Keep The North Stand Red And Yellow

yoda-jag

It's a shocker about the NS, it would be nice to know the reasoning behind the decision. IM and PT, it's a tough gig you guys got for sure taking on the burden of this news. Please feel free to share the burden by letting us know the reasoning from Maxy. Until we know that, we have half a story. We have a bunch of angry people and we are starting petitions and planning actions based on scant fact. Granted, I put my name to both petitions as that's reasonable at this stage but if the fan base is to organise and unite in a solid stance we need to do it from the most educated standpoint with as much clarity and lack of confusion as possible.

I sit in JH with my kids but I'm a shed veteran and witnessed first hand the demise in atmosphere, contributing to the downfall of the club. For me, the 'new shed' in the NS (and more specifically, the people in it) has been the single most important factor in the reversal of our clubs fortunes, as without it the demise would have continued towards the inevitable. I believe further growth of the club is inextricably linked to the experience on match days. Without getting carried away and until we are furnished with the facts, yes, it is a business but the main assets are the fans and if the board fail to realise this then they are not fit to run this business.

PTFC have the best opportunity in decades to move forward but only if the fans (who have already saved our club not so long ago) needs are prioritised.

Keep the NS red and yellow. This is our club.

Edited to add, I just read your reply PT after I posted. Thanks for letting us know, and ouch! that's a sore one to take. So it's not good enough to inconvenience our supporters for the Celtic matches, but to save the 'back office' inconvenience the fans should be shafted permanently. Ludicrous and absolutely unacceptable as well as short-sighted, for a club to treat it's supporters like this.

Edited by craigthepict

Oh FFS - as somebody else said, if we just take that moving for the Celtic game is a given and they announce this just now, surely that alleviates any issues. You could even select your main stand seat along with your ST seat incase we draw the old firm in any cups. I'm unlucky enough to have my ST seat on the spot where they erect rigging for a camera at the back of the JH whenever a game is televised - they contact me every time this is an issue.

Are they cutting back on office staff - how much trouble can this be vs. the extra income we get from Celtic games? Is it worth this amount of bad feeling?

Ok, you asked for it...

Because it takes the office 3 weeks to prepare for a Celtic game, moving us permanently will alleviate some of the workload from the office as they won't need to contact 250 season ticket holders about moving.

e

asy to mitigate against with ST renewals coming up, you tell those in the specified areas to select new seats...if they don't want new seats in the JH Stand you pre-print tickets for them for the Celtic match or come up with some other, easy to use & remember system.

Do we actually know who took this decision?

I'm as irked by this proposed move as anyone else on here, but I'm also a wee bit concerned that there's a fair bit of name-calling and blame apportioning going down here without us properly knowing who incubated and hatched this plan.

We know that Maxi and Lance were the messengers, but seem to be assuming that the idea was David Beattie's (he's certainly taking the bulk of the flak). Is it not possible that the idea originated with Maxwell/Gilmour/someone else and was consented to, noddingly, by the board on the grounds that in their positions as General Manager/Matchday Operations Director these guys should know what they're doing.

I know nothing to suggest that this or any other scenario is actually what happened; simply feel there's a little more heat being directed at particular individuals than can be justified right at this minute.

Ok, you asked for it...

Because it takes the office 3 weeks to prepare for a Celtic game, moving us permanently will alleviate some of the workload from the office as they won't need to contact 250 season ticket holders about moving.

That's an absolute joke. They're destroying the match day experience, whilst also risking a large amount of income for the club, for the sake of saving the office staff some time?

PT, with the 'Matchday Experience Officer' or whatever it is that Mr Beattie mentioned in the STV interview being appointed then surely his/her role can be to undertake the effort that it takes to sort out the season ticket holders for the two paltry Celtic games that occur each season. In fact, the club will know exactly who the 250 season ticket holders are who need notified when they purchase their season ticket so they inform them then and they know it's coming. That is a ridiculous, pathetic excuse and totally unacceptable.

It seems quite clear from reading the eight pages of this thread that it's not just us North Standers who see this move by the club as being a shoot yourself in the foot moment. There has been plenty of JHS patrons posting who value and see the benefits the North Stand has brought to the club over the last few seasons and there is not a doubt in my mind that the effect the North Stand has had in creating an atmosphere has inspired the players to achieve what we have achieved over the last few seasons.

Personally, I think the best course of action that can be taken here is that everyone who feels aggrieved by this decision and the way in which it has been handled gets on the phone to the club tomorrow, the day of the season ticket launch, and lets it be made clear that they will not be renewing their season ticket or buying one for the first time like myself until this ludicrous decision is reversed. I will be doing this and I will also be making it clear that I will be attending Firhill less if we are forced to return to the sanitised atmosphere of the JHS or moved into the Main Stand and will instead be taking in more away games and supporting the team in that way. The North Stand has revitalised my love of PTFC and the atmosphere of the North Stand without a doubt helped save me from becoming one of the ones who slipped away. I will also be informing the club that I will be cancelling my Centenary Fund membership and any thought of becoming a TAG member were it to ever surface again has gone unless this changes.

For me the PropCo situation has nothing to do with this and I personally don't think this should be linked in any way to this crazy move. If it was part of any agenda then the idea of moving the NS crowd to the main stand wouldn't be happening as that and the bing is what PropCo owns. I am dismissing that and just putting this down to some half-arsed part of a so-called business plan.

This new 'Matchday Experience Officer' or whatever that Mr Beattie talked about is gonna have to have some voice on him to generate the atmosphere to add to the experience that the 600 or so who attend the North Stand do. Be money well spent if he/she can recreate that, as from what I see Firhill is going to be heading back to the soulless dark days again if the club persist with this nonsensical decision. The way in which this was delivered to Ian & PT suits the club too I reckon. At least this way it is out there and word has probably spread enough for many of the Nort Stand supporters to now know the farcical plan. If it hadn't been leaked out like this when folk phoned up to get season tickets and asked for the North Stand the ones in the office would be getting it when having to say it's either JHS or Main Stand for Jags fans.

Like I said, I think the best course of action here is phone calls to the club tomorrow and let your feelings be known whether you are a North Stand regular or JHS punter who understands what having the North Stand has brought to the club over the last few years... 0141 579 1971, get calling.

Edited by Vom Itorium

e

asy to mitigate against with ST renewals coming up, you tell those in the specified areas to select new seats...if they don't want new seats in the JH Stand you pre-print tickets for them for the Celtic match or come up with some other, easy to use & remember system.

I suggested we offer a non Celtic season ticket as an alternative option. They hadn't thought of that.

• Like 1

Ok, you asked for it...

Wow... that's it?

Can't the club just assign those with North Stand STs with a second seat in the Main Stand for OF fixtures.

Or if that's too complicated, call a temp agency for some help in the office for those three weeks or so leading up to OF games?

The highly-successful NS initiative - the 12th man - was going to be dismantled over this... Jesus H.!

PT, with the 'Matchday Experience Officer' or whatever it is that Mr Beattie mentioned in the STV interview being appointed then surely his/her role can be to undertake the effort that it takes to sort out the season ticket holders for the two paltry Celtic games that occur each season. In fact, the club will know exactly who the 250 season ticket holders are who need notified when they purchase their season ticket so they inform them then and they know it's coming. That is a ridiculous, pathetic excuse and totally unacceptable.

It's more than likely we will only play Celtic once next season, twice at parkhead.

Ok, you asked for it...

That is moronic.

Here's a solution that requires approximately zero effort.

North Stand season tickets which have a preferenced seat are instead valid for entry into the Jackie Husband Stand at Celtic games.

End.

• Like 1

Ok, you asked for it...

3 weeks! I could print off 250 letters and addressed envelopes and have them out in time for the afternoon mail!

• Like 1

I wouldn't count on it. I'm starting to think more and more that this is a toys out the pram moment at there being protests over being moved for the Celtic games and this is their first opportunity to do anything about it. My main concern here is that their is undoubted pig-headedness within the powers that be at our club and this is payback time and nothing will change their minds.

Thinking about it more, they don't even need to contact the season ticket holders about moving. Everyone knows it's main stand for those games, just make it unreserved seating and move on. Maybe send out a quick reminder email saying it's main stand at most. What a ludicrous explanation.

We really are at risk here of giving up something which is more important than a bit of extra cash or signing Lyle Taylor or Chris erskine, and that is the soul of partick thistle football club. I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I'd rather watch the team play football in the bottom tier with the atmosphere we've had in recent years than sit in a soulless, atmosphere-less stadium in the top flight. Without doubt the north stand singing section is crucial to the match day experience, but more than that, to me at least, it's crucial to my experience of being a partick thistle fan. I will still support the club if we do end up losing the stand obviously but I will truly feel like I've lost something, like my connection with my fellow fan has been weakened. Thistle are a business, yes, and some decisions must be made with this fact in mind. This, however, cannot be allowed to stand as the heart of the club cannot be justifiably sacrificed for the sake of a bit of cash, or that it's a nuisance to rehouse Celtic fans. The only games this season where the away fans were audibly louder were the second Celtic game, and the Motherwell game, and the reasons for that are fairly obvious. The north stand and the experience of being a thistle fan are special and we cannot allow them to be so willfully thrown away. Keep the north stand red & yellow.

• Like 1

I was in the Main Stand for the Celtic game and it really is a bit of a hole. I was half way back and the roof cuts your view, as do the pillars. Also, the noise generated from the North Stand travels up the pitch, rather than being trapped inside a tin can main stand. I'm a JHS season ticket holder, but for various reasons have sat in a few places in JHS, main stand and north stand this season. The JHS really does lack atmosphere but at least you get a good view over towards the opposition, which is something I had missed when away fans are in the North.

All this for the Celtic games seems ridiculous and completely short sighted - but everything I have to say has been said by others. Bitter end to a season.

To grow a club you need to grow home fans support, not the away fans who come regardless of where they sit.

I suggested we offer a non Celtic season ticket as an alternative option. They hadn't thought of that.

Was just about to suggest much the same - other clubs (including OF) do it. Charge NS season tickets £20 less - you decide if you want to go to Celtic game and buy a ticket separately for that. No extra admin needed.

If this is the real rationale, it is insane. It is utterly ridiculous to view about 20% of your regular customer base as an inconvenience, but that seems to be where customer relations are at the moment with Firhill management. In this case it is easy to call them out on it.

There are very simple solutions to this problem and unless one is adopted, ST sales will be lost, possibly also Centenary Fund memberships as well as other income.

E-mails and letters to that effect should be sent today.

Football clubs are businesses, but not in the normal sense. The clue is in the last word of PTFC. It is also a CLUB and needs its member/supporters. There is a thread on P&B about club attendances since the demise of Rangers. Ours has increased by 114 % in 2 years. In my opinion that is largely down to the improved atmosphere of supporters in the North Stand. It has been pointed out that it averages 600 per game. I would guess that on Saturday there were double that.

Article in the ET http://www.eveningti...63160n.24202837

I'd really like to know the process if it takes three weeks to notify ST holders, would gladly give up my free time to come up with a solution. Agree with many others, there has to be a better solution to this than moving us from the NS. Everyone knows it's going to happen for Celtic games, no one is dumb enough to turn up to this game, get to the North Stand and then wonder what the hell is going on why are all the Celtic fans in here.

How are they notifying people? Are they using John Lambies doos to send messages!? Even this I don't think would take three weeks. You'd think they'd have everyones emails address, send one mail to everyone and job is done.

Edited by Graemei

So if the 3 weeks of work is the main reason then do it all before the season starts. Tell fans they will be moved for any games involving Celtic/Rangers , sort out a seat beforehand and give the fans a ticket for that seat when you issue the season ticket. Or sell a ST without the Celtic game(s)

Easily sorted and doesnt need this sort of crazy blanket decision which is ruining a lot of goodwill the club had built up.

What email address is everyone using to contact the club? Hoping to send a mail later today.

I wonder if the decision to let two fans know and no official announcement as yet is kind of testing the water so they don't have to back out of an official decision should this backlash be enough to convince them this is a terrible idea?

Edited by Graemei
  • Like 1