Just In Dundee 1 Jags 1

brodieboy

Strong first half. Should have been 2 up. Ref terrible.

Second half, on the back foot. Wighton looks some player. Referee ABYSMAL

Plus from today, we put in a solid performance after they missed penalty, with just ten men.

Downside. Our squad is exposed as paper thin, two games into the season.

From the stand...Gary Harkins is FINISHED

Edited by brodieboy

Tidied up a wee bit on my laptop as my phone doesn't seem to post in paragraphs!

We were excellent for the first 20 mins then after the goal we fell out the game completely. We didn't have much upfront at all with just Stevenson, don't think he had a shot at goal. I think Dools would have came on at some point if we hadn't had to bring Gal on.

The goal came from a cracking 25 yard strike from Fraser, similar to the goal at Tynecastle.

For all Dundee's pressure in the first half Macdonald and Tankuluc didn't offer much, they brought on a young 17 year old guy who looked a good player and he caused us a few problems.

For their goal I thought Keenan should have cleared the ball down in the left back area but he let it bounce and Harkins won the ball then they scored shortly after.

I didn't see what happened for their penalty as the ball went away to the back post and out of pl;ay, initially thought it was our foul then the ref points to the spot. Already feeling like greetin I look up and see Fox talking to the ref then get a red.I was waiting on Harkins burying it then Super Gallacher saves us again.

For the next 35 mins we were under the cosh although we defended very well, I thought O Donnell was probably the pick of the bunch.

Very pleased with a point as the ref gave us nothing all day, we ended up with 3 yellows and a red and giving away a pen, Harkins dived at least twice yet he still gave the free kick. He probably had them on his coupon!

I see Archie is looking at appealing Fox's red, I didn't really see what happened. anyways 4/6 is good and roll on Accies and hopefully a few signings midweek.

Edited by jags on tour
  • Like 1

we were excellent for the first 20 mins then after the goal we fell out the game completely. we didn't have much upfront at all with just Stevenson, don't think he had a shot at goal. I think Dools would have came on at some point if we hadn't had to bring Gal on. cracking 25 yard strike from Fraser, similar to the goal at Tynecastle. For all Dundee's pressure in the first half Macdonald and Tankului didnt offer much, they brought on a young 17 year old guy who looked a good player and caused us a few problems. for their goal I thought Keenan should have cleared the ball but he let it bounce and Harkins won the ball them they scored shortly after. didn't see much for their penalty as the ball went away to the back post and out, initially thought it was our foul then the ref points to the spot. already feeling like greetin I look up and see fox talking to the ref then get a red and was waiting on Harkins burying it. Super Gallacher then saves us again and we're under the cosh for 35 mins, we defended very well, thought O Donnell was probably the pick of the bunch. pleased with a point as the ref gave us nothing all day, we ended up with 3 yellows and a red and losing a pen, Harkins dived at least twice yet he still gave the free kick. he probably had them on his coupon. I see Archie is looking at appealing Fox's red, I didn't really see what happened. anyways 4/6 is good and roll on Accoes and hopefully a few signings midweek.

Really appreciate that - thanks.

Edited by Barney Rubble

we were excellent for the first 20 mins then after the goal we fell out the game completely. we didn't have much upfront at all with just Stevenson, don't think he had a shot at goal. I think Dools would have came on at some point if we hadn't had to bring Gal on. cracking 25 yard strike from Fraser, similar to the goal at Tynecastle. For all Dundee's pressure in the first half Macdonald and Tankului didnt offer much, they brought on a young 17 year old guy who looked a good player and caused us a few problems. for their goal I thought Keenan should have cleared the ball but he let it bounce and Harkins won the ball them they scored shortly after. didn't see much for their penalty as the ball went away to the back post and out, initially thought it was our foul then the ref points to the spot. already feeling like greetin I look up and see fox talking to the ref then get a red and was waiting on Harkins burying it. Super Gallacher then saves us again and we're under the cosh for 35 mins, we defended very well, thought O Donnell was probably the pick of the bunch. pleased with a point as the ref gave us nothing all day, we ended up with 3 yellows and a red and losing a pen, Harkins dived at least twice yet he still gave the free kick. he probably had them on his coupon. I see Archie is looking at appealing Fox's red, I didn't really see what happened. anyways 4/6 is good and roll on Accoes and hopefully a few signings midweek.

Cheers for that. Didn't make game and good to read a fans summary .

Edited by Z88

Started off looking like we would hammer them. McMillan coming off seemed to result in us losing momentum. At the end was happy with the point as was every other jags fan at the game going by the singing. For me a real plus today was the new signings. Stevo worked solidly and looked gubbed by the end. Seabourne had a great game and after seeing him 3 times I think Abs Osman is even better than big ozzy. He is tough but a wee bit more creative. This is going to be s good season.

• Like 1

Didn't turn up till half time and when we did we ended up in the Dundee end god what a ******* day ! Can't beleive Hamilton have 6 points from 2 games either I am abso ****** haha Derek madden if any 1 knows him was giving the ref abuse the full second half only to find out the ref was bnot infanct madden but some other baldy ******* lol fun day

Didn't turn up till half time and when we did we ended up in the Dundee end god what a ******* day ! Can't beleive Hamilton have 6 points from 2 games either I am abso ****** haha Derek madden if any 1 knows him was giving the ref abuse the full second half only to find out the ref was bnot infanct madden but some other baldy ******* lol fun day

Hamilton have played 3,I think

Perhaps getting overlooked but both teams can take credit for attempting to play decent football in a game that could have been completely ruined by the wind. Looked to me to be mostly swirling, which makes it even more difficult to play good football.

The other thing getting overlooked is that Dundee didn't have a single player booked. Either they were ultra cute and spread the fouls throughout the team or they were lucky. For instance McGowan should've had been on a yellow before the Fox incident. Perhaps he wouldn't have been sticking his oar in then if he'd already been booked?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Having had nearly 24 hours to reflect on the game my considered verdict is that under the circumstances, we should have been happy with a point. I can't disagree with much of what's said above. We should have put the game well beyond Dundee, before we entered hibernation, the how, why and wherefores of which would need a wiser man than I to explain. Personally, it looked to me that some players thought we had the game won already and took their foot of the gas pedal!

I can't comment on either the penalty incident or the sending off as from our position it was impossible to make any sense of the action. The Dundee equaliser was to be fair well taken, but there were at least 3/4 opportunities for our defence to clear the ball beforehand.

Was anythIng learned that we didn't know beforehand? I doubt that, I think most Jags supporters know that Stephenson isn't a centre forward and that if we are to push on this season, we need to acquire one, or persevere with Dools. It will be alarming for Archie, that we entered a 30/40 minute period of almost total ineffectualness, however that can be sorted out in training. On the plus side the boys did well to dig in and get a point and to be honest despite their one man advantage, not to mention the assistance of a Madden-esque referee Dundee hardly looked like winning. On the latter point I'll admit to some disappointment with Dundee, as they huffed and puffed, but quite frankly other than their equaliser did nothing to suggest they will be a threat this season. I'd humbly suggest that our next away match in the league, will present a sterner challenge.

Having had nearly 24 hours to reflect on the game my considered verdict is that under the circumstances, we should have been happy with a point. I can't disagree with much of what's said above. We should have put the game well beyond Dundee, before we entered hibernation, the how, why and wherefores of which would need a wiser man than I to explain. Personally, it looked to me that some players thought we had the game won already and took their foot of the gas pedal!

I can't comment on either the penalty incident or the sending off as from our position it was impossible to make any sense of the action. The Dundee equaliser was to be fair well taken, but there were at least 3/4 opportunities for our defence to clear the ball beforehand.

Was anythIng learned that we didn't know beforehand? I doubt that, I think most Jags supporters know that Stevenson isn't a centre forward and that if we are to push on this season, we need to acquire one, or persevere with Dools. It will be alarming for Archie, that we entered a 30/40 minute period of almost total ineffectualness, however that can be sorted out in training. On the plus side the boys did well to dig in and get a point and to be honest despite their one man advantage, not to mention the assistance of a Madden-esque referee Dundee hardly looked like winning. On the latter point I'll admit to some disappointment with Dundee, as they huffed and puffed, but quite frankly other than their equaliser did nothing to suggest they will be a threat this season. I'd humbly suggest that our next away match in the league, will present a sterner challenge.

Don't disagree and I think we do require a replacement for Lyle Taylor. Someone with the strength of Stevenson but with more pace.

However part of Archie's game plan yesterday would most likely have involved subbing maybe Lawless for Doolan and Ryan moving into his more accustomed role. That was scuppered by McMillan's injury and the ordering off. Archie's substitutions were thus all negative or neutral. Obvious replacements but all with defence in mind.

I don't think Stevenson starting a game in the striker position can in anyway be described as a poor selection He'll spend about 90% of his time with his back to the goal and few players can do that effectively. Ryan looks like he's more than capable in that position. So once again I'd argue that if we're to bring in another striker he'll have to have quality and not just there to make up the numbers.