Faddy On Saturday...big, Loud, Prick.

westertonjagfan

On the way back from Fir Park on Saturday, my 10 year old son kept asking me why the loud prick behind us (my words, not his) kept shouting " you're a ******* nobody, McFadden." The reason he was asking is because watching Faddy's goal against France on YouTube has, along with many other great goals over the years, including Narey's toe poke, formed part of his football education. As far as my boy is concerned, Faddy is up there with the great Scottish players, and so he couldn't quite get why this bozo keep shouting pish at him. I started talking about banter being part of the game but then corrected myself....the loud prick was just a loud prick bumping his gums. It made me wonder a bit...are players like Faddy fair game for this kind of stuff or is he due a bit more respect for what he's done for the national team?

I tend towards the bit more respect side...

On the way back from Fir Park on Saturday, my 10 year old son kept asking me why the loud prick behind us (my words, not his) kept shouting " you're a ******* nobody, McFadden." The reason he was asking is because watching Faddy's goal against France on YouTube has, along with many other great goals over the years, including Narey's toe poke, formed part of his football education. As far as my boy is concerned, Faddy is up there with the great Scottish players, and so he couldn't quite get why this bozo keep shouting pish at him. I started talking about banter being part of the game but then corrected myself....the loud prick was just a loud prick bumping his gums. It made me wonder a bit...are players like Faddy fair game for this kind of stuff or is he due a bit more respect for what he's done for the national team?

Most fans will have a go at the players they fear will do damage to their team and will try and put them off their game as best they can.

Try to get a reaction out of them, get them booked etc etc.

These guys get this every week from fans like this who also will be the first one's to run to the Polis if the player gives them some stick back.

Edited by billko

Faddy is a legend, brought many moments of joy watching Scotland in what has been a difficult last decade for the national team...

He's done well for Scotland, but he's a huffy kid on the pitch & fouls as much as anyone in every match he plays. He must have committed at least 5 fouls in the 1st half (not bad ones, but unnecessary all the same). He's still a good player, nowhere near what he use to be however, & kind of looks like he thinks he should be respected/feared by everyone (refs, fans, opposition players) when in reality he's now no better than Higgy/Erskine etc.

Some players are professional, he doesn't strike me as being that on the pitch & that'll be a major part as to why supporters give him abuse.

Not sure about the answer to the original question. There was a time when we'd play every odd week against a player that deserved respect due to his international career. They weren't spared then so i suppose McFadden shouldn't be now. We've just had so few players that have lit up the international scene lately that I'd give him a break.

Not related to how he's treated but for a guy who never had any real pace to rely on I'm shocked by his lack of skill on display. Andy McLaren for instance showed much more at this level when he was a good few years older than McFadden.

I'm not a great follower of international football so my opinion of McFadden is formed more from his time playing domestically, especially when he was part of one of the dirtiest teams I've seen, sporting his rat-tail haircut and getting sent off against us for generally being a wee fud.

Great player on his day, mind, but those days are behind him now.

McFadden is a bona fide Scotland legend - for the France away goal; also the Holland play-off one, and generally for being one of the most skilful players we have produced in the past 20 years, who also genuinely seems desperate to play for Scotland. For that reason, no, I wouldn't shout abuse at him, but then, I am not sure shouting abuse really puts opposition players off much.

Also, he was v impressive against us in the 1-5 game - skilful and creative, although I suppose we didn't exactly make it hard for him to look good.....

Legend?!

Yup. Every time he pulled a Scotland Jersey on he gave his all, scored some crackers in big important games, had a swagger in blue and raised his game on the international level and is a footballers footballer, even at firhill when they pumped us he ran the show without breaking sweat....I assume u didn't mean to add the ? After the word legend on your post.

I go to the fitba in the hope that I'm going to see something special that will linger in the memory (a thistle win at home, for example ;). Hopefully the magic is dispensed by someone in a Thistle shirt like Dools and Erskine have done or as Higgy did on Saturday. Faddy has on occasion dished it out to us for Motherwell and even then the skill was appreciated if not entirely welcomed. Add to that those memories of his goals in a Scotland shirt then I would have no problem elevating him to legend status. The vocal abuse aimed at him by a Thistle fan are the actions of a cretin imo.

Yup. Every time he pulled a Scotland Jersey on he gave his all, scored some crackers in big important games, had a swagger in blue and raised his game on the international level and is a footballers footballer, even at firhill when they pumped us he ran the show without breaking sweat....I assume u didn't mean to add the ? After the word legend on your post.

Apart from his last game against Liechtenstein. Calling him lazy that night was about the only thing Craig Levein got right in his tenure.

Showed no interest whatsoever and I remember the crowd giving him some leeway for the first half hour then berating his complete disinterest or urgency. Rightly hooked at half time and to be honest hadn't looked anywhere near the player since.

Which is still more than good enough for the SPFL.

Some people obviously get their kicks from abusing well known players from the kick off.TBH never seen the point myself. Always seemed a bit sad to me, not to mention a tad purile as well. Best example I have was at a Thistle v Celtic game many years ago and this guy standing next to me in the shed started giving peters to Roy Aitken, right from kick off, I waited till half time before I was so pissed off by the mince that he was spouting that I told him Aitken had moved to Newcastle six months before! I don't know what happened to the guy but never heard a peep out of him for the rest of the game. And funnily enough I don't recall seeing that boy at Firhilll again.

• Like 1

Some opposition players can get wound up and lose the plot if the crowd get on their back. Alex Rae and Paul Hartley are two that spring to mind, and I would be inclined to put McFadden in this category as well, although he can hardly run fast enough to kick anyone or leave his studs in as he was fond of doing a decade ago. He's been one of my favourite players for Scotland over the last decade but he's 30 in a 40 year old body by the looks of it.

On the other hand, certain guys, like James Grady and Owen Coyle seemed to feed off it and the more you shouted abuse at them the better they played against you. Certainly based on Saturday I won't be giving Higginbotham any abuse should he be lining up against us in future...

Some people obviously get their kicks from abusing well known players from the kick off.TBH never seen the point myself. Always seemed a bit sad to me, not to mention a tad purile as well. Best example I have was at a Thistle v Celtic game many years ago and this guy standing next to me in the shed started giving peters to Roy Aitken, right from kick off, I waited till half time before I was so pissed off by the mince that he was spouting that I told him Aitken had moved to Newcastle six months before! I don't know what happened to the guy but never heard a peep out of him for the rest of the game. And funnily enough I don't recall seeing that boy at Firhilll again.

:lol:

Maybe it was Aitken himself.

I have no problem saying that Faddy is my favourite Scotland player of the last 15 years. He was just amazing in that impossible group of hell qualifier in 2006-8... And I'll never forget that SENSATIONAL Night in Paris. "Quell frape!"

Always admired him as a player at club level, too; and have no problem with him as an individual.

That said, when he's playing against my team I'll boo the wee fkr every time he touches the ball.