Lee Mair Signs

The Mighty Quinn

Didn't he go FROM us TO St. Mirren and captain them to SPL promotion while we sunk to the 2nd Division? One of a number of players to do better after leaving us....

You are correct in what you say. He also started out at Love Street. I remember he scored the only goal for the Saints at iBroke. Possibly a season flag waving opener? Kenny McDowall did the same in the late 80s early 90s too?

St Mirren reject is really what we need right now NOT

but, but, but your client/friend gus macpherson signed him for st mirren, and gave him a three year contract (which danny lennon added a two year extension to). does gus not rate him now? does gus not think he can get the best out of mair?

• Like 2

Looked back at the teams this season and Mair came in after a red card to Grainger in late Sep. St Mirren conceded 3 goals then 4 goals, then he was dropped until the Well game, in which they concede 3.

Anyway, decent enough signing and hopefully has the Murray effect and gets the most out of rest of the team.

Archie's signings, Baird and Kerr aside have been very good.

The evidence suggests that Archie is much better at judging a player than Lennon.

I think Mair will have something to prove and will be a success.

Also worth noting that Dundee also wanted him, a team that would probably beat St Mirren.

Looked back at the teams this season and Mair came in after a red card to Grainger in late Sep. St Mirren conceded 3 goals then 4 goals, then he was dropped until the Well game, in which they concede 3.

Anyway, decent enough signing and hopefully has the Murray effect and gets the most out of rest of the team.

Asie from being meaningless as one player does not a team make; those results are a 4-3 victory over St Johnstone, a 0-4 loss to Dundee United, and a 0-3 loss to Motherwell. Which compares to our results of 1-1, 1-4 and 1-5, against the same teams.

If he's the difference between us losing again to Kilmarnock or shipping another three goals against St Mirren, and as you say, using his experience to help the rest of the team, then perfect.

wasn't thinking about the moving to/from thing, just had it in my head he played CH for us....

here's the full list of players who have played for both clubs.

Billy Abercromby, Eddie Annand, John Baird, David Barron, Dougie Bell, Jimmy Bone, Julian Broddle, Alex Burns, David Byrne, Ian Cameron, Martin Cameron, Chic Charnley, Mark Corcoran, Craig Dargo, Andy Dunlop, Robert Dunn, Davie Elliot, Wayne Foster, Paul Gallacher, Brian Gallacher, Eddie Gallagher, Ricky Gillies, Billy Hainey, Brian Hamilton, Derek Hamilton, Jim Hamilton, Gary Harkins, Scott Harvie, Jim Herriot, John Hillcoat, Craig Hinchcliffe, Billy Johnston, Paul Kinnaird, Bobby Law, Danny Lennon, Alan Logan, Peter Mackie, Lee, Mair, Brian Martin, Ian Maxwell, John McCormack, Donny McDowall, Kenny McDowall, Kevin McGowne, Paul McIntyre, Ally McLean, Scott McLean, Mark McWalter, Ross Meechan, Shuggie Murray, Ian Nicolson, Gary Peebles, Jose Quitongo, Ian Reid, Mark Roberts, Andy Roddie, Ian Ross, Allan Russell, Geordie Shaw, Doug Somner, Gardner Spiers, Billy Thomson, Rab Torrance, Tommy Turner, Paul Walker

There's a fair number of pretty decent players in there. Here's hoping Lee Mair turns out to be a good one too

Didn't he go FROM us TO St. Mirren and captain them to SPL promotion while we sunk to the 2nd Division? One of a number of players to do better after leaving us....

Didn't Grant Murray leave us in the 2nd division to make 50 appearances for SPL Kilmarnock?

He was hated by a large number of Thistle fans for being gash as well lol.

Much rather have Mair than a fat Garry Kenneth. Given our budget I think it's a decent signing and at least Archie has realised what we all knew a few weeks ago we need a commanding centre half and a target man. Hopefully Mair is of the if in doubt punt it the feck out style which we have severely been lacking at times this year.

Much rather have Mair than a fat Garry Kenneth. Given our budget I think it's a decent signing and at least Archie has realised what we all knew a few weeks ago we need a commanding centre half and a target man. Hopefully Mair is of the if in doubt punt it the feck out style which we have severely been lacking at times this year.

I'm sure Archie realised all that long before we did but he couldn't do anything until the window opened. He just had to go with what we had and hope they raised their game. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't.

I'm sure Archie realised all that long before we did but he couldn't do anything until the window opened. He just had to go with what we had and hope they raised their game. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't.

I worded my post badly in that I didn't mean Archie didn't know then just that it has Been evident to the fans for weeks.

Anyone know what number he will wear?

Whatever we think of the signings, I'm just glad we're making them. In this day and age, look at how many clubs are struggling. Archie bought some good talent at the start of the season and blended them in to the team seamlessly. I hope the new signings work out. I was always impressed by dowie.

• Like 1

Jesus christ I have went from being John Baird's agent to Mark Kerr himself to Gus Macpherson's agent lol

I only speak my mind guys although it probably is full off broken bottles

Good on you, thistlenowthistleforever :thumbsup2: . Too many on here rely on knee jerk assassinations after a game when their pre match posts are often completely contradictory. At least your posts/opinions, while they may well be ill thought out drivel are at least not driven by a need to jump on a bandwagon.

My only St Mirren contact is a guy who never misses a game home or away. He's far from pleased with Danny Lennon over this move reckoning Mair is the one central defender they should've held on to. Mr Edmonds post, which I think Harry Wragg misunderstood, is possibly on the nail. If Lee Mair does for us this season what Andy Dowie did for us last season I'll be happy.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

not thinking he will be any better than we have.... another kerr like signing ... humble pie for me(hopefully)

more signings required IMO

Kerr played 13 games against SPL oponents in the previous two seasons. Lee Mair has played FIVE times that many games against SPL sides in the same period. Your opinion is valid as Archie signed both but apart from similar ages I don't see the comparison. First and foremost we've been crying out for experience at the back. There may be better centrebacks out there, tho' I know of none we could've afforded, but even if there is they couldn't have brought the same SPL/SPFL experience.

Mr Edmonds post, which I think Harry Wragg misunderstood, is possibly on the nail. If Lee Mair does for us this season what Andy Dowie did for us last season I'll be happy.

Yes. I meant my reference to this to be positive too, i.e. "for the avoidance of doubt" (copyright Brown McMaster), I thought Dowie did a good job for us at the end of last season, though he got away with a few mad decisions/errors (i.e. the foul against Airdrie in the last game at the Excelsior that could have given away a penalty) which he/we would appear to be unlikely to get away with this season.

I am sure Lee Mair can also do a job for us now, though both my St. Mirren-supporting boss and the Dons supporter who runs the group next to us were not exactly congratulating me on this particular piece of business..... It is up to Lee to prove them wrong, and hopefully he will do so with the support of Archie, Shaggy and the psych expert..... And of course, the fans....

Whilst an experienced centre-half is welcomed - did St Mirren's results not pick up a bit this season once their team was re-jigged to not include Lee Mair in it? Perhaps merely a co-incidence - hope so!

As regards signings from St Mirren - hopefully more of an Andy Dunlop than a Billy Abercrombie.