Ross Forbes

clarencegarter

forbes confimed signing for club two leagues below.

Dunfermline Athletic have confirmed the signing of midfielder Ross Forbes and defender Danny Grainger. Both take the step down from the Scottish Premiership, Forbes having been released by Partick Thistle and Grainger from St Mirren.

Always sad when a player gets binned especially one with the skill and potential Forbes posseses. However, he has clearly not cut the mustard this season and on the rare occassions that I've seen him this season he frankly didn't look interested, particularly annoying as he was such an influential player last year. Anyway wish him all the best at DAFC and hopefully he'll score against Sevco.

Edited by stillresigned

Gofted? Is that when you don't use your talents?

If not if should be! What a great word & definition - Brilliant!

And Cheers Ross, excellent player in a Jags shirt and a bit gutted that this season didn't work out for you at Thistle, all the best except anytime you may come up in an opposing jersey!

Edited by sb1876
  • Like 1

Only watched two Thistle matches live last season.

In one, Dunfermline at home, Forbes scored a 30-yarder with his left foot.

In the other, Cup final, he put a delicious right-foot cross in the last minute of extra-time to set up the equaliser.

He would do a job for Thistle this season if he had decent defensive midfielders alongside him.

In the other, Cup final, he put a delicious right-foot cross in the last minute of extra-time to set up the equaliser.

He would do a job for Thistle this season if he had decent defensive midfielders alongside him.

Players who do his running for him? We'd also need players to take his free-kicks/corners/crosses for him. He has talent, or maybe it's just a little skill, whatever it is like many who do have some talent they waste it by being lazy. Decent enough player but either not fit enough or interested enough to hold down a place in a good team.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed to see Ross Forbes leave - he has real footballing ability and even in his limited appearances this season showed some signs that he might turn a game. I am always inclined to give players like Harkins & Erskine who have that extra skill factor a bit of leeway and it always strikes me as a bit strange that some fans moan that players of that type doesn't make challenges and track back but never criticise a hard running tackler who goes through a season without making an incisive pass or cross or even having a shot on goal.

I have no idea if Forbes is lazy or has a poor attitude - I always thought that he simply lacked pace and stamina - and unfortunately that has stopped him making more of his exceptional talent to make space for himself and pass the ball.Three players who are clearly not up to top League standard in footballing ability remain in or around the first team - one of them's only attribute seems to be that he can run fast.

Forbes made a real contribution to last season's success. The Ramsden's Cup Final was not the only occasion I thought he should have been brought on earlier but he changed the flow of that game, brilliantly setting up the late equaliser. And his goal against Dunfermline at Firhill was sensational.

• Like 2

I'm disappointed to see Ross Forbes leave - he has real footballing ability and even in his limited appearances this season showed some signs that he might turn a game. I am always inclined to give players like Harkins & Erskine who have that extra skill factor a bit of leeway and it always strikes me as a bit strange that some fans moan that players of that type doesn't make challenges and track back but never criticise a hard running tackler who goes through a season without making an incisive pass or cross or even having a shot on goal.

I have no idea if Forbes is lazy or has a poor attitude - I always thought that he simply lacked pace and stamina - and unfortunately that has stopped him making more of his exceptional talent to make space for himself and pass the ball.Three players who are clearly not up to top League standard in footballing ability remain in or around the first team - one of them's only attribute seems to be that he can run fast.

Forbes made a real contribution to last season's success. The Ramsden's Cup Final was not the only occasion I thought he should have been brought on earlier but he changed the flow of that game, brilliantly setting up the late equaliser. And his goal against Dunfermline at Firhill was sensational.

A class post as always sir.

I was surprised to see him freed but I can understand why. I was thinking earlier in the week who are we going to play in midfield against Utd,Forbes came into my head then I thought of Paton and Rankin spraying the balls about onto GMS Gauld and Armstrong and them running amock.we can't really afford to have any passengers that are only suited to playing against the other lower league teams, we need runners, battlers, tacklers who can put the foot in and also spot a pass, hopefully GM and PB can do this. the fact that Forbes dropped down 2 divisions makes me think he's wanted to maybe go part time and focus on his other job, as he would stroll into a Dundee Falkirk or Hamilton team.

wish him all the best, and hope Dunfermline come up through the playoffs this year.

• Like 1

I've never been a big fan of Forbes, as his lack of mobility is a liability when other teams break. I did, however, think he was worth trying in a different role, as a deep-lying playmaker rather than an attacking midfielder. This would play to his strengths - passing - and minimise his main weakness - getting caught upfield and being unable to track back. But, alas, it wasn't to be. That left-foot screamer vs. Dunfermline will live long in the memory.

I've never been a big fan of Forbes, as his lack of mobility is a liability when other teams break. I did, however, think he was worth trying in a different role, as a deep-lying playmaker rather than an attacking midfielder. This would play to his strengths - passing - and minimise his main weakness - getting caught upfield and being unable to track back. But, alas, it wasn't to be. That left-foot screamer vs. Dunfermline will live long in the memory.

As might his badly taken penalty against them in the Cup.

Should have watched more games, bud. If you had, you might have agreed with me that he is the laziest, sloppiest waste of talent you'll have seen in a long time. His utter inability to even look like he gave a fk made the waste of his obvious skills even more infuriating.

I never tear into Thistle players on here, even if I think they are total diddies. Now Forbes is away the dam has burst and, yee-ha, I can finally vent.

The above post is total nonsense. He was carried by heroic midfielders last year. Banzo was quite brilliant, Paton a rock, Erskine mercurial and Lawless sublime. You honestly think that they let Forbes down? This year, to be fair, he never got much of a chance. He looked good in the 2nd half v. Utd in August, and when he was on in the league game against the same opposition up at Tannadice. Other than that? Total passenger.

His main weapon from last year - those cracking dead balls and corners - have completely dried up this season. As I said above, it is infuriating to see such potential wrapped up in such a lazy attitude. And it was laziness. Infuriatingly, every time he loses the ball he'll either just stop... or feebly fall down and make a jesie-assed claim for a foul. Some said he was just slow and the way he dithered about was just "his style". Pish - the guy will clearly never amount to anything in the game becasue, quite simply there is no place in football nor in life for someone who is gifted with such potential - but who does nothing more than spunk that up against a wall.

Should have watched more games, bud. If you had, you might have agreed with me that he is the laziest, sloppiest waste of talent you'll have seen in a long time. His utter inability to even look like he gave a fk made the waste of his obvious skills even more infuriating.

I never tear into Thistle players on here, even if I think they are total diddies. Now Forbes is away the dam has burst and, yee-ha, I can finally vent.

The above post is total nonsense. He was carried by heroic midfielders last year. Banzo was quite brilliant, Paton a rock, Erskine mercurial and Lawless sublime. You honestly think that they let Forbes down? This year, to be fair, he never got much of a chance. He looked good in the 2nd half v. Utd in August, and when he was on in the league game against the same opposition up at Tannadice. Other than that? Total passenger.

His main weapon from last year - those cracking dead balls and corners - have completely dried up this season. As I said above, it is infuriating to see such potential wrapped up in such a lazy attitude. And it was laziness. Infuriatingly, every time he loses the ball he'll either just stop... or feebly fall down and make a jesie-assed claim for a foul. Some said he was just slow and the way he dithered about was just "his style". Pish - the guy will clearly never amount to anything in the game becasue, quite simply there is no place in football nor in life for someone who is gifted with such potential - but who does nothing more than spunk that up against a wall.

canny wait to read your comments when we sack Piccolo & Elliott

In O'Hara's case (and that of Kenny Watson who was signed about the same time from the same team) we got good service out of them so he was worth the fee.

I vaguely remember Steve Chalmers .. don't think he made a great impact but I remember him much better than Cadete who was signed much later which just shows how much impact the latter had.

George Niven, Billie Ritchie, John Divers and Steve Chalmers were the ones that I remember from the 60s. Niven was by far the best servant, a legend in fact.

Harkins and Erskine are/were in a different stratosphere from Ross Forbes.

Forbes has dropped 2 divisions to play in the seaside league for a reason.

I see you definitely get my point. Paton not anymore here so Forbes suffering from that. A good football team has balance. You need skilful players as much as you need those with workrate. To think all eleven on the pitch need to run their socks off is a nonsense.

Of course 99.9% of people here are more qualified than me to describe the Thistle team. All I´m saying is that a player not doing that workrate level need others doing it. The perfect example is skilful players benefitting from having a Makelele or a Wanyama by their side. These two are unable to make an accurate 30-yard pass but they compensate that with their stamina, effort and lungs. Forbes didn´t have these three but was more than capable of doing those 30-yard passes.

When he was a Scotland under-21 player( at Motherwell) I thought Forbes was a player with a great future ahead of him. Possibly now he´s not even SPL material but I insist in the fact that he needed (this season at least) a hard-work midfielder alongside him in order to take the best out of him, a Paton or a Makelele or call him like you want. In fact, even with him out, the team still need that kind of player. Was Osbourne the player Archie thought he was going to do that job?

Edited by Spanish Jag