Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

Like he says, the goals came down to individual errors. The team does need changing.

But apart from Hearts we must have the smallest squad in the league. Who is there to bring in? Sure, Balatoni, Piccolo, and others might need a serious rest, but if the manager doesn't have anyone to replace them with, then what the f**k's he meant to do? He can bollock them out all week, and it's not going to stop O'Donnell getting the pish ripped out of him or make ATS actually cross a ball properly.

This thread should really be The Board Must Help Archie Next Month.

As manager the purpose is to manage his resources , define and organise the format they play in , understanding his players capabilities and weakness as well as the oppositions. So far the manager has reiterated the same reasoning for the string of recent bad results. That reason is that its individuals errors . Is it that the players cant maintain concentration for 90 minutes ? are they in a format that they are being asked to do more than they are capable of ? Is it that when those individual errors occur that we are unique in the fact that we are so unlucky that we are punished for them in a high percentage of cases in every game?

No, he doesn't need to bollock them , he just needs to emphasis what the roles is and what there positioning should be and what is expected of them organisationally, in the two examples you highlight , they should be defending full backs that have the pace to recover and not allow individuals to cut inside of them with ease instead of being marauding wing backs caught in no mans land when the ball is lost.

On today games the Thistle goal was a very well constructed and well taken goal .

The defending at the corner prior to Motherwell's equaliser 4 Thistle players are drawn to the near post were two challenge each other for the ball.

In the equaliser i don't know who raises their hands in appeal and keeps them there till the balls in the back of the net , the same player who made the initial pass for the thistle goal and stood back and admired it , well at the equaliser his man made the run and scored while he was still appealing, They effectively were Ball watching at crucial points in all those cases.

That is the manager/coach responsibility to organise and create a format were those lapses in concentration are minimized or covered.

I think the management/coach needs some assistance at this level , who can they turn to for advice ? I think that also might be a limitation when it comes to contacts within the game at this level.

well said mr blackpool.

this thread has excelled itself. after reading through the carcrash that was the ttl~industrial unit~greaves~puma~joma thread, i mistakenly thought i'd never see another thread on this site this season which contained the quantity of ludicrous and embarrassing posts that that thread produced. this thread has surpassed it in a fraction of the time. it is to be hoped many posters on this thread awake tomorrow and are embarrassed at the dawning memory of what they have posted in the past 10 hours.

The posters on here who clearly have an agenda against Archibald, haven't offered any opinions on what we do to rectify it, what players to possibly bring in or even any potential managers to go for.

I am just as pissed off and angry as any other Jags supporter, BUT throwing your toys out of your pram doesn't solve problems, it only makes you look a TIT!

Archie is less than a year into the job and from where we where to where we are has been a remarkable journey. He should be given until the end of the season AT LEAST!

We could do a Vincent Tan and sack the manager and manage the team from the directors box. I wonder if David Beattie has his coaching badges!! :thinking:

Good Morning. Having had a few hours to let yesterday's result sink in, hopefully everyone is a bit more relaxed.

We got turned over by a clinical performance from a Motherwell team, they took their chances, it happens.

Looking at the game v ICT (one of the better teams in the league this season) where we should have won the game, v Kilmarnock where we had chances to win the game, Hibs where we should have won the game. I'd be a lot more concerned if we weren't competing in games, but we are. The chances are being created, and if we take them in the 4 January games then we'll be fine.

Archie's biggest job this week is picking the players up after that yesterday. Get them into a frame of mind where they go to Parkhead and give a performance. If they can take any confidence from the Celtic game then it will set us up for Tynecastle.

I would love to agree with the sentiment of this but I feel there is more to todays defeat than just being turned over by a more experienced team. The problems are far deeper than that.We were played off the park today but we have lost games in which we have dominated with the same recurring errors and mistakes and yet week in week out we are failing to rectify them to any extent and in fact seem to be getting worse.

The worst thing about today was that it looked like the players quite frankly didnt know what their jobs were and that is damning. Your players can be Sh1te , but at least be sh1te and organised.

When we lose the ball in the opposition half it looks like the keystone cops trying to get back and defend.

The amount of times we lose the same goal is staggering....full back looses the ball up the field attacking out of position , ball over the top, central defender comes across leaving the gap , ball into opposition forward, goal.

Yes the managers really , really have to step it up now.Whatever theyre doing with the players in training isnt working in an organisational sense.

Hope they are in tomorrow at 8 o'clock and do nothing but defending drills for the next couple of days until the celtic game.That looks like a damage limitation excercise now.

Cmon Archie, finger oot time.

We were played off the park in the 2nd half once it went to 4-1. I know that sounds insane, but again we didn't get the breaks when it mattered. The foul on Lawless that may well have been a penalty. The resulting free kick where the well wall was only 6 yards away and to top it all, the foul on Balatoni that wasn't given for McFadden to score. For goodness sake, McFadden was booked later on for the exact same challenge. You also mention that Motherwell scored from situations where our defenders lose the ball.That is how Motherwell beat Aberdeen the other day.

Who cares what the result against Celtic is. It is the next 3 that really matter.

we didn't get the breaks when it mattered. The foul on Lawless that may well have been a penalty. The resulting free kick where the well wall was only 6 yards away and to top it all, the foul on Balatoni that wasn't given for McFadden to score.

You've just basically lifted that straight off the half time round up on the commentary page... Did you watch the game? Did you write the commentary?

You do know that it can't be a penalty claim if he isn't inside the box?

The wall was more than 6 yards back.

Balatoni wasn't fouled for their third, he was brushed aside as if he wasn't there.

Not sure just now if Archie should be given more time,loved his commitment as a player and because of what he achieved last year probably deserves a little more time. Unfortunately we seem to persist with the same pattern of play and teams have sussed us out,we are defending far too high a line up the park thus exposing our lack of pace at the back( Balatoni in particular )Listened to Stuart Mcalls interview post match almost the same as Derek McIness's interview earlier on in the season ie knew how Thistle would play ,pushing fullbacks up so decided to play 2 wingers. Archie's decisions the last month are almost beyond belief, Gabby and Muirhead played well at Hibs,the abandoned game at Firhill (45 mins) not much to go on there ,then Muirhead gets dropped for Balatoni !,last week against Inverness,team playing really well and he takes off Higgy after 70 mins,then today makes Elliot the scapegoat after 30 mins to make way for the bundle of energy that is Ross Forbes,not really sure what any of these decisions are all about and finally do we ever watch our next opposition and see how they play ?

Muirhead didn't get dropped - he wasnt fully fit. Piccolo and Balatoni then played in our only shut out since day 1. Should that partnership have been broken up for yesterday. For me there was nothing particularly mind blowing about the substitutions, except maybe bringing off Lawless - but at that point the game was already lost.

Muirhead didn't get dropped - he wasnt fully fit. Piccolo and Balatoni then played in our only shut out since day 1. Should that partnership have been broken up for yesterday. For me there was nothing particularly mind blowing about the substitutions, except maybe bringing off Lawless - but at that point the game was already lost.

Why did he swap the physical and pacy Elliott for the statuesque and one dimensional Forbes. Please don't say for his dead ball delivery. I think we can put that nonsense to bed once and for all.

You've just basically lifted that straight off the half time round up on the commentary page... Did you watch the game? Did you write the commentary?

You do know that it can't be a penalty claim if he isn't inside the box?

The wall was more than 6 yards back.

Balatoni wasn't fouled for their third, he was brushed aside as if he wasn't there.

Penalties have been given in those situations. The free kick was on the edge of the box, which is 18 yards out, right. The wall wasn't even in line with the penalty spot, which is 12 yards out. I make that 6 yards.

So you think McFaddens booking and the challenge on Balatoni weren't the same. By the way, this is a rhetorical question. I am not looking for a smart arse response

Why did he swap the physical and pacy Elliott for the statuesque and one dimensional Forbes. Please don't say for his dead ball delivery. I think we can put that nonsense to bed once and for all.

Wow PT, you seem to have turned your sights on me again. I don't know why he replaced Elliot. However, he hadn't made much of a contribution up to that point. Maybe he has picked up the same bug as Muirhead and MacMillan

Too easy to over-react to yesterday's heavy defeat to a good side. Archie should use the game against Celtic to solidify the defence and forget about attacking. If the score is respectible (say 2-0) then that would provide a platform to work on. I'm presuming that John Lambie's advice has been sought from time to time - if not then it should be PRONTO. One thing did strike me from yesterday's game: when Thistle players lost possession they did not chase back to regain it - as they did every time under John Lambie. There are some simple lessons that can be learned that would make us a more difficult side to beat. Changing the manager mid-season is not one of them. The Board have to show faith in Archie and dig deeper into their pockets to strengthen the squad. That is obvious but needs repeating.

Not at all peagreenboy. With respect you are completely missing my point and seem too quick to criticise other people's opinions without understanding them. Let me try and make it simpler to understand from one jags fan to another. My realistic expectations are that we will finish 10th and stay in the league. Plain and simple. Nothing more. But in doing so, I also expected to COMPETE with the other teams in this league that I mentioned. There is a massive difference between winning games and being competitive in them. Do Hull City expect to beat Man U? No. But do they expect to be competitive? Yes. And they have been. I wouldn't mind getting beat in EVERY game by ALL of those teams this season if at least I felt we were competing. But we haven't been. I have supported Thistle for over 25 years and I recall our so called provincial club under the Lambie era 'competing' successfully with the Old Firm, never mind your Motherwells. Did we take many points off them? No chance. But did we let them know they had a game when the final whistle went? You better believe it. If I wanted to support a consistently winning team, I clearly wouldn't have followed Thistle for so long. But there's nothing wrong with expecting more. Stop berating your own supporters for having a bit of ambition peagreenboy.

Exactly

Wow PT, you seem to have turned your sights on me again. I don't know why he replaced Elliot. However, he hadn't made much of a contribution up to that point. Maybe he has picked up the same bug as Muirhead and MacMillan

I've not turned my sights on you at all, for goodness sake! I've asked you to clarify what you meant in a couple of posts you made this morning. One being a direct lift from the official website... The other you said "For me there was nothing particularly mind blowing about the substitution" but now you say you don't know why he replaced Elliott and guess that it might be that he wasn't involved in the first 25 minutes or that he might be ill.

I'll repeat again, regardless of historical errors by referees, you can't claim for a penalty when the foul happens at least a foot outside the box. The defender was static, there is no claim for a penalty. I haven't said the wall was the full distance back, it clearly wasn't, but to suggest it was only 6 yards is incorrect. One side of the wall is probably 8 or 9 yards away. It's a pity neither forbes or Sinclair, who was standing beside the ref brought up the distance.

I'm not sure what booking you are talking about, McFadden didn't get booked and was subbed off on 78 minutes.

Archie deserves the transfer window to rectify the errors(and longer in my opinion). If Tidser, and an experienced centre half come in to join Taylor, then I think you've got to happy with that.

Re the experienced defender someone like McManus yesterday. Cruised through the game, I didn't even know he was playing until I switched on alba.

Gerry Collins would do a better job

Under Gerry Collins we got 2 points from 17 games and were bottom, we do have more than that.

In the cups under Collins it took SPL Partick Thistle to penalties to beat Third Divison Peterhead.

Gerry Collins was also a real bully who didnt believe in keeping youth structures, proper football diets etc

Archie is not going to be sacked even if we are relegated