 5-a-sides. It may not have been phrased as a direct question but I was looking for a reply.

& I think I said that there were different forms if motivation & not detracting from Archibald last season.

& I have played senior football so know, yes.

Edited by Trotter

I think there should be a review, but not of Archie's place but of who could be brought in to help him. Gary Locke has Billy Brown with who has extensive experience, incidentally Gary himself has been the first team coach since 2010. Allan Johnston has Sandy Clark who we all know is a terrible manager but a good coach of long standing.

if anyone was to be brought in it would need to be Archie's choice. No way would anyone be brought in just for the sake of it.

Erm... Is it not a school holiday?

Your wit knows no bounds! You and your pals are just trolling. No posts after our good results in the past 6 weeks then one bad result and out you come. At least be bloody consistent.

Edited by Lindau

Your wit knows no bounds! You and your pals are just trolling. No posts after our good results in the past 6 weeks then one bad result and out you come. At least be bloody consistent.

1 point from 12 so hardly waiting for a bad result.

Haven't changed my mind since this thread first appeared but here's something.

No name calling. No questions. Just some facts for those calling us 'doomsayers' etc.

Since the start of November

Played 22

Won 3

Clean sheets 2

Conceded 44

We're going into the final 5 games of the season where teams will take ponta of each other I know but I think we need 2 wins & maybe even a draw to finish above 11th.

All those goals we've conceded on the last 5 mins of games is set to come back & haunt us. Playoffs beckon I think.

Still think we've a good chance of survival but unless there's a vast improvement on the above you're not going to convince me he's the right man to take us to the next level.

Like I've said, I hope I'm proved wrong but...

Post 10 from the Hearts thread below:

They are still alive, so they will be dangerous opponents, albeit hanging by the proverbial thread.

They will fight to the death for sure, so we cannot be complacent. Aberdeen have not beaten them in three attempts this season.

These three points are not a given, and Archie would do well to drill that into the players.

Ok last ten games of the six teams at the bottom, only Hearts have won more points than us. Fed up saying it and maybe time to stick to it, but time to discuss the manager will be at the end of the last game of the season, be it a league game or the play off final. One of the two groups will be proved right!

Edited by Lindau

The blame for Saturday to me lies with the players. He trusted guys like Lyle Taylor lee mair higanbotham to go out and put in a shift as we did as well. While there were younger lads in the team these guys are not kids its hardly like Archie could run onto the pitch and give them a row. While they have done good on the pitch plenty of other times it was they who let the supporters down on Saturday.

And before anyone says Archie picks the players well yes he does but there's no way he picked these grown ups to be so bad on Saturday no manager would have. It's the players who I blame for Saturdays debacle