World Cup Pundit Thread

thebiglemon

Anyone choose to watch ITV over BBC tonight?

I had the 5 live live commentary option on. They have to describe more and spend less time making inane remarks.

Turned over to ITV after ten minutes of Lawro's high pitched ramblings of pish and back to the beeb at half time to avoid Wrighty's over excited gibberish crap

Call me a sad old pedant but .....

.... Why do all of the media call this Germany's 4th World Cup victory ? It is their first. 1954, 1974 and 1990 were all won by West Germany

I wish they would get it right as it pisses me off.

I could be wrong in this, but I believe it's because united Germany is considered to be a continuation of west Germany rather than being a brand new country. Therefore, the national team is, in FIFA's view, the same one just playing under a new name and as such keeps the records of the west Germany team. It's the same as Serbia being considered the successor nation to Yugoslavia, or that England would be the successor nation to the UK in the case of Scottish independence.

.... Why do all of the media call this Germany's 4th World Cup victory ? It is their first. 1954, 1974 and 1990 were all won by West Germany

Better tell the DFB then.

http://dfb-fanshop.de/Trikotbaukasten#Herren_Heimtrikot-WM-2014-Weltmeister

more like Hungary and the Netherlands lost the '54 & '74 finals.

To be fair Radio 5 this morning were mindful of the unification and mentioned West Germany's wins. Anyway 9 times out of 10 pundits and commentators just call them The Germans

I could be wrong in this, but I believe it's because united Germany is considered to be a continuation of west Germany rather than being a brand new country. Therefore, the national team is, in FIFA's view, the same one just playing under a new name and as such keeps the records of the west Germany team. It's the same as Serbia being considered the successor nation to Yugoslavia, or that England would be the successor nation to the UK in the case of Scottish independence.

According to the FIFA website, before the war they were known as Germany, then from 1954-1990 as Germany FR (Federal Republic to distinguish them from the so-called German Democratic Republic, otherwise known as East Germany), and from 1994 the name reverted to Germany.

According to the FIFA website, before the war they were known as Germany, then from 1954-1990 as Germany FR (Federal Republic to distinguish them from the so-called German Democratic Republic, otherwise known as East Germany), and from 1994 the name reverted to Germany.

Aye, that's what I'm trying to say, FIFA consider it to be the same team playing under a different name, hence the team has won 4 world cups.

Aye, that's what I'm trying to say, FIFA consider it to be the same team playing under a different name, hence the team has won 4 world cups.

Struggling to think of an analogy in club football where a new club has taken over the history of a defunct one. Must be one somewhere, but I just can't for the life of me figure it out.

• Like 1

Struggling to think of an analogy in club football where a new club has taken over the history of a defunct one. Must be one somewhere, but I just can't for the life of me figure it out.

I can imagine a scenario in which unscrupulous businessmen might seek to use such a situation as an opportunity to dupe fans of a defunct club to line their own pockets. Pure fiction, of course. Nobody would be gullible enough to fall for such a transparently obvious con.

Got me a bit lost here. Obviously Germany of today can be credited previous successes under West Germany. In fact they should be all the prouder having success when they couldn't draw on another 16 million or so. Serbia can't lay claim to whatever successes Yugoslavia achieved just as the Czech Republic can't be credited with reaching a World Cup final twice.

Got me a bit lost here. Obviously Germany of today can be credited previous successes under West Germany. In fact they should be all the prouder having success when they couldn't draw on another 16 million or so. Serbia can't lay claim to whatever successes Yugoslavia achieved just as the Czech Republic can't be credited with reaching a World Cup final twice.

Only they can though. The Czech Republic national team is recognised by FIFA as being the successor to the Czechoslovakia national team, so in their eyes it's basically the same team. Likewise, The Yugoslavia national team became Serbia and Montenegro, which then became Serbia so the team is, in fifas eyes, a continuation of that same team.

It's important to differentiate between the nation and the national team here. Obviously the nation of the Czech Republic have never been runners up the World Cup, but what has now become the Czech national team has done so if that makes sense.