Rearranged St Johnstone Game

GrantB

I don't think any of us can accurately judge whether £12 is too much to charge, as we're unaware of the costs associated with holding the match. It may be the case that £10 puts us at risk of losing money, given that the match will now be held on a Tuesday evening and will in all likelihood attract a reduced attendance. If that's the case, £12 is the fee that must be charged, as I don't think any of us wish to see Archie's budget cut due to a rearranged match.

Stewarty,

What would suggest that 12 quid would allow us to break even? That would suggest that, say 2000 pay at the gate fans attend, it costs 24000 to host a game, pay appearance fees and possible win bonus etc. £24k to put on a game of football, I don't think so.

Now bear in mind the club have already made 20000 profit by charging 25 quid for the Celtic game, profit not in our original budget for the season.

This is an extra game the club did not budget for either, a bonus if you will.

What was the crowd for this match? Didn't seem much better than the I.C.T. game apart from a few more away fans? I wouldn't have gone unless I had my ST, tbh.

The club didn't publish it. But I'm quite sure the trust could ask as part of their discussions regarding pricing.,,

How many pay at the gate fans were there at the Celtic game?

How many used their stub for the st Johnstone game?

How many paid full price at the st Johnstone game?

What was the original st Johnstone attendance?

How many vouchers were handed out?

How many are expected to be redeemed?

What are the running costs to host a game?

Based on the above questions, how was £12 decided upon?

Edited by potty trained

Your ST entitled you entry to original game, my £20 did the same for me, it gets abandoned half way through, ST holder gets into re-arranged game for nothing, I need to pay £12, I really dont get it

ST entitles the holder entry to ALL home league games.

The circumstances surrounding the abandonment were outside the club's control and they need to cover the costs of the rearranged game - if people are unhappy about forking out another 12 quid (which helps the club out) attendance is not compulsory. Jings, we're talking about the grand sum of an extra £12 here!

ST entitles the holder entry to ALL home league games.

The circumstances surrounding the abandonment were outside the club's control and they need to cover the costs of the rearranged game - if people are unhappy about forking out another 12 quid (which helps the club out) attendance is not compulsory. Jings, we're talking about the grand sum of an extra £12 here!

Yeah and its £12 that's staying in my pocket, refuse to subsidise ST holders free entry to additional games, would have no problen paying the same rate as everyone else who attended the original game, whatever that was set at

• Members

"St holder should pay extra for the rearranged game." How does that work for ST holders that missed the original game?

I'd say a fair number of ST holders miss games at some point during the Season, however as they have paid up front for their ticket, they will be out of pocket compared to a pay-at-the-gate fan attending all home games. Some times having a ST works against you, sometimes it works for you. This is one of those times.

• Like 1

"St holder should pay extra for the rearranged game." How does that work for ST holders that missed the original game?

I missed the original game, but would still be willing to pay a token few quid as I understand it costs money to stage.

I get all of the arguments, but there is a bit of knicker twisting going on here...

Edited by Gary Peebles Tackle
  • Like 1

Yeah and its £12 that's staying in my pocket, refuse to subsidise ST holders free entry to additional games, would have no problen paying the same rate as everyone else who attended the original game, whatever that was set at

It's ST holders that are vital to the club roughly knowing its budget for any given season - due to games missed a season ticket does not represent value for money to me - following your logic I've paid for more games than I'll attend, so no-one is subsidising me.

Stewarty,

What would suggest that 12 quid would allow us to break even? That would suggest that, say 2000 pay at the gate fans attend, it costs 24000 to host a game, pay appearance fees and possible win bonus etc. £24k to put on a game of football, I don't think so.

Now bear in mind the club have already made 20000 profit by charging 25 quid for the Celtic game, profit not in our original budget for the season.

This is an extra game the club did not budget for either, a bonus if you will.

Hi PT,

The point I'm trying to get at is we've no way of knowing for certain whether £12 will see us break even, make a profit or make a loss. We don't have access to the information that would enable us to make an accurate assessment. Perhaps you're right about £12 being too much - you make some interesting points - but there will always be a margin of error that will force the club to err on the side of caution. Or perhaps they are being greedy and regarding this as a bonus. As as I say, I'm uncomfortable about saying one way or another without having the spreadsheets to hand. For example, you mention the extra revenue generated by the Celtic tickets. How can we be sure that this hasn't already been allocated elsewhere, say in Lyle Taylor's wages?

S.

I'd say a fair number of ST holders miss games at some point during the Season, however as they have paid up front for their ticket, they will be out of pocket compared to a pay-at-the-gate fan attending all home games. Some times having a ST works against you, sometimes it works for you. This is one of those times.

Absolutely spot-on.

Once again Thistle has managed to snatch a PR defeat from the hands of victory! Furthermore, it is purile for one group of supporters to be having a go at another merely because they are or are not season ticket holders. In addition the idea that anyone would voluntarily wait in the pi**ing rain for a stupid voucher then rip off the club, is stretching credibility too far, even if it happens its unlikely to be important enough to be statistically valid. It just seems to me a further indication of how poor the communication is between our support and the club, evidenced by the fiasco at Swinecastle the other day. The bottom line is that fans have better things to do than complain and at a time when we need all the support we can get, why is the club so determined to chase supporters away?

Take all the points about Season Ticket Holder pros and cons, have been one numerous seasons in the past, but think the club policy of passing on costs of rearranged games to pay at the gate home and away fans is flawed, charging more than 50% of standard admission is basically unfair

I wouldn't pay 45 quid for a package for the next two home games when I know I can pay 40. Therefore why should I pay 32 pounds for a game and a half?

It's a matter of principle. It's unfair to expect either home or away fans to pay £32 for , going by the clubs pricing, is £30 worth of entertainment

Edited by p12tfc

Here's a wee quote from David Beattie with regards to pay at the gate customers and where your money goes:

"Our commitment to the fans is this: if you come in and you pay your £20 at the turnstile that goes into the playing budget, because we've covered our costs. The more people come, the more money 'Archie' has. It's a very, very simple equation."

So the club have covered their costs this season, every pay at the gate punters cash goes to the player budget, not to cover costs of putting on a game.

So how much does it cost Thistle to host a single game, not originally in the budget?

I've received a formal request to raise the issue with the club this morning and I've started that process. Will feedback to members as soon as I've had a satisfactory response.

If it's not too late could you also ask about the reasoning of playing this game midweek on what's traditionally the coldest time of the year? As said before I suspect it's logistical but if not it was economic madness regardless of pricing.

Put another way if this game was played on a more user friendly date the Club could've charged a lower entry price and most likely taken in more cash.

If it's not too late could you also ask about the reasoning of playing this game midweek on what's traditionally the coldest time of the year? As said before I suspect it's logistical but if not it was economic madness regardless of pricing.

Put another way if this game was played on a more user friendly date the Club could've charged a lower entry price and most likely taken in more cash.

I'm guessing it's because they don't know how many games might be postponed in the coming weeks/months. To prevent a possible backlog come March April time

The split?

Surely St Johnstone can't be expected to play a top 6 team once that's happened :head_ball:

I think if the club had made it a tenner (Half the admission fee) as a rebate for missing half a game that was paid for earlier this discussion would not be going on. It seems to me like trying to grab an extra couple of quid. Aparently St Johnstone fans have reported us to the League for handing out complimentary tickets, then finding out they have to pay.

On the ST issue, if folk want the ST holders to pay, what about those that can't make the rescheduled game, should they get £8 back?

• Like 1

will ask :)

On the ST issue, if folk want the ST holders to pay, what about those that can't make the rescheduled game, should they get £8 back?

There will be an element of bias depending on whether you are or are not a ST holder, my own view is everyone who effectively paid into the original fixture, i.e. ST holders whether there or not and all who paid at the gate should get into the re-arranged fixture on the same terms, if you cant make it then thats hard luck, same as it is for ST holder when scheduled fixturea moved for TV. Could be that current T&Cs for Season Tickets prevent this approach, anyone know ?

One idea that hasn't been suggested is that fans pay what they like for this game?

If you want to pay £1, pay £1. If you want to pay £12, pay £12. If you want to pay £20, pay £20.

I bet the club would get great PR from this and I'd imagine would still more than cover the costs - could even boost the numbers for what is likely to be a very poorly attended match. Not too late to do this surely?

• Like 2