Erskine Back

CCjag

Paton's an average player who thinks he's better than he was, wasn't disappointed at all when he left & he was replaced by Osbourne who is miles better than Paton.

On the other hand was really gutted when Erskine left, a modern day Thistle legend. Glad he's back & hope he's here for a long time to come. He's a confidence player & if there's anywhere he'll play his best it's for us as he knows how much he's loved by 99% of the fans.

I read he was coming back...!!

And I thought....right I'll get a couple of scratch cards on ma way home coz Im feelin lucky.

Parked the card....got a coin out ma pocket....

first card......sh&t....nuthin

second card......sh&t.....nowt

wait for it......3rd card

Fu*k all..!!

Still he's back.....who cares.......mon the Jags!!!!

Be there wi bells on the morra...lookin for a 25,000 crowd!!!..... :rocker:

• Like 1

Awesome news.... what a tonic. I was really angry on Saturday and seriously thinking of boycotting tomorrow night (to engineer a win of course!). While I'm at it every time the fans have spotted some sort of problem with the team this year, Archie always goes and does something about it. I've been fuming at the team but Archie seems to always do the right thing. (I'm a bit Happy Clappy like the Duke).

Delighted to have Erskine back, but there's a fair bit of rewriting of history going on here regarding Paton. I agree Osbourne is a better defender than Paton by a stretch, but he doesn't have close to Paton's range of passing, and probably doesn't cover as much ground as Paton did in 90 minutes.

He missed a decent chunk of the run in but we kept winning despite his absence, not because of it (and thanks to James Craigen seriously stepping it up when needed). A few poorly chosen words on social media at the end of the season shouldn't detract from the fact Paton was a very good player for us, a title winning captain who gave absolutely everything every time he pulled on a Thistle shirt. One of our biggest weaknesses has been the absence of a leader and vocal presence on the pitch . Would welcome him back at Firhill any time.

Edited by Hopeless Unbeliever
  • Like 5

Delighted to have Erskine back, but there's a fair bit of rewriting of history going on here regarding Paton. I agree Osbourne is a better defender than Paton by a stretch, but he doesn't have close to Paton's range of passing, and probably doesn't cover as much ground as Paton did in 90 minutes.

He missed a decent chunk of the run in but we kept winning despite his absence, not because of it (and thanks to James Craigen seriously stepping it up when needed). A few poorly chosen words on social media at the end of the season shouldn't detract from the fact Paton was a very good player for us, a title winning captain who gave absolutely everything every time he pulled on a Thistle shirt. One of our biggest weaknesses has been the absence of a leader and vocal presence on the pitch . Would welcome him back at Firhill any time.

Absolutely spot on.

Maryhill's,the place to be, I would love for it to be a permanent signing.

Now all you've got to do son is score two goals every game and sort out the Midfield.

He scores when he wants

He scores when he wants

His names Chris Erskine

He scores when he wants..........

Forgive my cynicism but we are talking about the same Paul Paton who was bought & signed as a right back & couldn't pass or cross a ball from that area?

I'm sure if you look back at the archives of this forum or the forum in its previous guises you'll see plenty of criticism of Paton outlining just that.

I know Erskine also would've had his critics on this but his talent never doubted & that's why he was so frustrating when he neat everyone on the park then missed the open goal so to speak.

Paton has plenty of energy yes, dig in the midfield also, range of passing I'm not convinced with. & as far as a vocal leader goes that comes with being captain for me.

You said about his absence in the run in. Well I, like many others, are convinced that if it wasn't for JM jumping ship we wouldn't have won the league. We can't say we wouldn't have won or lost the league with or without Paton.

What I will say is the run of 3 or 4 games after the Morton game when Archie first took over it was a Erskine who provided the spark for those 1-0 wins!

The Airdrie game at Firhill springs to mind.

If Paton came back then I'd welcome him back. I don't blame him or Erskine for taking the money on offer up at Tannidice as both have young families & in this game money & contract length are as close a security as you'll get .

But I stand by that Paton a one dimensional player who runs around a lot, gives his all & is plenty in Scottish football.

Erskine is an enigma & can be sublime or ridiculous depending on what day of the week it is.

He can be off his game for 89 & half minutes then produce that moment of brilliance.

They're few & far between in the game - which might be a good thing- & that's what makes him hand in glove for PTFC.

For me, Paton's positional sense that was the first thing that we missed whenever he was out of the team. He had a great understanding with the right side of our defence, offering SOD and Aero passing options and defensive cover for the former in particular. He is a more intelligent player than people give him credit.

• Like 2

Delighted to have Chris back and will look forward even more to going along to games, but lets face it he is unproven at this level and DUFC are using us to find out whether he can cut it or not.

They know he will get a run if games here and if he proves a success, well and good for us, but he will be back playing to them for next season.

If he bombs then he will be back them to decide what to do with, maybe back to us should we end up getting relegated, although not an outcome we would wish for, one that would brighten up next season and make sense for all parties given he is proven already at that level.

If, as I suspect, he is a bit hit and miss, then he may well have a longer term future at Firhill.

It will certainly add to the interest for the rest of the season to see how this pans out.

For me, Paton's positional sense that was the first thing that we missed whenever he was out of the team. He had a great understanding with the right side of our defence, offering SOD and Aero passing options and defensive cover for the former in particular. He is a more intelligent player than people give him credit.

I have to admit Paton's absence has made a noticeable difference this season, much to my surprise. However, I don't see the point of crying over spilled milk, so we just have to get on with things. Hopefully, Erskine's return will spark that wee bit of incisiveness and creativity, we've been crying out for. All things considered, I'll leave the transfer window with considerably more confidence that when I entered it. That's not to say I'm confidently awaiting miracles tonight, mind you a minor one wouldn't go amiss!