Hearts V Jags

The Cup

Archie after the game today.

I might be looking into it too much but it doesn't sound like he's confident of moving up the table at all...

Nonsense, he knows we're better than Ross County/St.Mirren/Kilmarnock, Publicly he'll be saying 10th is the target (which it undoubtedly is) but there's no reason we can't finish 8th, we should be 10-15pts better off than we currently are given chances missed & performances over the season.

might be worth going for :

fox

o'donnell muirhead piccolo ats

lawless craigen forbes higgy

taylor doolan

to make it a bit easier on the midfield leaving kerr to come on for 20 minutes or even mcmillan. wilson and muirhead also have done well in midfield.

Wasn't able to make it to either of the last two games but I wonder if Muirhead coming into a defensive midfield role has helped? He may give bite to the midfield we've lacked since Osbourne got injured and it must be a big help having an extra centre half to defend set pieces.

Any comment from folk who did make the games?

Just back from Swinecastle. What a feckin joke getting in to that ground was. We were lucky that we got in just before Lyle scored the first, thank God. Great start to the day with £15 on Lyle to score the first goal at 6/1 and £15 on him at anytime at 7/4. You have hit the nail on the head. Masterstroke by Archie putting Aero just in front of the defence. We look a more solid unit now. Hearts piled the pressure on in the 2nd half but other than them hitting the bar and a couple of reasonably comfortable saves from Foxy, we werent really troubled. The signing of Taylor is gonna prove massive for us. He put in a power of work, held the ball up brilliantly and brought players into the game. Only negative for me was Bannigan. Just what he was thinking of, is beyond me. Two stupid bookings in 5 minutes. Still with around £150 waiting for me in Hills tomorrow, three points in the bag, a win at last, off 2nd bottom and Hearts now just about relegated and St Midden and Killie back in the mix, its been a great day. Also what a great support we took through there today. Certainly over 1,000, mibbee 1200. Superb!!!

Edited by Lindau

Keep the white socks. For some reason, that defies scientific logic, but I always played better with white socks!

I think white socks make people look bigger. It's a psychological advantage.

Regarding the midfield, is the young guy from Barcelona an option? Haven't heard much since he signed, but he isn't any younger than half the Dundee United team.

thought we played well in the first half, the difference is we were clinical, we had 2 chances on goal and scored both. Big Taylor done well to hold off the centre back and look to have mis-hit it but we got that bit of luck and it went in. then finally we scored from a corner, great outswinging corner from Higgy, the second ATS peeled off his man I knew a goal was coming,a good solid unstoppable header into the other side of the net. Second half they had alot of the ball but didn't really look like scoring, they hit the bar with a deflected shot but apart from that Stevenson and Paterson were anonymous. we did seem to lose the ball very easily in the second half and it wouldn't stick but we defended very well. my MOTM was big Piccolo once again, won everything in the air, had Stevenson in his back pocket all game and mopped up any loose balls. Taylor, Sinclair and Muirhead were outstanding aswell, there wasn't really a failure playing wise, only let down was Bannigan getting sent off, it was 2 bookings, about the only 2 decisions Brines got right all day. He gave us absolutely nothing all day, one of the worst 'performances' I've seen in years. I thought it was a matter of time before he gave them a penalty for nothing.the linesman to our left was equally useless. Delighted with the result, now onto County next week.oh Maryhill................

Edited by jags on tour

Decided to give today a miss - I have a touch of the sniffles and decided to stay at home like a big Jessie instead. Happily, it would seem that my non-appearance at a Thistle away match has yielded the same change in fortune as it has for the national team.

The fact that there was a big away support makes me feel a wee bit less guilty about not going too. I'll just have to learn to live with being a jinx.

A great three points and sets us up nicely for the next couple of games. Win them, and we are back in business again. :)

That second half display was atrocious. Nobody in midfield wanted to put their foot on the ball. Craigan gave the ball away easily 10 times. And I hated watching us take any opportunuty slow the game down; that was never going to work against a young, eager Hearts team. A better team would have punished us.

We need to be braver on the ball. And play for 90 minutes. Too often this season we've played well, only to lose a silly goal or not score when on top, if we're going to have any chance of staying up we need to perform at our best for 90 minutes. 45 minutes is not good enough, and that mentality could easily have cost us again today.

• Like 1

I disagree with people saying today was one of our worst performances, I thought it was one of our best considering we displayed real excellence in both attack and defence. We created numerous chances, two of which finished off ruthlessly, and looked unbreachable in the second half barring a few set pieces where our positioning looked off. I guess the issue is that the second half maybe seemed just a bit too top heavy in the latter. If we can continue to combine the possession and chance creating football we saw in the first half with the no nonsense defensive approach we saw in the second half over the next few games, against what will likely be more difficult opposition, then we should have a real good chance of picking up a crucial bundle of points.

• Like 1

That second half display was atrocious. Nobody in midfield wanted to put their foot on the ball. Craigan gave the ball away easily 10 times. And I hated watching us take any opportunuty slow the game down; that was never going to work against a young, eager Hearts team. A better team would have punished us.

We need to be braver on the ball. And play for 90 minutes. Too often this season we've played well, only to lose a silly goal or not score when on top, if we're going to have any chance of staying up we need to perform at our best for 90 minutes. 45 minutes is not good enough, and that mentality could easily have cost us again today.

Which is exactly why our no nonsense defensive approach in the second half was a highly pragmatic one given the importance of the game. Today was one of the most obvious examples I've seen this season that Archibald has learned from his mistakes, and I'm glad we've shitfested the second half and walked away with a rare clean sheet and a crucial three points, rather than f*cking up our lead like we have done against the likes of Motherwell, Hibs, St Johnstone, etc. Edited by Noel Edmonds

Thats what you call winning ugly, something we havent done all season. With the County result yesterday we needed the three points badly today. Quite happy to give the free flowing football a miss until we get some more points in the bag. We played very well for 35 minutes in the first half (missed the first ten minutes due to the turnstile fiasco) Doesnt look like Archie can win with some people on here. When we get beat playing great football, he gets slated for no plan B, when we win playing ugly (second half only) he is slated for the team not playing free flowing football!!! There are two two teams on the park, so its impossible to play and dominate for 90 minutes. We got three points away from home, kept a clean sheet....not quite sure what more you want. As far as I could see, every jags fan left Tynecastle in an upbeat mood today....you must be the exceptiion

• Like 2

Spot on Lindau. Yes, we want Thistle playing that fantastic brand of football we have been spoiled with over the last year or so, but winning ugly is part of the game, What do people expect from a club as such as us, who can't throw money about.The fact that we play great football with players that cost nothing is remarkable.

I am immensely proud of this young team and the way they seem to be growing up fast. Long may in continue

• Like 2

It's a confidence thing as well. 10 games without a win.

But...

It's a game we couldn't afford to lose but we were desperate to win.

Imagine if you were on that park 2nd half & being the player who, if you made a mistake, could have let Hearts back into a game we should win after being 2up at half time...

Would you want to face your team mates?

We won, & we won ugly.

We know we can play free flowing football so just chill & enjoy the result.

With a bit of luck the wins & the performances will come together but just now it's ultimately about results.

& I'll take today's again next two Saturday's regardless of performance.

Edited by Trotter
  • Like 1

Today we had a perfect blend of both in my opinion. Played the nice free flowing football got the two goals then dug in and secured the points.

Second half was a case of getting the job done and at no point today did I feel we were in danger of losing our lead.

Special mention for Taylor who was a cut above today. Physical presence and the ability to fend off defenders and an eye for goal, took his goal well and now he's up n running can c him nagging a good few vital goals. Also great to see us scoring from a corner! Finally defence were solid today n Muirhead sitting in front works.

On to the next one three points a must Saturday.