World Cup Pundit Thread

thebiglemon

It would be nice to think that we could now sit back and enjoy the World Cup, without having to endure constant mindless references to England and what they might have done, if in fact they weren't rotten. However, in light of previous history I won't hold my breath. Nonetheless, this tournament has on the whole been a joy to watch and has been a breath of fresh air. One thing that would improve the coverage would be an end to the superficial and patronising coverage from the UK media, again I'll not hold my breath here.

Edited by stillresigned

It would be nice to think that we could now sit back and enjoy the World Cup, without having to endure constant mindless references to England and what they might have done, ifd in fact they weren't rotten. However, in light of previous history I won't hold my breath. Nonetheless, this tournament has on the whole been a joy to watch and has been a breath of fresh air. One thing that would improve the coverage would be an end to the superficial and patronising coverage from the UK media, again I'll not hold my breath here.

Nah, they'll find some way of working England into every utterance, most probably by focussing on foreign players who play in England.

It has been a good tournament so far though, and not just because of England falling pathetically on their arses. To be honest I don't bear much ill-will towards England, although I would love Costa Rica to beat them to (hopefully) silence, once and for all, 24 years of taking the piss out of us for getting beat by them in Italia '90.

Martin O'Neill owns Chiles, Vieira & Cannavaro: http://youtu.be/SLV3zpEKZXw

:lol:

To be fair, if you simply looked at Martin O'Neill nowadays you could be forgiven for not believing that he had once been a professional footballer.

How many 62 year old former professional footballers look like they were once professional footballers? You're as daft as Chiles, GI!

People like Alan Hansen, Alex McLeish, Gordon Smith and even Mark Lawrenson look like ex-professional footballers. I don't know why, they just have a certain look about them.

O'Neill, on the other hand, looks more like a lawyer (I think he actually studied law at one point) or a consultant surgeon rather than an ex-pro footballer. Ditto Pat Nevin. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Ditto Pat Nevin. .

Talking of the ubiquitous Nevin he can be spotted during the pre match punditry. The ones they have round the big table down at beach, where you can just make out the bold Pat in the mid distance.. He's been buried in the sand right up to his neck. Kids, I assume, have rather unkindly stuck his pencils up his big hooter tho' perhaps more kindly they've made him.a sun hat out his clipboard.

As annoying as the constant reference to Engerland are(particularly on the so called national UK news!), I've got to allow that the football has been by and large excellent. A real tonic for jaded cynics like myself and frankly a joy to watch.

Mind you perhaps the award for the most ignorant comment may be won by Clive Tillsley with his sage assertion that the Iranian players all had their Christian names on their jerseys. Its reassuring to find out that ITV commentators ar so au-fait with world geo-politics.

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 1

Mind you perhaps the award for the most ignorant comment may be won by Clive Tillsley with his sage assertion that the Iranian players all had their Christian names on their jerseys. Its reassuring to find out that ITV commentators ar so au-fait with world geo-politics.

Bloody hell, really? Even after Motson was ridiculed and slated for saying exactly the same (in relation to Turkey, I think) some 20 or more years ago!

Bloody hell, really? Even after Motson was ridiculed and slated for saying exactly the same (in relation to Turkey, I think) some 20 or more years ago!

Good point... it's not as if all that many kids are actually christened in our country these days and any form you fill in asks for first name, not Christian name. He's not only ignorant but years out of date.

Why do the English commentators have such a chip on their shoulder about Germany? Didn't they beat them in a World Cup final (also two World Wars)?

I suppose it's a bit like us with England. They're not really that bothered about us as we're not really a rival to them, whereas for us they're the biggest rivalry there is and always will be. Suppose England see Germany like this, even though most Germans would regard England as absolutely irrelevant in footballing terms.

• Like 1

Rio Ferdinand, after the Belgium v USA game: "It was like a Premier League game"

Like Hull v Stoke for example?

If that was typical of a Premier League game I would seriously consider breaking my own rule and taking out a Sky Sports package.

I suppose these pundits are there to say something but after a game like that there's so little to add that hadn't already been said in commentary..