Brazil

peagreenboy

Were Germany really that good when they attacked, or was it more a case of the Brazilian defenders playing as if they'd never met each other before the match?

Maybe both?

Probably both, plus the Germans' mindset. Other teams might have killed the game at 3-0 but they just kept looking to score more. Could easily have been 10.

Only problem for Germany after a game like that might be being mentally 100% up for the final opponents. But it probably won't be. Think other big teams depend on one or two great players. Maybe Germany don't have a Ronaldo or a Neymar or a Messi but they have dangerous players all round the park.

Germany didn't really need to do anything special last night. There wasn't a single goal in there that couldn't have been avoided had Brazil been remotely competent. Not saying Germany weren't good, they were, but it's not like they were just playing out their skin. Been waiting all tournament for Brazil to get shown up, thank **** it's happened.

I thought Germany were exceptionally well organised: every player who received the ball in every area of the park had an outlet, sometimes two or three. Essentially, they played fairly simple but highly effective football, meaning that the opposition had to be on top form to deal with them. Normally, when a team scores a runaway victory - say, in this case, 7-1 - we will nearly always say "it could've been 12 or 13", but actually it could've been 8, so accurate was their finishing.

Brazil, as mediocre as they are and have been throughout this tournament, were shorn of their only two top class players; and that should've been turned into a galvanising factor - cite Thiago Silva talking pre-match about "doing this for Naymar", playing down the far bigger concern regarding his own absence. This promised to be, and was, the moment where we would find out whether sideshow Bob - captain in Thiago's enforced absence - would live up to the hyperbole placed at his doorstep by charlatan commentators, or whether more prosaic evaluations of him by others more grounded in reality, would be realised. In the event, the latter scenario emerged as true: Luiz was, not to overstate his performance, thoroughly rank rotten: utterly clueless in the most basic attributes of defence; disspirited after 20-odd minutes; devoid throughout of any semblance of the leadership expected of him; bereft of positioning sense; and, with two shameful and clearly intended (yet inexplicably unpunished) brutish elbows to the head of the dignified Miroslav Klose, reduced to thuggery.

In my opinion Chelsea, being in receipt of £50m for a poorly polished turd, are now clear leaders of the world good luck table.

All that said, there is some credit due to Scolari and 3 or 4 of his players for the dignified manner in which they dealt with their shocking humiliation. And as some pundits decreed, there is a massive re-building exercise now to be undertaken; a bit like saying that East Stirlingshire have a task ahead of them to achieve European football in the next four years. Ok, maybe a tiny exaggeration there, but the job of re-building a footballing super power around two excellent players is a wee bit daunting in my opinion. We shall see.

• Like 1

Klose is who Doolan should model himself on. I've seen Klose in a league match and he was very impressive.

So far as I can see, each German player only passes to another player that has at least two teammates to pass to. The play looks organised and accurate because every player is required to be aware of this when on the ball, while the others need to be ready to receive the ball from any teammate being approached by an opposition player.

Neuer will be fizzing at his defenders for not protecting him enough to keep a clean sheet, even though the game was already wrapped up by then.

You can't take anything away from Germany. They knew what Brazil's game was about and played at a fast pace that the Brazil defence couldn't cope with. Brazil's defence have gotten used to a very slow pace as every opposition attack until last night had been stopped with a foul at half-way with systematic fouling. The Germany midfield, every single one of them, didn't let any Brazil players close enough to even think about making a foul. Even when the ball went dead for a throw in or free kick Germany took it quickly, see the second Shurrle goal as an example.

Argentina vs. Netherlands was a bit of a bore-fest. Robben is some player, as is Messi. But given that the Netherlands had failed to win either this match or their previous one (didn't even score), then I think that justice was done. Now looking forward to the final, which for me will mean either getting out of bed for a 5 am kick-off, or staying up all night.... Nah, I'll try to get some sleep first.

Have to disagree. Anything but a bore fest. True it lacked the drama of some of the previous games but there was some very good football played. Both sides set up of course to try to cancel the oppositions best players out - what would you expect after the Brazil game? But despite that both sides had spells where they looked threatening and individuals showed good skills. In fact that was all the more impressive considering they were wary of taking too many risks. Of course maybe not one of the great games but these don't happen too often - decent game nevertheless.

• Like 1

Have to disagree. Anything but a bore fest. True it lacked the drama of some of the previous games but there was some very good football played. Both sides set up of course to try to cancel the oppositions best players out - what would you expect after the Brazil game? But despite that both sides had spells where they looked threatening and individuals showed good skills. In fact that was all the more impressive considering they were wary of taking too many risks. Of course maybe not one of the great games but these don't happen too often - decent game nevertheless.

You're right; there was indeed some great passing and control from both sides, and it's unfair to compare it directly to the other semi. They did cancel each other out, though, which happens often. It was the kind of game that I'd have expected if the Netherlands had got into the final against Germany. As it is, I expect the final to be a more open and eventful affair.

• Like 1

Germany didn't really need to do anything special last night. There wasn't a single goal in there that couldn't have been avoided had Brazil been remotely competent. Not saying Germany weren't good, they were, but it's not like they were just playing out their skin. Been waiting all tournament for Brazil to get shown up, thank **** it's happened.

I know what your saying and kinda agree, but to focus on Brazilian deficiencies, whilst failing to give any credit to opponents who humped them 7-1: like the english media did reminds me of the coverage given by the Scottish media to certain teams I won't bother to name.