Alba Extended Highlights. Fox.

a f kincaid

A dire first half. Marginally less dire in the second but a welcome 3 points. Anyone else think it might be useful for BBC ALBA to buy at least one effects microphone? I know they had a game last season where they had to delay transmission in order to edit out foul language but it really makes for poor viewing. Completely devoid of any atmosphere. Made the game seem 10 times worse and didn't do the JAGS fans justice. It must have been worse for any neutral watching.

I can't remember when I last saw a goalkeeper punished under the 6 seconds rule but I noticed Fox holding on to the ball for 13/14 seconds - twice! Says a lot about officials I suppose. Perhaps there an unwritten law that says the law should never be applied! Just think holding on to the ball for more than double the permitted length of time is asking for trouble sooner or later.

On the subject of Fox he was getting a load of stick in the first half for holding the ball and punting. For those not there we were behind his goal in the first half. Many, myself included, thought more regular throw outs to SOD in particular would be more profitable. What we don't know is whether Scott was acting under instruction. Quite likely as Fox rolling the ball out to a full back or a centreback gone wide was routine with Fox in the past. His goalie coach after all prefers the punt.

Whatever fans getting on his back is daft. Understandable maybe but still daft. We mostly all sense Fox is a "confidence" player so anything done to dent that confidence ain't too clever.

• Like 1

The 1st time he threw the ball to O'Donnell, which was in the 2nd half (after Seaborne pointed out O'Donnell was free, despite him being free for the whole match) we almost scored from an attack down the right. Playing the ball quick is the easiest way to break down defences, Fox this season has been slow as hell, even when we're losing/drawing & clearly looking for a winner.

A dire first half. Marginally less dire in the second but a welcome 3 points. Anyone else think it might be useful for BBC ALBA to buy at least one effects microphone? I know they had a game last season where they had to delay transmission in order to edit out foul language but it really makes for poor viewing. Completely devoid of any atmosphere. Made the game seem 10 times worse and didn't do the JAGS fans justice. It must have been worse for any neutral watching.

I can't remember when I last saw a goalkeeper punished under the 6 seconds rule but I noticed Fox holding on to the ball for 13/14 seconds - twice! Says a lot about officials I suppose. Perhaps there an unwritten law that says the law should never be applied! Just think holding on to the ball for more than double the permitted length of time is asking for trouble sooner or later.

Not possible

St Mirren played a high line first half to prevent us from playing out so even giving the ball to the fullbacks they would have been closed down quickly and would have to punt, also kept three up when we had a corner. They had to change the two players early second half as they were knackered. We pushed wider in the midfield second half which made the difference and created more space, it was obviously discussed a half time or we would have got stuffed..!

Crowd very harsh on Fox yesterday. Crowd shouting at him to throw it out to SOD but he did the right thing. We were under pressure at the time and holding on to the ball takes away some of momentum the opposition team has. He did make some good throws but also remember throwing the ball out in the conditions yesterday has risks.

He did make a bad error throwing it out to Osman later on but you have to wonder how much the crowd pressure played in this. Confidence is definitely an issue with him.

• Like 1

Why would Archie punt players like Fox and Craigen who are regular first-team starters this season, and doing fine? If Scully comes back as our No. 1, why does Fox need to be shown the door? Can't we also have a very good keeper in reserve? (Gallagher isn't going to go on forever.)

Oops; this was meant to go in the Contracts thread….

Edited by Jaggernaut

...Anyone else think it might be useful for BBC ALBA to buy at least one effects microphone?...

BBC ALBA is only the broadcaster, commissioning the programme - not the production company. That said, it was weird to watch the silence (included in the highlights - we all know why) neither started nor ended with the whistle.

The six second rule applies when the keeper is ready and the team is ready for him to release it. Fox could theoretically wait ten seconds (or more) for the team to get up the pitch into formation and a further six seconds after that.

Twinny, I can't find your interpretation in the the FIFA laws of the game website. It makes no mention of a team being ready to receive the ball from the keeper - only that he has 6 seconds to release it from his hands. In any case, whose judgement would it be that a team was "ready"?

Incidentally, I wasn't making a point about how long Fox takes to release the ball under normal circumstances - only the specific point about the time taken to release from his hands yesterday.

Scott Fox looked to me like a keeper completely devoid of confidence. I think Archie should leave him out for a while until he's buzzin' to get his place back.

How do you know that?

Sure he doesn't command the box but he never has, even when he got the Scotland shout. He shot stopping is as good as ever.

How do you know that?

Sure he doesn't command the box but he never has, even when he got the Scotland shout. He shot stopping is as good as ever.

I don't know. I just think it's how he looks. He seemed to me as if he wasn't sure what to do with the ball when he had it. Seemed to me not to be able to decide whether to roll it out to the fullbacks or punt it. Happy to be persuaded that he isn't suffering a loss of confidence.

I don't know. I just think it's how he looks. He seemed to me as if he wasn't sure what to do with the ball when he had it. Seemed to me not to be able to decide whether to roll it out to the fullbacks or punt it. Happy to be persuaded that he isn't suffering a loss of confidence.

I think Fox may struggle with confidence more than many other keepers in the league but I'm less sure he was jittery on Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if he was punting to instruction then told at half time he was overdoing it. He mixed his clearances up far more in the second half.

Besides dropping a keeper after a clean sheet might further dent his confidence.

Well if he was punting to instruction, someone should have told SOD. He was raging on more than one occasion not to get the ball off Foxy.

That's very true but in the second half things got a bit more varied. I do feel Fox has more than average confidence issues. Just not convinced the "not throwing to SOD" was an example of these issues.

Related to this, tho' clearly team tactics, I think there could be mileage in keeping SOD wider right when Fox is kicking unrestricted. SOD with his pace picking up a sliced kick out, deliberate or not, could cause a bit of damage. The way he broke out thru the centre when he scored against Motherwell could be replicated from a slightly wider position from a disguised kick out from Fox.