Mcfadden

thornwoodjag

Just read Bbc website McFadden offered a deal by St Johnstone till January and if it works out for both parties it will be extended till the end of the season . The apathy around about the club just now is astounding taken into account we're only into our 2nd season in the SPFL, there appear to many reasons for this, broken promises by the chairman ( better quality of player) , increase in season ticket price, the TAG farce , the North stand malarkey even our lottery has come in for criticism. The signing of someone like McFadden would have elimated some of this, we know he probably isn't the player he was but players of Faddy's ability usually adapt their game as they get older. It wasn't a gamble to sign Faddy as I'm sure the spin off from hospitality and merchandising would have helped fund the transfer . Our esteemed BOD have in my opinion scored a massive own goal.

Care to explain.

Just read Bbc website McFadden offered a deal by St Johnstone till January and if it works out for both parties it will be extended till the end of the season . The apathy around about the club just now is astounding taken into account we're only into our 2nd season in the SPFL, there appear to many reasons for this, broken promises by the chairman ( better quality of player) , increase in season ticket price, the TAG farce , the North stand malarkey even our lottery has come in for criticism. The signing of someone like McFadden would have elimated some of this, we know he probably isn't the player he was but players of Faddy's ability usually adapt their game as they get older. It wasn't a gamble to sign Faddy as I'm sure the spin off from hospitality and merchandising would have helped fund the transfer . Our esteemed BOD have in my opinion scored a massive own goal.

Complete balls

Oh, I see. What have the Romans done for us? :)

OK apart from Collins & D & G can someone elaborate on the anytime?

Well you've got Murdo, Collins, D&G...We have only been a top flight club on 3 instances since the inception of the Premier Division/SPL/SPFL/whatever.

On this ocassion I would have to say that Archie/Paterson, whilst they show potential as a management team, clearly need alot fo time to nurture and grow as coaches/managers. But again, as with the last 3 times, I would be ionclined to say that the appiontment of those two in the first place was just a lackadaisical and cheap option for the BoD. We gave them the job on the basis that they won the 1st Division and while some might deem it only fair that they got their shot at managing the team in the top flight, it was McNamara's team and setup that won us that league. Since Archie has made the team his own, you can't argue that the team is now worse off than before. And it's not all his fault. Because it seems like the board are making it much harder than it already is for him. Like I said, the Faddy deal was on the table there. And the BoD just didnt seem to want to know about it. Just simply said "no" and Archie has to just say "ok, boss" and get on with it.

The major concern I have is not that we didn't sign him - I was 50/50 on the idea - but that we COULDN'T sign him. If the budget is already gone then that is worrying. Our squad is thin.

It doesn't necessarily mean our budget is gone, it far more likely means he was asking for more than we could risk.

Look at it this way - compared to us St Johnstone have plenty of money. They have a fairly solid, experienced team but have a forward who is injured and will be out for a few months, so they sign McFadden. They would very likely be fine without him but he gives them a bit of extra insurance. If it doesn't work out the money paid out is not going to set them back that much or stop them signing other players in the next window.

We can't afford to take that risk for the kind of money McFadden was no doubt asking for: not to mention he'd have made a judgement on which team was more likely to be working in the top half of the league.

I think I've said the above in different ways at least 3 times. No one has argued against what I say yet we still have this fantasy that McFadden a) would solve all our problems B) would be really keen to play for us and c) could easily have been afforded by us without damaging the prospects of strengthening elsewhere.

Yet we still get this fantasy that we ought to have signed McFadden. And it's all the manager's fault. Or it's all the board's fault. I get the feeling folk who arguing this are either living in a football fantasy world or just take any excuse to have a go at the management/board.

It would have been nice to have signed someone like McFadden but it would have been a risk and I wouldn't want that at the expense of blowing our budget. I'd much rather if we can find one sign a half-decent defender so we're not so dependent on Seabourne being fit all season. It's going to be difficult though to sign anyone because they'd need to be a free agent.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Well you've got Murdo, Collins, D&G...We have only been a top flight club on 3 instances since the inception of the Premier Division/SPL/SPFL/whatever.

On this ocassion I would have to say that Archie/Paterson, whilst they show potential as a management team, clearly need alot fo time to nurture and grow as coaches/managers. But again, as with the last 3 times, I would be ionclined to say that the appiontment of those two in the first place was just a lackadaisical and cheap option for the BoD. We gave them the job on the basis that they won the 1st Division and while some might deem it only fair that they got their shot at managing the team in the top flight, it was McNamara's team and setup that won us that league. Since Archie has made the team his own, you can't argue that the team is now worse off than before. And it's not all his fault. Because it seems like the board are making it much harder than it already is for him. Like I said, the Faddy deal was on the table there. And the BoD just didnt seem to want to know about it. Just simply said "no" and Archie has to just say "ok, boss" and get on with it.

Are you just making stuff up? Because if you're not, prove it.

It doesn't necessarily mean our budget is gone, it far more likely means he was asking for more than we could risk.

Look at it this way - compared to us St Johnstone have plenty of money. They have a fairly solid, experienced team but have a forward who is injured and will be out for a few months, so they sign McFadden. They would very likely be fine without him but he gives them a bit of extra insurance. If it doesn't work out the money paid out is not going to set them back that much or stop them signing other players in the next window.

We can't afford to take that risk for the kind of money McFadden was no doubt asking for: not to mention he'd have made a judgement on which team was more likely to be working in the top half of the league.

I think I've said the above in different ways at least 3 times. No one has argued against what I say yet we still have this fantasy that McFadden a) would solve all our problems B) would be really keen to play for us and c) could easily have been afforded by us without damaging the prospects of strengthening elsewhere.

Yet we still get this fantasy that we ought to have signed McFadden. And it's all the manager's fault. Or it's all the board's fault. I get the feeling folk who arguing this are either living in a football fantasy world or just take any excuse to have a go at the management/board.

It would have been nice to have signed someone like McFadden but it would have been a risk and I wouldn't want that at the expense of blowing our budget. I'd much rather if we can find one sign a half-decent defender so we're not so dependent on Seabourne being fit all season. It's going to be difficult though to sign anyone because they'd need to be a free agent.

Don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying , every signing is a gamble in some way , look at Piccolo , Baird , Kerr , Forbes who were probably paid off part of or the remainder of their contracts as they couldn't cut it at that level, McFadden has played at a much higher level than PTFC , it was less than a year that he tore us apart at Firhill in the 5-1 defeat , the only slight gamble was his fitness not his ability , if there was a chance we could have signed him we should have went for it .

Don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying , every signing is a gamble in some way , look at Piccolo , Baird , Kerr , Forbes who were probably paid off part of or the remainder of their contracts as they couldn't cut it at that level, McFadden has played at a much higher level than PTFC , it was less than a year that he tore us apart at Firhill in the 5-1 defeat , the only slight gamble was his fitness not his ability , if there was a chance we could have signed him we should have went for it .

No need to sign Faddy JLS, not when you have Stevo :thumbsup:

Edited by AndyMac

The major concern I have is not that we didn't sign him - I was 50/50 on the idea - but that we COULDN'T sign him. If the budget is already gone then that is worrying. Our squad is thin.

Says in the METRO this morning Archie was trying to put a deal together for McFadden . That doesn't sound good, we've either completley blown our budget ,and the squad is still thread bear or the BoD wouldn't back him.

Says in the METRO this morning Archie was trying to put a deal together for McFadden . That doesn't sound good, we've either completley blown our budget ,and the squad is still thread bear or the BoD wouldn't back him.

Having not read the article, i wouldn't say it was Archie specifically who was "putting the deal together".

He will have gone to the board and said... i've watched him over X amount of weeks, i want to add him to the squad.

Its then down to which ever directors are responsible for that. The worrying part is that we were "putting a deal together".

and therefore opens the questions...

How long ago did Archie go to the Board and tell them he wanted McFadden?

When did the Board say, yes there are funds available?

When did we contact his agent?

How long does it take to "put a deal together" at Firhill?

• Members

Or maybe, the news that Higgy could be out for a while put us in a similar position to St.J with McLean and Archie's thought perhaps McFadden could come in in that position till Christmas or a 3 month deal? Who knows. It's all just guess work.

I tend to take all Club business I read on here with a pinch of salt. The amount of stuff you hear about who's signing, who's getting released, will never play again, resentment in the dressing room, etc, etc. Only about 5% ever comes to some sort of fruition. I'm sure the players come on to some of these sites and start some of the ridiculous rumours as a wind up to team mates, the fans and so forth. (And in case you never realised, that's another unsubstantiated fact!!!)

What exactly am I making up? The manager came out and said "we have no money to sign James McFadden"....was that his decision? or was that decision made for him? What do you think?

You said a deal was on the table. Are you saying Archie made a deal without asking the board and the board pulled the rug from under by saying no you're not getting the money after all? Or maybe we had a limit and when the demands went over that limit we pulled out - in other words no deal was on the table?

Or maybe, the news that Higgy could be out for a while put us in a similar position to St.J with McLean and Archie's thought perhaps McFadden could come in in that position till Christmas or a 3 month deal? Who knows. It's all just guess work.

I tend to take all Club business I read on here with a pinch of salt. The amount of stuff you hear about who's signing, who's getting released, will never play again, resentment in the dressing room, etc, etc. Only about 5% ever comes to some sort of fruition. I'm sure the players come on to some of these sites and start some of the ridiculous rumours as a wind up to team mates, the fans and so forth. (And in case you never realised, that's another unsubstantiated fact!!!)

It's a relief to read someone talking sense. I've seen stories in the papers in the past that seem to have been made up from what they read in fans' forums. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread contributed to some of the paper talk connecting us with McFadden.

I'm sure the players come on to some of these sites and start some of the ridiculous rumours as a wind up to team mates, the fans and so forth.

Strong rumours doing the rounds that The Cup is in real life Bryn Halliwell, Jim Hamilton masquerades as The Legend Blows and kni's alter ego is none other that Jean-Yves Anis. I tend tho' to take with a pinch of salt all talk about Billy Dodds signing in on here under the moniker Gibberish.

Not doubting that it's true but t's very easy to say something like that in hindsight. I'm not terribly disappointed at missing out on McFadden - apart from the point I mentioned earlier about being slightly annoyed that we've got him fit for another club - but should Higginbotham be out for any prolonged period of time, we're going to be extremely short of creative options. Stevenson needs to start pulling his weight quickly.

You said a deal was on the table. Are you saying Archie made a deal without asking the board and the board pulled the rug from under by saying no you're not getting the money after all? Or maybe we had a limit and when the demands went over that limit we pulled out - in other words no deal was on the table?

Its a figure of speech. I didnt say A deal was on the table, i said THE deal was on the table. Both sides had expressed an interest. We wanted McFadden, McFadden would have played for us. He trained with us for 2months. If you refer to several articles in the news this morning and posts above on here then you would see that what it seems is we didnt have the resource to offer McFadden ANYTHING. That's the Board's fault 100%. As the turnaround from him going to St J was less than a week then this would sugegst the BoD didn't entertain the idea that much. Seems like a case of Archie simply being told no way, or even worse not even asking because he knew it would be a No. Possibly trying to speak to the BoD through the medium of news interviews.

Thistle obviously didn't have the money for him or were not willing to take the risk on a player who has had injury problems.

St Johnstone are taking a gamble and it may or may not pay off.

I can imagine what this forum would be like if he had signed and then broke down with his injury or was nothing like the player he was.

If he was a stand out at training and looking anything like the player he was i think Thistle and other clubs would have been trying to sign him up weeks ago.

Good luck to him but folk here need to get over it and move on.

• Like 2

Because if he had ended up on the payroll at Firhill, and had in any way been considered not to be pulling his weight, certain muppets on this forum would be absolutely F**KING RAGING and presenting it as yet another reason for sacking the manager.

I can imagine what this forum would be like if he had signed and then broke down with his injury or was nothing like the player he was.

HEY! Stop stealing my opinions!

Aparently he is on £5k or £6k a week at St J, not sure if it's a pay per play, we couldn't afford that and would be mental to spend that on a short term deal with no resale value

• Like 1