Ross Forbes

clarencegarter

Good luck in the future Ross.

Bit surprised to see this, as he seemed to be one of the more favoured options from the bench, but also good to see the club letting these guys go and find alternative employment.

Always wanted to see Ross do well, and we all know he has the talent. He just didn't show it enough, and didn't get stuck in when the talent wasn't pulling him through a game.

Dam - new profile pic required now! Rated forbes highly last season. Set pieces, crosses and corners from him got us a good few goals. Scored a few crackers himself. Sadly this year he didnt seem to be up to the mark when given his chance in the team. Frustrating to watch alot of the time as he has the talent. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Doesn't surprise me people on here can simply disregard Forbes's contribution to last season, which was up there with one of our best in a generation. Ok, hasn't worked out for him this season but he played a key role in our promotion last season. He finally gave us a vital threat from set pieces last season which provided so many important goals at key moments in big games.

He's got a medal to show for his efforts last season, which he thoroughly deserved.

Good luck to him in the future.

• Like 3

Disapointed - he clearly had the talent, but he needed to up his game this season to make a real impression at this level and it just hasn't happened.

i guess he's like a lot of talented players that have passed through Thistle over the year on their way to "other things" - Ricky Gillies, John Paul McBride, Ryan McStay, Paul Wilson (one for the old timers)....

• Like 1

Disapointed - he clearly had the talent, but he needed to up his game this season to make a real impression at this level and it just hasn't happened.

i guess he's like a lot of talented players that have passed through Thistle over the year on their way to "other things" - Ricky Gillies, John Paul McBride, Ryan McStay, Paul Wilson (one for the old timers)....

Yeah, but never greater things!

We have had quite a few former Old Firm players who played for us towards the end of their careers, e.g. Steve Chalmers and Jorge Cadete. We paid decent money for some as well, e.g. O'Hara.

We have had quite a few former Old Firm players who played for us towards the end of their careers, e.g. Steve Chalmers and Jorge Cadete. We paid decent money for some as well, e.g. O'Hara.

In O'Hara's case (and that of Kenny Watson who was signed about the same time from the same team) we got good service out of them so he was worth the fee.

I vaguely remember Steve Chalmers .. don't think he made a great impact but I remember him much better than Cadete who was signed much later which just shows how much impact the latter had.

O'Hara wasn't at the end of his career when he signed for us. 21 in fact!

True, I'd not been thinking about age though just replying to the point that we paid money for O'Hara as I thought he was a good (though not outstanding) player for us. Kenny Watson I'd guess was in his mid twenties but stayed with us a long time and was a good sevant to the club. Can't think of an equivalent ex-Celt unless you count Gerry Brittain.

To the point re old guys seeing out their carrers with us ... Niven and Ritchie? (As goallies their age wasn't such an issue).

Paul Wilson? Can't think of others.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Really disappointed it didn't work out this season for Ross. The boy's got great ability and probably one of the best strikers of the ball I've seen at Firhill in a number of years. A truely gifted footballer that just couldn't keep pace with the game.

Thanks for the memories Ross...

That sublime step-over then dinked cross in the Challenge Cup Final for Dools to take the game to penalties is still one of my top 5 Thistle moments!

• Like 1

I vaguely remember Steve Chalmers .. don't think he made a great impact but I remember him much better than Cadete who was signed much later which just shows how much impact the latter had.

By the time he reached us Chalmers was far more interested in getting his golf handicap down than playing football. Still not every club can claim to have had a European Cup final scorer on their books.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

True, I'd not been thinking about age though just replying to the point that we paid money for O'Hara as I thought he was a good (though not outstanding) player for us. Kenny Watson I'd guess was in his mid twenties but stayed with us a long time and was a good sevant to the club. Can't think of an equivalent ex-Celt unless you count Gerry Brittain.

To the point re old guys seeing out their carrers with us ... Niven and Ritchie? (As goallies their age wasn't such an issue).

Paul Wilson? Can't think of others.

I remember we also had Colin Jackson for a while at one point and you're forgetting we had McAvennie for an afternoon once . . or did I dream that?

True, I'd not been thinking about age though just replying to the point that we paid money for O'Hara as I thought he was a good (though not outstanding) player for us. Kenny Watson I'd guess was in his mid twenties but stayed with us a long time and was a good sevant to the club. Can't think of an equivalent ex-Celt unless you count Gerry Brittain. To the point re old guys seeing out their carrers with us ... Niven and Ritchie? (As goallies their age wasn't such an issue). Paul Wilson? Can't think of others.

Derek Whyte, John Divers, Gregor Stevens, Derek Ferguson.

I know - I was pointing out that we paid money for him. We also paid a decent fee for Gerry Britton. Dare I mention Jim Slavin?

Fair enough; I linked your two sentences...

I missed most of Slavin's efforts as I was living in the US at the time, but apart from his bulk, I clearly didn't miss much! Andy Murdoch was a good buy from Sellick until goalies couldn't pick up pass-backs!

Bit sad - I've always been a big fan of Forbes' ability and I really don't go along with this "attitude" problem some talk about. Whenever he comes on he tries his hardest - just think about games like St Mirren and Queens cup final. But, in saying that, if this means we can get better players, or players Archie wants, then so be it. Really think Forbes should be getting top championship teams and hope they haven't filled up squad numbers already as Forbes really is a talent.

Very happy with Archie's signings this winter - do the same again in summer and we are going to start having a very good team thats easily capable of competing.

• Like 1