Quarter Final

ThickAsThieves

No, I'm not a bean counter by nature, prefer watching the game. I have though, over time come to the conclusion, that Archie is not a very good manager, sorry that I have not got any statistics to back it up yet, will relegation do?

Yes it will and since he hasn't got us relegated and we aren't currently languishing in the relegation or play-off spots then you still have no statistics to back it up.

Yes it will and since he hasn't got us relegated and we aren't currently languishing in the relegation or play-off spots then you still have no statistics to back it up.

That's true Scotty MaGoo, at the moment on the surface it all looks ok statistically.

I thought last season we played very good football and were very unlucky in many games, this season I think we have been pretty poor and lucky to get results out of games.

You and DP are right if you judge matters soley on statistics. :)

I thought last season we played very good football and were very unlucky in many games.

How is that any different from this season? I don't think comparing the first quarter of last season with the first quarter of this season suggests any massive leaps forward, but I don't identify any major steps back, either.

No, I'm not a bean counter by nature, prefer watching the game. I have though, over time come to the conclusion, that Archie is not a very good manager, sorry that I have not got any statistics to back it up yet, will relegation do?

Wasn't aware that we had been relegated under Archie.

A good, sensible, balanced post. My main concern is that the subtle changes won't be made.

You would imagine Higginbotham and Fraser will come straight back into the team, most likely at the expense of Craigen and Lawless/Elliot. If fit enough, Welsh will get an opportunity to replace Bannigan so it's up to him to keep him out the team as I don't envision Osman dropping out, barring injury.

Wouldn't like to see Lawless dropped after his recent performances. He's almost back to his best after his gap year.....

Agree he has had a good start to the season but he struggled away to Dundee Utd & also last night. Against St. J he had enough of the ball but didn't turn & run with the ball as he had been in the opening games of the season. Needs to get back to that form or he'll become a bench player once again as he's too often a passenger due to his lack of pace/strength. Hopefully he puts his last 3 matches behind him & gets back to form on Saturday.

Still feeling deflated after last night poor poor performance in many ways even if we were down to 10 men. Scott Fox has to really take a look at his positioning its shocking at times. We look more solid at the back with Paul Gallagher who organises the defence much better. I for one would would have started with Seabourne and Frans as Balatoni for me is really not up to the standard required and can or should be looked on as a squad player. I agree that we do have players coming back in Fraser, Higgy and Welsh but Craigen and Elliot dropping to the bench is not excatly great either as thats all the choices we have when we need to change.

One thing that gets me is that at times if you come on here and have a pop at Archie then you are not a real supporter but last night showed why he is struggling at times to set up a team with the right formation and positioning for set plays against us. Prime example was Stevie Lawless out on the left against the Celtic left back who was at least a foot and a half bigger any balls to the back post was meat and veg to the full back and dont get me started on Stevie Lawless in the wall at free kicks against that is just sheer stupidity. Ecclestone up front again a strange one as I know Doolan never had his best game against St Johnstone but in a game like last night he leads the line better and is more effective on one to one situations(plus at least he knows how to stay onside).

Like anyone else last night it was the capitulation that was the worst thing they chucked it and at times the general organisation was School boy at best and who is that down to. As a manager you must coach/train the players to set up just in case we go down to 10 men and what made it even worse was he had the whole of half time to organise the players and ensure that we remain tight for at least the first 10 mins into the second half. The only thing that was tight in first 10 mins of the second half was Scott Foxs rectum at the thought of a cricket score.

I agree that the game would have been tighter if Banjo could engage brain at times and not dive in i.e. dont let the Ref make the decision. Anyway rant over Archie is a legend however the jury is still out if he is the man who can take you on to the next level and by next level I mean consistency i.e. winning 2 league games in the top flight in a row and pushing on from there.

• Like 2

Wasn't aware that we had been relegated under Archie.

he didn't say that we have

How is that any different from this season? I don't think comparing the first quarter of last season with the first quarter of this season suggests any massive leaps forward, but I don't identify any major steps back, either.

Think this is where we disagree with each other DP. I believe we were a much better team in the first quarter of last season than the same period this season.

• Like 1

Think this is where we disagree with each other DP. I believe we were a much better team in the first quarter of last season than the same period this season.

I would have to agree. The football we played at the start of last season was very good, and we were very unlucky not to take more points away from those matches. I also thing we had a far stronger team at the start of last season.

The only redeeming feature about last night from a personal perspective was that I left my specs at home and coupled with the crappy view wasn't really able to see most of the second half too clearly, fortunately!

As for the action or lack of it on the pitch, it was disappointing to see a side that had competed fairly well up to Banzo's dismissal completely and embarrassingly surrender and crumble as we appeared to do last night. The bottom line is we got well humped by a far superior team and got what we deserved absolutely nothing,

Unfortunately, it's happened before and in all probability will happen again, so we've just got to put it behind us, learn our lesson and move on.

Edited by stillresigned

A lot of revisionism going on here. I seem to recall a large majority agreeing (after the County match, may I add, once the mass hysteria of not signing every player that our rivals had died down) that our squad this season was possibly the strongest in recent memory, albeit slightly light in defence which has now been rectified with Frans' arrival - now folk are suggesting our squad of the opening quarter last season, a squad that required significant surgery in January and was roundly considered inadequate in a number of areas, is better than the current one. As much as we played some decent stuff in the first quarter last year and were unfortunate not to accumulate more points, the exact same could be said of this season - Dundee, Hamilton, St Mirren and United were all games that we should really have taken more than we did.

• Like 3

I was at the game last night and have only just had the chance to post. I'm fairly philosophical about what I expect as a Thistle supporter. I've been a Jags fan all my life. I don't expect us to win the league or even necessary win a cup. But I do expect anyone who plays/manages Thistle to be good enough to take us forward. Just like any other supporter. I think there has been a lot of fair comments and observations made in this thread regarding the teams performance and how it could be improved. (It would nice if this 'disloyalty' tag was not attached (by some) to everyone who criticises Archie, or the players).

Anyway, I stayed for the full game last night because I am a loyal Thistle supporter and from what I saw there is clearly some improvements that could be made that will improve us a team.

Good Points

1. Seaborne looks a cracking signing and SOD looks back to being hungry.

2. We competed well for 40 mins and played some good football.

Bad Points

1. Foxy has to be benched. I was hoping for some improvement in his vocals, organising and encouraging the back four. But I've accepted he won't change. He remains far too quiet, almost defeatist. He needs to grow a set and get annoyed, not only with himself, but with his team mates when they need instruction. He doesn't command his area and his positional sense is woeful at times. Did anyone see him dancing 'side to side' at the 2nd free kick? Embarrasing. Gallagher is far more reliable and experienced and needs urgently to be our 1st choice keeper.

2. Lawless needs to stop getting subbed. He is having a good season and is more likely to make an opportunity during the 90 mins than Craigen who sees out the full game.

3. Thistle fans leaving early, even when we were getting pumped. Disappointing to see. The more fans there, the more vocal we are and the more we can get behind the team. Can't get behind them if we are standing on London Road.

4. Banzo. My favourite player but cost the team dearly last night. Doesn't matter if it's a definite red, it was rash challenge and it was unnecessary. Needs to keep a cooler head at times.

5. Tactics. We are struggling to score goals this season not by misfortune, but because Archie insists on this one up front formation. we can't rely on a Higgy wonder goal or a Banzo/SOD run to get our goals. Don't get me wrong, I thought one up front last night was correct, but particularly at home we need to be more adventurous. St Johnstone were there for the taking last week and I think we would have scored with more support for Doolan.

Anyway, just my opinion! C'mon the jags.

• Like 2

Look at Archie's record against Celtic: a 1-2 loss at home, a 1-0 loss away, a 1-5 loss at home and a 6-0 away loss. The latter two results can be seen as aberrations

The thing about stats DP is that you have to include all of them, not just the ones that suit you. So in our 4 games with Celtic we have lost them all, scored 2 goals and conceded 14.

As said I don't really bother with stats, just not my cup of tea, but when you look at these I'm not sure what point your trying to make? :unsure: