Fleetwood Score

topcat

First half Jags weren't up to much second half was more attacking & less shaky. Fleetwood were nothing great but still managed more shots at goal and in some cases If it wasn't for Fix today we would have easily lost goals. Superb in some 1:1 situations

Balatoni & Muirhead don't seem to talk to each other enough, Muirhead seemed to stray behind the defensive line not keeping it straight.

McMillan was LB, does that mean he's there for the season?

Higgy was lost out on the left in the first half, the ball not getting to him & no support when it did.

Lawless is no more than a squad player he's not a match winner or a game changer.

Gary Fraser needs to keep cool & not get involved in any skirmishes after one if there players spat the dummy from a tackle near the end

Stevenson & Duggan came close at the end

Good to see SOD for the full 90 & big Osman looks solid. Doolan not given much to work with.

That's my verdict maybe not others.

I don't think Fraser could've done much re the minor spat. He did mistime a tackle and the Fleetwood lad overreacted with yon menacing head rubbing routine. Gary simply stood his ground. Much more nonsense at Glentoran when Fraser was about the only outfield player not to get involved. Thought Fraser had a very good game and looks like he'll link up well with Abdul.

The positives today were more centred round the very good work out. Game was played at a fast pace on a speedy surface. SOD got nearly ninety minutes and Fox is back to looking very sharp.

Thought the most disappointing aspect was our shape. It was often very experimental. At one time we were effectively playing 4-2-4. What I don't know is just how good a team are Fleetwood. If they go onto establish themselves in Div 1 I would imagine our performance today ain't bad at all.

I like Fox and it sounds like he had a good game but I really hope he doesn't start as no.1 this season. Fox has started vs Brighton, Dumbarton, Rangers and now Fleetwood as far as I'm aware, surely Gallacher has to be the no.1, he was outstanding last year, the amount of points he saved us was unreal.

I'd be inclined to go 4-3-2-1.

Gallacher

McMillan - Muirhead (/New CB) - Balatoni - New LB

Fraser - Osman - Bannigan

Stevenson - Higginbotham

Doolan

Or would a Van Gaal 3-4-3 formation suit our current squad better?

Fox/Gallacher

McMillan, Muirhead, Balatoni

O'Donnell, Osman, Fraser, Bannigan (when fit)

Stevenson, Doolan, Higginbotham

Subs from - Fox/Gallacher, Keenan, Lindsay, Welsh (when fit), Wilson, McDaid, Craigen, Duggan

Edited by kni

Did Archie change to an alternative formation at all, like previously. Or did he stick with 4-2-3-1?

Yes & no. See my previous post made albeit with a fair amount of alcohol in my system. He certainly had the team line up that way at the start. In fairness with so many subs the positioning was rather fluid.Stevenson ended up in the sole striker role for a while.

My reference to 4-2-4 was really highlighting the fact that Stevenson, Higgy & Lawless were not tracking back effectively. Not meant as a criticism of the players

The defence was certainly exposed down the flanks and I thought the centrebacks did well enough to not get dragged all over the place, which is not an unusual weakness.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Like others have said, big concerns about certain key positions not filled yet, and with no news of anything imminent with our first league fixture lurking round the corner. In fact, when Craigen came on for Doolan, we had no recognised striker on the field. Hmmmmm.

On a positive note, I felt we showed a bit more quality than them in our passing, especially our long, or rather diagonal passes, mainly from SOD who, imo, looked a lot like the O'Donnell of old. I say that despite the fact we gave the ball away on too many occasions. My mate. - a lifetime Man City fan and top amateur player in his day- commented that we looked a very slick and well controlled side but with no final product. That was evident from the amount of times we got good passes out to Higgy who couldn't find a target in the box, mainly because there wasn't one.

Fox, like SOD, looked like the Fox we grew fond of a year or so ago. Archie's intentention to re-instate him as first choice seem quite clear at the moment. With Scully doing well at Dunfermline, it seems we're definitely very well covered in the keeper department, unlike most other areas of the park.

Pass marks also to Osman and Stevenson who look like welcome additions and who both got stuck in throughout. Fraser looks like he's slowly but surely blossoming into quality act. Let's just hope we stay relatively injury-free for as long as possible; I have a nagging doubt that we might pay a heavy price for having such a threadbare squad as things stand.

Final note: great to hear the clamorous renditions of "oh the sevco are shite" being belted out in Jim's bar as soon as SSN reported them conceding then going further behind. Hahahahaha.

looked like the Fox we grew fond of a year or so ago. Archie's intentention to re-instate him as first choice seem quite clear at the moment. With Scully doing well at Dunfermline, it seems we're definitely very well covered in the keeper department, unlike most other areas of the park.

As much as I like Fox, can't help thinking that Galls will be mightily pissed off if he doesn't start as No1 this season after his heroics last season. Still as you say, we are seriously well off in the goalie department

• Like 1

In fact, when Craigen came on for Doolan, we had no recognised striker on the field. Hmmmmm.

I'm not that sure that was anymore surreal than having a side with Higgy, Stevenson, Lawless and Doolan all starting. Why Duggan wasn't the player for player sub in the instance you mention suggests Archie was still more interested in game time than team balance. If I thought for a moment it was tactical decision then I'd be extremely worried.

I do tho' think that cover for Doolan will be of less priority than left back so I can see cause for concern from an attacking point of view. I'm also fairly unconvinced that Stevenson can play more than the occasional bit part as an out and out striker.

At this moment in time an ample amount of goals from midfield appear our best hope of survival. Nothing yesterday to suggest anything too positive on that front but at the same time we do have the personnel to chip in with goals.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To put our draw with Fleetwood into perspective, they are currently top of League One. Two points clear after three games. The only 100% record in the league. Two of their wins, though, have been against the current and pointless bottom two, Crewe and Lyle Taylor's Scunthorpe.

They did strike me as a team well fired up. Our game didn't have much of that pre season friendly feel about it. No surprise they've hit the ground running. Think our lads will have benefited from the game.