Just In From Easter Road

Thistle not only managed to turn in a below par performance today, but also managed for the second time at Easter Road this season to lose a 1-0 lead exceptionally late on., against ten men. Nonetheless, a Hibs equaliser could scarcely have come as much of a surprise to ant Thistle fan inside Easter Road today.

Furthermore, although some may disagree I frankly felt we weren't deserving of all three points today. Although, I would have bitten of a hand to get them.

The only really positive thing I can say is that at least our future in our own hands. Once again, the teAm let down the large travelling support. Plus ca change.

• Like 1

Thistle not only managed to turn in a below par performance today, but also managed for the second time at Easter Road this season to lose a 1-0 lead exceptionally late on., against ten men. Nonetheless, a Hibs equaliser could scarcely have come as much of a surprise to ant Thistle fan inside Easter Road today.

Furthermore, although some may disagree I frankly felt we weren't deserving of all three points today. Although, I would have bitten of a hand to get them.

The only really positive thing I can say is that at least our future in our own hands. Once again, the teAm let down the large travelling support. Plus ca change.

This is a joke right? Ok we lost a late goal again but be grateful that we didn't lose it earlier or we might have been beaten as they would had their tails up. If we got pumped 4 nil then fair enough the support would have been let down but it's a good point and whilst I agree with you that we probably didn't deserve all three I don't think it was because we were below par, more so that hibs have finally realised they are in the dogfight and finally showed some grit.

Second half we were by far the better team and if we could picked out craigen in the two or three times we broke and got balls in the game was over.

• Like 1

We were really poor today in my opinion, how the hell we finished the first half in front is beyond me, 3-1 hibs would probably bave been about right, paul gallacher was tremendous.

No outfield players really did much, that midfield is sorely missing the experience and leadership of ozzy, sitting so deep, ryan mcgivern carried the ball about 50 yards before the cross for the equaliser, we looked like the team with 10 men. Im getting married a week today, today is my last game of season, n i think im goin to be pretty nervously waiting on the score coming in, i can see us needing not only a draw but a win next week to avoid play offs. I do not fancy tynecastle, and i think county will beat hibs during the week.

Today was a massive boot in the balls. If it hadn't been for a fantastic performance from Gallacher (assisted by the woodwork) we would have lost heavily but even after we'd rode out the storm and were 1-0 up against a team who had lost their last 6, down to 10 men, and with a left footed midfielder playing right centre half with 5 minutes to go, we still absolutely shat it.

Balatoni lost the first header but I don't blame him for the goal, if Hibs thump 100 balls forward per game (which they did) they're going to win a few of them by law of averages- the fact McGivern was able to carry the ball so far forward under no pressure when we had an extra man on the park is more damning.

Our midfield is so, so lightweight- we weren't in the game at all until Thomson went off- but we're down to the bare bones now. Fingers crossed the injuries to Doolan and Mair aren't too serious.

I thought Hibs reduced us to their level and in all honesty when that happens you're always lucky if you're not beat.

Anyone any idea if that pitch was playing slow? It looked that way to me and I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate. That's no excuse for us not to come to terms with the surface but it rarely helps from a spectator point of view, I lost count of the times Hibs retrieved a ball from wide areas when it looked a certainty to cross the sidelines.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

We were really poor today in my opinion, how the hell we finished the first half in front is beyond me, 3-1 hibs would probably bave been about right, paul gallacher was tremendous.

No outfield players really did much, that midfield is sorely missing the experience and leadership of ozzy, sitting so deep, ryan mcgivern carried the ball about 50 yards before the cross for the equaliser, we looked like the team with 10 men. Im getting married a week today, today is my last game of season, n i think im goin to be pretty nervously waiting on the score coming in, i can see us needing not only a draw but a win next week to avoid play offs. I do not fancy tynecastle, and i think county will beat hibs during the week.

I think your point about McGivern can be said about most of the hibs players today, the amount of times players were allowed to waltz about 30 yards without being shut down was awful and probably why k Thomson ran the midfield first half. The last ten mins all they did was punt balls from McGivern from the half way line and to be fair I thought that was our downfall, like you say far too deep and allowing players to play long deep balls with no pressure cost us again. Even if they are headed out they would more than likely pick up the second ball.

I think bannigan is maybe the exception to the rest of the midfield, he was brilliant today and was constantly picking up lose balls but the rest of the midfield upwards need to realise that if you allow players to play long deep balls then It causes massive problems. I'll exclude Taylor from that as his chasing today was top class.

I lost count of the amount of times hibees passed poorly or we 'cleared it' only for a player to retrieve it a good two yards from the by line. Also pretty sure they paid off that near side linesman as well as his decision that Taylor fouled McGivern (I think it was him) before being thrown to the ground was a disgrace, plus some dodgy by kick calls and a hideous amount of foul throws. Still I'm sure he's spending his wages wisely tonight on hibs staying up with paddy power.

Best bit of the refereeing was however the foul on Stanton, I think it was, which was a foul but muir played on it on only to change his mind a good 15 seconds later after El tel went radio rental.

I'm glad I don't have to watch that every week- if that's what an experienced manager brings, you can keep it.

Looks like we'll continue on our mission to draw ourselves to safety. Hope it works out!

The fact we were leading at half time was somewhat fortunate, but there was a 15 minute spell second half where we got the ball down and played properly and looked like we might score at any time. But with confidence low, and the team panicky, they got their break. Two enforced subs before the break hardly helped either.

By the way, is there now a "Taylor exception" in the rule book which allows any holding or manhandling of Lyle Taylor without penalty (and sometimes a reward of a free kick).

I loved the Taylor nudge with the shoulder foul with Alan muir doing a two hands on back mime. His hands were by his waist ya walloper!! Some of the free kicks and decisions second half especially were chronic, a total homer of a ref.

A lot of folk say that we aren't professional enough at fouls I.e. Not clever enough, not sure cheating is part of the game but a professional foul used to be a red card offence!!

I misjudged the distance from where I parked to Easter Road and got to the ground just on 3pm - heard our goal in the queue - got in about 3.25pm just in time to see Conrad boot the ball clear in the six yard box. This together with the fact that you don't really have much idea what's happening at the far end when you're watching from behind the goal maybe gave me a false impression of the game.

Hibs looked more of a football team than when I've seen them previously with McGivern a competent central defender - a bit ironic that their goal came from one of his trademark hoofs into the box. I think we had 3 men trying to close down 1 Hibs player on their right touchline when the play was switched to the other side giving McGivern space and time. Very disappointing that with an extra man we weren't able to control the game,keep possession and see out a win.

As the game went on,I didn't really think they were going to score...and then they did - worryingly, throughout the season, I've never thought we were going to be in the Play Off spot. We looked quite dangerous going forward with Erskine creating and missing a great chance and Taylor twice being brought down after skinning their rotten centre half.

Balatoni had done well -was he fouled for their goal? And Big Gabby did ok - I've been critical of him previously. Bannigan looks a class act but while Fraser & Craigen had some good moments, they don't really control a game.

I would have been happy with a draw but this was yet another point which should have been three. We're making this difficult for ourselves...but It's been an exciting season.

Hibs looked more of a football team than when I've seen them previously with McGivern a competent central defender - a bit ironic that their goal came from one of his trademark hoofs into the box. I think we had 3 men trying to close down 1 Hibs player on their right touchline when the play was switched to the other side giving McGivern space and time. Very disappointing that with an extra man we weren't able to control the game,keep possession and see out a win.

As the game went on,I didn't really think they were going to score...and then they did - worryingly, throughout the season, I've never thought we were going to be in the Play Off spot. We looked quite dangerous going forward with Erskine creating and missing a great chance and Taylor twice being brought down after skinning their rotten centre half.

Balatoni had done well -was he fouled for their goal? And Big Gabby did ok - I've been critical of him previously. Bannigan looks a class act but while Fraser & Craigen had some good moments, they don't really control a game.

I would have been happy with a draw but this was yet another point which should have been three. We're making this difficult for ourselves...but It's been an exciting season.

Yeah I thought Hibs were decent today . Our goal - - nicely done Dools - was against the run of play. Thought we defended determinedly and Galls was superb. We were better 2 nd half but a draw was more than fair to us . Unbeaten now in 3 games and 5 points from 9 is good going . I fancy Hibs against Ross C on what I saw today.

I'm not dragging up an old thread so I'll make the point here.

The manager's post match comments on the official site...

Did anyone see him on the touchline telling his players to press high?

I certainly didn't. Compare that to the muppets that is Terry Butcher who spent most of the afternoon waving players over & giving them instructions.

I'm not saying our manager should've been doing same but if there was something he didn't like or didn't want then why was he not out instructing his players?

Which brings me on to the next point. Is he learning?

Aside from the amount of goals we concede in the last 5 minutes of games, back in December, Hibs are 1 down at home & lump high balls into the box. What happens? We drop off too deep & don't defend 1st or 2nd balls which leads to their equaliser.

Wind the clock forward 6 months. (Or even look at the forum thread from last week). & you know that Hibs under different management are going to be even more direct.

What happens? We drop deeper & deeper against 10 men as they lump high balls from their new centre half Liam Craig. We don't defend a high straight ball which leads to tenor equaliser.

I'm sorry but either the team isn't learning, the management team aren't learning or both. Ultimately though the buck has to stop with the manager. Especially as he's saying he can see what's happening.

What did he do about it though?

I'm not dragging up an old thread so I'll make the point here.

The manager's post match comments on the official site...

Did anyone see him on the touchline telling his players to press high?

I certainly didn't. Compare that to the muppets that is Terry Butcher who spent most of the afternoon waving players over & giving them instructions.

I'm not saying our manager should've been doing same but if there was something he didn't like or didn't want then why was he not out instructing his players?

Which brings me on to the next point. Is he learning?

Aside from the amount of goals we concede in the last 5 minutes of games, back in December, Hibs are 1 down at home & lump high balls into the box. What happens? We drop off too deep & don't defend 1st or 2nd balls which leads to their equaliser.

Wind the clock forward 6 months. (Or even look at the forum thread from last week). & you know that Hibs under different management are going to be even more direct.

What happens? We drop deeper & deeper against 10 men as they lump high balls from their new centre half Liam Craig. We don't defend a high straight ball which leads to tenor equaliser.

I'm sorry but either the team isn't learning, the management team aren't learning or both. Ultimately though the buck has to stop with the manager. Especially as he's saying he can see what's happening.

What did he do about it though?

During the commentary, on quite a few occasions they told us Paterson was out the dugout instructing the players.

Doolan goal. Couldn't really tell what happened but his movement is better than Taylor. I feel we end up pumping high balls to Lyle too often.

Bannigan is our best player over this season although Gallacher was man of the match. Some amazing saves.

Perhaps with Mair there we may have defended better at the end as his experience has improved us no end. When we put the ball on the deck we are better than Hibs but 1-1 was a fair result considering Hibs missed chances.

Both Hibs and Thistle fans will be supporting Hearts tonight. Our fate is still in our hands. What a season.

As someone pointed out elsewhere no matter what happens a win v Ross county on Saturday an we will be safe. Not as if we have struggled at home this season

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up we had to win next Sat. Good to have it in your own hands but not an appealing prospect. In retrospect the win at Rugby Park was the biggest result of the season ( so far ).

As I've thought for a while the time to be happy with a draw has long gone, at this,stage in the season we've got to win. One small consolation however is that most of our immediate rivals are in the same boat.

That said I still think that if we can patch the team together we have enough to beat Hearts on Wednesday night, to be totally honest I dread having to win against County on Saturday, no matter that it would make for a helluva exciting day.

Edited by stillresigned