Rearranged St Johnstone Game

GrantB

How late on was the fog game abandoned?

10 to 15 mins into 2nd half.

I thought Cowden were exploiting us by charging £12 for the rearranged fixture. However, given the vital nature of the game to our promotion hopes, I couldn't possibly have missed it.

As a ST holder I'd be dumbfounded if I was being charged for this. There's little advantage buying a ST as it is. I also realise that if the Club runs this game at a loss then it could have an adverse effect even if marginal on our player budget. Conclusion then is they've got to charge an entry fee to pay at the gate punters and the home and away adult price will have to be the same. Also the Club has to pitch the price at a level both fair and likely to cover outlay. Otherwise too many will take the hump and stay away.

As I say I'm a ST holder so hardly impartial. I'll be interested in hearing what others think we should have done. My gut feeling would be the prices are set a tad high and if it was allowed I'd allow St J supporters in for less than the home gate price.

The club is doing itself no favours by treating ST holders like me differently to pay at the gate fans who hold a voucher from the call off. Either both should be free entry or both say £5 to cover costs. Fair to all who attended the call off.

• Like 1

I thought Cowden were exploiting us by charging £12 for the rearranged fixture. However, given the vital nature of the game to our promotion hopes, I couldn't possibly have missed it.

Did they hand out vouchers to the people who were there (or at least the ones they could find in the murk)?

Yup. Thought it was bad at the time but that's what happens. Paid it and had a wonderful time.

Either both should be free entry or both say £5 to cover costs.

Donate a fiver to the club then.

No.

OK, so as a result of the usual lack of customer care in fitba, they had no way of knowing who paid into the first game, so reduced the price all round for the re-arranged game. Not great for those at the first game, but possibly sensible given the circumstances, though again I think a 20-25% reduction is miserly.

However, at Firhill we have to buy tickets before getting in (at least to the JHS) and the club handed out vouchers to those who didn't (i.e. St. J fans and presumably our fans in the North stand as I don't think that is ticketed). So there is a "proof of purchase". If you have that you should get a far greater reduction than the club are offering.

The club is doing itself no favours by treating ST holders like me differently to pay at the gate fans who hold a voucher from the call off. Either both should be free entry or both say £5 to cover costs. Fair to all who attended the call off.

I admire the sentiment behind what you're saying, but charging ST holders for a league game would be PR suicide. As mentioned earlier, there are precious few financial incentives to buy one as it is. I also imagine such a move would be open to legal challenge, should someone be sad enough to kick up a fuss.

I paid to get in and watched 45 mins of farce before the game was abandoned.

I would expect to get in for free for a re-arranged "showing" at any event where a similar thing happened (e.g. cinema, theatre) but reckoned on the club charging £5 for anyone who had proof of purchase from the first match and full price for anyone who didn't. Even if they went "pro-rata" on the "entertainment" provided, it should be £10 maximum.

Football clubs in general treat fans with utter contempt, but Thistle are truly taking the piss with this. I think I won't bother my arse going to this game. The people who run clubs only seem to get the message when it is a financial one that is sent.

what I was meaning at pitching entry at fair price. £12 looks to me to be on the greedy side and could easily backfire and the Club ends up getting less revenue. Anyway wasn't this game discounted to start with due to the North Stand/Main Stand malarky?

I see where you're coming from but the benefits of purchasing a ST has been greatly reduced. None of the incentives from last season, folk buying on the strength of free TAG membership and so few Saturday games. Charging a ST holder for a league match would imo be the final straw.

• Like 1

I love this. A Thistle forum full of folk who are die hard Jags fans, red and yellow through and through, Thistle 'til they die... What? Pay £12 quid to the Club?! Outrageous!

You are right: it IS outrageous. Football fans get treated like shit by the clubs they support and it is almost beyond belief that there are so many fans that are daft enough to think this is a reasonable way to treat people. Of course, we don't have as many fans as we used to. Maybe lots of them have grown tired of being treated like doormats and voted with their feet and wallets.

If you were at the Vue cinema and had paid £7.50 to watch a film in which the projection failed half way through, do you think you would say "thanks very much" if they gave you a voucher on the way out so that you could come back and pay £4.50 to see the film another day?

Edited by David Stevenson

Around 6000 people paid 5 pounds extra for the Celtic game. Not including season tickets.

So we made 30000 pound above budget. How many of those 6000 pay at the gate fans used their voucher for the saints abandoned game? Obviously not the saints fans or season ticket holders.

So say maybe 2000 jags fans used the voucher?

That leaves 4000 people who were charged 5 more than the club budgeted for. On attendance alone, the club made £20000 profit over the two games.

So, what was the attendance at the postponed game, and how many got a stub? I didn't see anyone when I left. So there are some who didn't get a stub for the re arranged game.

Either way, this game is an extra game, it's income the club did not budget for. So, you need to ask, do we operate at a loss or a profit for a fixture. I would hope a profit.

Will we operate at a profit or a loss with the reduced price on the gate? I would hope 12 pounds from saints and thistle fans. Say 3000? That's 36k the club can generate from this extra game. How much will go towRds running costs, and appearance fee's?

Plus there's still 20 grand profit from the original two fixtures.

If you were at the Vue cinema and had paid £7.50 to watch a film in which the projection failed half way through, do you think you would say "thanks very much" if they gave you a voucher on the way out so that you could come back and pay £4.50 to see the film another day?

Might be wrong here, but I'm sure it costs less for a cinema to press play than it does for a football club to put on a game.

• Like 1

I naively assumed I'd get in for free for the rearranged tie, you know, having bought and retained my ticket to watch PTFC v St Johnstone.

A fiver, or something like that, to cover stewarding etc, might have been OK. A further £12 to see a game I already paid for isn't, especially as the club/board has just about zero in their 'goodwill account' in terms of PR/fan relations this season ......

• Like 1

Might be wrong here, but I'm sure it costs less for a cinema to press play than it does for a football club to put on a game.

All businesses have running costs. I paid £20 for the sum total of nothing the first time round and they want another £12 for a second go. No thanks.

No business treats it's custom base as shittily as professional football does.

• Like 1

I see where you're coming from but the benefits of purchasing a ST has been greatly reduced. None of the incentives from last season, folk buying on the strength of free TAG membership and so few Saturday games. Charging a ST holder for a league match would imo be the final straw.

LIB You're right about the reduced benefits of holding a ST. It seems to me though this is about fairness to everyone who paid either through ST or at the gate for the original game. I as a ST holder get to go to the rearranged game FOC while another Jag has to pay an additional £12 . Total cost OF that fixture to me £20 cost to A N Other Jag £35. To my mind this is ridiculous. This two tier pricing approach for a rearranged game will cost the club more in goodwill than it will gain in £s at the gate.

LIB You're right about the reduced benefits of holding a ST. It seems to me though this is about fairness to everyone who paid either through ST or at the gate for the original game. I as a ST holder get to go to the rearranged game FOC while another Jag has to pay an additional £12 . Total cost OF that fixture to me £20 cost to A N Other Jag £35. To my mind this is ridiculous. This two tier pricing approach for a rearranged game will cost the club more in goodwill than it will gain in £s at the gate.

I agree the differential is too great but that's got to do with the Club setting the bar as high as £12. Expecting the ST holders to subsidise the pay at the gate price would be firing even more bullets in the foot. The Club should rethink even if only to hand out to those who pay the £12 a further discount voucher for another match. Just being a bit more realistic with this gate price would've been the more sensible approach.

I agree the differential is too great but that's got to do with the Club setting the bar as high as £12. Expecting the ST holders to subsidise the pay at the gate price would be firing even more bullets in the foot. The Club should rethink even if only to hand out to those who pay the £12 a further discount voucher for another match. Just being a bit more realistic with this gate price would've been the more sensible approach.

Agreed - Definitely a rethink needed by the club. Fairness and goodwill first and foremost. Also on the next pishing wet game day how many pay at the gate fans will stay at home in case the same situation arises again?