James Fecken Craigen

simoncordiner

If Craigen has the ability to cut it with Celtic's millionaires why has he been so poor for the last few months?

#starandgarterloyal

Could say that about most of our team or we would't be where we are in the league,think it's wrong to single one young player out though at Firhill over the years we absolutely have a tendency to do that. What does the word supporter mean ? , if in 18 months down the line none of these players have improved then changes should be made , don't think we should be slaughtering young players who are still learning at this level.
  • Like 1

what ever happened to backing every one that pulls on that shirt?

I'm not sure what parallel universe you're from but ever since I've been a wee nipper there's always been players that get picked on and scapegoated, even some on merit. Unfortunately with the rise of forums people get to rant all week long about a player rather than just the 90 minutes at the game.

Ok, so to sum it up from me, James Craigen typifies our season, one of missed opportunities. He persists in the first team even though he's not good enough. I don't really have any issue with Craigen, but that fact he's played week in, week out through a dismal spell when we've been desperate to try something, anything, different sums things up for me. I don't think there's a a single person on this forum who thinks either he's not being played in his best position or there's better players that could play in his position yet every week he gets a shirt. All season we've been crying out for a more attacking threat yet he plays. As an attacking midfielder, he doesn't score, he doesn't create. As a defensive midfielder, he's powderpuff in the challenge, he gives the ball away time and again in dangerous positions, he doesn't win the ball in the air, and he doesn't create space for other players. The argument that others aren't doing much better doesn't wash, he simply shouldn't be playing as he's not good enough in this system. We need to try something different.

Ok, so to sum it up from me, James Craigen typifies our season, one of missed opportunities. He persists in the first team even though he's not good enough. I don't really have any issue with Craigen, but that fact he's played week in, week out through a dismal spell when we've been desperate to try something, anything, different sums things up for me. I don't think there's a a single person on this forum who thinks either he's not being played in his best position or there's better players that could play in his position yet every week he gets a shirt. All season we've been crying out for a more attacking threat yet he plays. As an attacking midfielder, he doesn't score, he doesn't create. As a defensive midfielder, he's powderpuff in the challenge, he gives the ball away time and again in dangerous positions, he doesn't win the ball in the air, and he doesn't create space for other players. The argument that others aren't doing much better doesn't wash, he simply shouldn't be playing as he's not good enough in this system. We need to try something different.

Think you need to try something different....like hitting the delete but on 4 of the above posts!!

It's wrong to single out Craigen for blame as he has, in reality, only about a year's first-team experience. McNamara signed him two years ago, along with McGuigan, from Edinburgh University and sent him on loan to Forfar for a few months. He's moved up from the East of Scotland League to the old Division 2 to the old Division 1 to the SPL in 18 months. Frankly, to even get in the squad at this level is a major achievement. The real problem is the lack of experience and depth in the squad. You can't blame James for that!

Edited by kni

Jamesie Boy Craigen has got to do more than the one touch. At his age in England he would be a hairy arsed seasoned professional, so “he’s still learning” argument ain’t happening. Just get the ball, look up and have a go at the opposition take a shot, if he could do that, he has a future. It’s better to lose the ball that way, than instantly laying the ball off and getting rid of it as soon as he can. Its grow up quick time.

Craigen Gu Brath

Jamesie Boy Craigen has got to do more than the one touch. At his age in England he would be a hairy arsed seasoned professional, so “he’s still learning” argument ain’t happening. Just get the ball, look up and have a go at the opposition take a shot, if he could do that, he has a future. It’s better to lose the ball that way, than instantly laying the ball off and getting rid of it as soon as he can. Its grow up quick time.

Craigen Gu Brath

In England, Craigen would have come through an academy and sent out on at least two or three times. The top EPL sides have lots of players aged 20 to 22 out on loan. James, however, went to university and had the good sense to complete his studies. He has moved up 5 levels in less than two years. That's growing up quickly and, given his progress to date, he should improve.

I must admit I haven't seen anyone define Craigan as a world beater or POTY etc.

Is this exclusive to the Star, I'm pretty sure a lot of the players mentioned also went down to the woody, did something happen in the woody that means everyone in the woody doesn't like Craigan?

Well since you claim not to have seen anything I showed you some quotes. The guy is not the finished arcticle yet, but the way some go on here about him you would think he was. As for the S &G comment, never been in the place in my life, but ( this is my opinion) the posters who do or did when he was in last year give him an easy ride most of the time, solely down to him being "a great guy" that was in the pub with you's.

Jaggy Mad obviously had a great weekend - trawling through threads from 3 months ago in a desperate effort to have a go at people who drink in a particular pub while also having a go at one of our own players.

I'm not sure I've ever come across anything so tragic.

There seems to be a growing number of posters on here lining up to have a pop at the S&G and the people who drink there. Don't quite understand it myself. If you don't like the place don't go in.

Funny how not one of them posts under their real names.

Craigen hasn't been in great form recently, but his mistakes haven't been anywhere near as costly as Balatoni's, Fox, Muirhead, or even Welsh before his injury. All of these guys have made numerous mistakes which have led directly to goals conceded.

Now, 3 of the players mentioned here also popped in to the S&G last season.

I think threads like this singling out individual players are a bit unfair. Remember, these are young guys and probably read the forum from time to time.

Craigen might not be having the best of times at the moment but there must be a reason he's virtually a first pick every week.

Personally, I think he needs a rest but unless Archie can get another couple in before the end of the window, we have to get behind the players we have.

• Like 2

Jaggy Mad obviously had a great weekend - trawling through threads from 3 months ago in a desperate effort to have a go at people who drink in a particular pub while also having a go at one of our own players.

I'm not sure I've ever come across anything so tragic.

There seems to be a growing number of posters on here lining up to have a pop at the S&G and the people who drink there. Don't quite understand it myself. If you don't like the place don't go in.

Funny how not one of them posts under their real names.

Craigen hasn't been in great form recently, but his mistakes haven't been anywhere near as costly as Balatoni's, Fox, Muirhead, or even Welsh before his injury. All of these guys have made numerous mistakes which have led directly to goals conceded.

Now, 3 of the players mentioned here also popped in to the S&G last season.

Please show me were I have had a go at James Craigen in this thread.

This is what I love about this forum, the wee cliches, If you are going to have a go at me get ur facts right! I have not had a go at Craigen, think you will find I have repeatedly said he is a decent player but not as good as some on here think. Maybe in another couple of yrs then yes.

As for the real name dig, think you will find 99 % of posters don't use their real name. But what are you suggesting???? Please enlighten me.

If you have read the whole thread, then you will see I was showing 1 of your buddies all the over hype that has been written by the S&G posters about Craigen and it all down to 1 reason....he was in quite a few times.

I make judgement on a Thistle player on what he has done in a Thistle shirt, not what he done in a Thistle pub.

Craigen is not a defensive or holding midfielder he is better as the advanced player of the 3 midfielders but as injuries/suspensions mount he has been slung in there and has done alright.

He has a lack of experience , as do most of the team, hopefully he will learn and develop as player and add some goals to his game to make him a real threat. He maybe needs a game out to rest as he has played virtually every game this season and hopefully once welsh/higgy are back then we will see him in his best position and the best of him.

This can be said of most of our players mind you !

• Like 1

Well since you claim not to have seen anything I showed you some quotes. The guy is not the finished arcticle yet, but the way some go on here about him you would think he was. As for the S &G comment, never been in the place in my life, but ( this is my opinion) the posters who do or did when he was in last year give him an easy ride most of the time, solely down to him being "a great guy" that was in the pub with you's.

You said I asked for proof. I'm quite happy to point out a players failings, I'm quite happy to discuss the positives and negatives of a players ability. I am not blinkered regarding any player in our squad.

What I have got issue with is the nature of this thread, not just through the topic title.

Edited by potty trained

Acknowledge what?

I don't see any posters from "the woody" ( I take it, that's another pub) on here constantly having a go at posters who have a different view from them. But most of the S&G posters do that, especially when Craigen is brought up. Cos you all drink in a certain pub, doesn't mean that your combined opinion is correct.

Craigen is not a defensive or holding midfielder he is better as the advanced player of the 3 midfielders but as injuries/suspensions mount he has been slung in there and has done alright.

He has a lack of experience , as do most of the team, hopefully he will learn and develop as player and add some goals to his game to make him a real threat. He maybe needs a game out to rest as he has played virtually every game this season and hopefully once welsh/higgy are back then we will see him in his best position and the best of him.

This can be said of most of our players mind you !

Exactly .... Played out if position and played too often

Too much expected on him and he needs a rest IMO

It would be much better to debate the footballing talents and contribution of Christie Elliott...

Acknowledge what?

I don't see any posters from "the woody" ( I take it, that's another pub) on here constantly having a go at posters who have a different view from them. But most of the S&G posters do that, especially when Craigen is brought up. Cos you all drink in a certain pub, doesn't mean that your combined opinion is correct.

Acknowledge that he was one of 5 players who went into the pub.

I'm sorry but that is completely inaccurate.

At what point did you think.. There's a group of posters defending Craigan, what's the common denominator here.... Wait a minute!!! People who defend him... They drink in the same pub!!!

Are you genuinely suggesting that there's a meeting every second Saturday in a pub, we all sit down and say... Right, Operation Craigan, phase two... Attack posters on a forum.

Maybe this is a collective fishing trip and I'm biting like a right idiot and there's a group of posters having a right giggle. But this is just mental!

Edited by potty trained

Jeez... Can we all not just agree that Craigen has bags of potential but has struggled recently due to a) tiredness; b ) the step up in level; c) having to play out of position; and d) playing in a struggling team. I've been critical of his performances lately, and have stated that I think he needs a rest, but he is undoubtedly a promising player who hopefully has a bright future at the club.

Edited by Stewarty
  • Like 2

Jeez... Can we all not just agree that Craigen has bags of potential but has struggled recently due to a) tiredness; B) the step up in level; c) having to play out of position; and d) playing in a struggling team. I've been critical of his performances lately, and have stated that I think he needs a rest, but he is undoubtedly a promising player who hopefully has a bright future at the club.

Likewise, I think I've said very same. It's a pity that some posters have singled him out as a scapegoat and not acknowledged a single positive in his game.

Jeez... Can we all not just agree that Craigen has bags of potential but has struggled recently due to a) tiredness; b ) the step up in level; c) having to play out of position; and d) playing in a struggling team. I've been critical of his performances lately, and have stated that I think he needs a rest, but he is undoubtedly a promising player who hopefully has a bright future at the club.

Agreed

Acknowledge that he was one of 5 players who went into the pub.

I'm sorry but that is completely inaccurate.

At what point did you think.. There's a group of posters defending Craigan, what's the common denominator here.... Wait a minute!!! People who defend him... They drink in the same pub!!!

Are you genuinely suggesting that there's a meeting every second Saturday in a pub, we all sit down and say... Right, Operation Craigan, phase two... Attack posters on a forum.

Maybe this is a collective fishing trip and I'm biting like a right idiot and there's a group of posters having a right giggle. But this is just mental!

Exactly where did I suggest any meetings? A group of people who go to the game together, drink together and are on a forum together, usually stick together, whether it be physical or verbal, these are mates. This is only natural, but cos other posters have a different opinion than them, doesn't mean they are wrong. I could go and get 10 mates to join here, get them to back me up on all issues, but this doesn't make us correct. So no I'm not suggesting you all sit round a table and discuss the mission of the day, but yes you do back up your mates.

Exactly where did I suggest any meetings? A group of people who go to the game together, drink together and are on a forum together, usually stick together, whether it be physical or verbal, these are mates. This is only natural, but cos other posters have a different opinion than them, doesn't mean they are wrong. I could go and get 10 mates to join here, get them to back me up on all issues, but this doesn't make us correct. So no I'm not suggesting you all sit round a table and discuss the mission of the day, but yes you do back up your mates.

This is getting ridiculous, now.