World Cup 10 Yard Line

Willjag

Absolutely pathetic from the Brazil player (Fred?).

If they're as good as they are supposed to be there should be no need for that kind of cheating.

Hope they fail to win the cup.

On the same theme, I wonder if the Japanese ref learned his trade from Mr. Mottram (formerly of this parish) who went to Japan after the mess he made of his career here.

• Like 1

Brazilian Marcelo spent more time rolling around on the grass than he did on his feet. Maybe they could use the white paint to draw a line around a seriously injured player whilst awaiting the stretcher. The white outline would mean you could not come back on at all

Ah, the World Cup - the proper celebration of everything great about football ... endless, incessant advertising, gamesmanship of the first degree, stupid "haircuts" on the star players, TV cameras lecherously ogling the fruitiest girls in the audience, even more advertising, crowds who get bored of actually watching the games ... superb stuff.

Give me Stirling Albion v Arbroath on a Dreich Saturday in November ... now that's football.

Edited by peagreenboy
  • Like 3

If the first game is representative, then Brasil are going to prove difficult to beat. As their opposition is going to have to play against twelve men and the referee being that twelfth man. That referee last night awarded Brasil a penalty with all the alacrity of his Scottish counterpart awarding a similar non-penalty for Rangers/Sevco. And given the similar levels of corruption, albeit on a much grander scale at FIFA and in Govan, I wouldn't be convinced that this was due to mere chance.

That said, unless there is a dramatic improvement in their performance level, hopefully we didn't see the potential world champions last night.

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 1

What a fantastic, yet simple idea. Love to see that coming in here too.

I'm sure I read about them doing that in Brazil over ten years ago. Don't know if they've been doing it over there ever since and Fifa liked the idea. Maybe Brazil has cornered the market in cans of white disappearing paint?

If we used it over here I'd wager Willie Collum would draw the straightest of lines with near absolute geometric precision. As likely as not never a foul in the first place but a lovely straight line all the same..

• Like 1

I'm sure I read about them doing that in Brazil over ten years ago. Don't know if they've been doing it over there ever since and Fifa liked the idea. Maybe Brazil has cornered the market in cans of white disappearing paint?

I've seen a few games over in Mexico and they use it there as well, Argentina too. Apparently it's set for use in the Champions' League next season.

When the ref has made a (sometimes dodgy) decision and legions of players on the wrong end of the decision swarm round him to protest the error of his ways, right in his face, it would be interesting to see what happens if he was to retreat then paint a line of a few feet then stand, say, 3 or 4 yards behind it, with the agreed proviso that any player encroaching over the line gets an automatic yellow. Hmmmm.

When the ref has made a (sometimes dodgy) decision and legions of players on the wrong end of the decision swarm round him to protest the error of his ways, right in his face, it would be interesting to see what happens if he was to retreat then paint a line of a few feet then stand, say, 3 or 4 yards behind it, with the agreed proviso that any player encroaching over the line gets an automatic yellow. Hmmmm.

I don't think the players would let him retreat long enough to paint nay line. How about the ref is allowed to spray the players in the face with it? Some sort of paint/pepper spray combo?

Edited by peagreenboy

I don't think the players would let him retreat long enough to paint nay line. How about the ref is allowed to spray the players in the face with it? Some sort of paint/pepper spray combo?

We're obviously ahead of the game here in Scotland, where referees get together before the season to blacken the names of particular players before they've even kicked a ball. :lol: