Up For The Cup? Thistle Vs Academical. Saturday 29 November.

jagfox

On the face of it a winnable tie against the high flying Accies. The game at NDP was probably one of the most entertaining matches so far this season. Although that could be due to its proximity to the St Mirren and Aberdeen games ;)

We should be able to convert and create a few more chances against Hamilton than the shot shy performance against the Dandys.

Interesting to see if Archibald will freshen the starting line-up?

As its the cup I have little confidence but if we can overcome our former tenants we could get a wee run to the quarter finals or beyond.

Pessimistic prediction: Thistle 0 Academical 3 :(

Edited by jagfox

Up for the cup? Normally I would say I f***ing love the Scottish Cup, but the draw was so uninspiring I can't say I'm so bothered about this game.

I've been desperate to bring my cardboard 2D replica of the Scottish Cup with me to a game for years but the Mrs is desperate to chuck it in the bin and I never manage to time trips to Scotland with the cup. Ah well. Well lose this and another year of it gathering dust awaits.

As it's the cup - and although we want to do well in it the league is the first priority - I wonder if he'll give some players a run out who haven't played for a while? I'm thinking Fraser, Higginbotham and Stevenson, so getting experienced players game time, not risking with fringe players. Maybe give Balatoni a run out - though you don't want to make too many changes and changes in the front line are less disruptive than changes at the back.

There are possibilities for the forward line - e.g. rest Doolan and maybe play Higginbotham as the lone striker or play Elliot there. With Elliot up top you could have an attacking midfield of Lawless, Stevenson and Higginbotham. That would mean though dropping Bannigan if we play Fraser. If Fraser, Stevenson and Higginbotham are all fully fit then difficult choices for the manager - though good difficulties. Real toughie is for us keyboard managers who have no idea who should play because we don't see them training.

Noticed this in the Herald today: http://www.heraldsco...ep-end.25968897

Not a bad wee article - though it could have been written any time this last years and just dragged off the shelf as they had a space to fill.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 2

I'd love Archie to use this as a clean slate for team selection. Think Stevenson deserves his chance in the centre of the mid three (only works if Bannigan pushes to left back and doubt will happen). Higgy and Fraser back in. If Eccleston is fit, I think he deserves a game (away to Celtic was a rotten shift to get given!). Hopefully keep Gallacher.

Gallacher

O'Donnel .. Frans .. Seaborne .. McMillan

Osman .. Bannigan

Stevenson .. Fraser .. Higginbotham

Eccleston

Confident that is our best 11 (excluding dools if he gets back on form) - that team could put 3 or 4 past Hamilton and be solid defensively. Looking forward to the cup action.

I'd love Archie to use this as a clean slate for team selection. Think Stevenson deserves his chance in the centre of the mid three (only works if Bannigan pushes to left back and doubt will happen). Higgy and Fraser back in. If Eccleston is fit, I think he deserves a game (away to Celtic was a rotten shift to get given!). Hopefully keep Gallacher.

Gallacher

O'Donnel .. Frans .. Seaborne .. McMillan

Osman .. Bannigan

Stevenson .. Fraser .. Higginbotham

Eccleston

Confident that is our best 11 (excluding dools if he gets back on form) - that team could put 3 or 4 past Hamilton and be solid defensively. Looking forward to the cup action.

I can't see Eccleston playing for us again. Unless Doolan and Stevenson both get injured, I think he'll be off in January.

........................Gallacher

O'Donnell.....Frans.....Seaborne.....McMillan

...................Osman.....Bannigan

...........................Fraser

Stevenson.............................Higginbotham

.........................Doolan

Subs:

Fox

Balatoni

Carroll

Craigen

McDaid

Lawless

Elliott

That is argulably one of the strongest teams we can put out, but it allows those who haven't played much recently to get game time under their belt in a match that we'd like to win, but is not as important as it would be that we do in comparison to a league match.

I can't see Eccleston playing for us again. Unless Doolan and Stevenson both get injured, I think he'll be off in January.

I was going to say something similar. I certainly can't see how the lad deserves to play.

I've not given much thought as to whether we prioritise this game ahead of the midweek game against Celtic or not. I reckon if the Wednesday night match was against one of our bottom table competitors Archie may have kept a player or two back for that one. I imagine it more likely Archie will play what he thinks is his strongest team against Accies. It would do morale a world of good for player and fan alike if we were still in the Cup come January.

As 1JL points out playing potentially our strongest side available still gives the opportunity for a few players to get a much needed run out. Not knowing for certain just how match fit Higgy and Fraser are means we're really speculating. Even tho' they clearly looked still a bit off the pace on Sunday you would normally think they'd be fit for action the best part of a week later'

Bit surprised at the Eccleston bashing - 'never playing again'??. Think in the brief times he has been on the pitch he has looked lively, strong and got himself a goal. But I guess he didn't manage to overcome Allan Moore's Morton in 2012.

Some people really need to start showing support to the future players of our club, I've always hated the likes of United fans who judge a player instantly and we seem to be the same unless they hit the ground running. It's a lot easier for a defensive mid or defender to come in and make a few hard tackles and suddenly becoming a fans favourite, than it is for attacking players to gel into the team.

Bit surprised at the Eccleston bashing - 'never playing again'??. Think in the brief times he has been on the pitch he has looked lively, strong and got himself a goal. But I guess he didn't manage to overcome Allan Moore's Morton in 2012.

Some people really need to start showing support to the future players of our club, I've always hated the likes of United fans who judge a player instantly and we seem to be the same unless they hit the ground running. It's a lot easier for a defensive mid or defender to come in and make a few hard tackles and suddenly becoming a fans favourite, than it is for attacking players to gel into the team.

It's just my opinion of what I think will happen, not what I think should happen. I would hardly call it 'bashing'.

No idea what the reference is to Morton, sorry.

With regards to judging players instantly, I agree. A player needs to be judged over a decent number of games. For example, I still think Ryan Stevenson can come good for us. Again though, that is just my opinion.

It's just my opinion of what I think will happen, not what I think should happen. I would hardly call it 'bashing'.

No idea what the reference is to Morton, sorry.

With regards to judging players instantly, I agree. A player needs to be judged over a decent number of games. For example, I still think Ryan Stevenson can come good for us. Again though, that is just my opinion.

Whilst I'd agree with cutting Ecclestone a bit more slack as he hasn't actually had much of a chance, I'm afraid that my verdict on Ryan Stevenson based on what I've seen is not positive.

Whilst I'd agree with cutting Ecclestone a bit more slack as he hasn't actually had much of a chance,

On face value you are quite correct. I'm not going to speculate on the reason why he hasn't had more match time but he didn't even make the bench on Sunday. Add to that he hasn't even had 45 mins in the Development League. Maybe he's had a knock but whatever if Archie is taking the Cup game more seriously than the League Cup one at Parkhead I can't see Eccleston starting.

Gallagher

O'Donnell - Frans - Seaborne - McMillan

Osman - Banzo

Lawless - Fraser - Elliot

Doolan

Difficult team selection for Archie. Carroll played his best game for us last week but given he will probably go back to Huddersfield McMillan may go back to left back.

Don’t think Higgy looked anywhere near 100% last week so think he will stay benched at the moment. Think Fraser will come in for Craigen.

Hamilton for me are vulnerable to players with pace so it’s key we get both SOD and Elliot running at them from the start.

I must admit that over the years the Scottish Cup has never really been my "cup of tea" (pun accidental but perhaps appropriate). Even from way back (first cup game I recall was v Dumbarton in January 1967) the main attraction always seemed to be the chance to play a team you don't often play. I suspect a draw like the one tomorrow is unfortunate (for both Hamilton and ourselves) as it perpetuates the tedium of playing the same teams time and time again (given Hamilton's start to the season I imagine we will play them 3 times in the league and once (please please not a draw!!) in the cup).

Be nice to win but then again.............................. :yawn::unknw:

the main attraction always seemed to be the chance to play a team you don't often play. I suspect a draw like the one tomorrow is unfortunate (for both Hamilton and ourselves) as it perpetuates the tedium of playing the same teams time and time again (given Hamilton's start to the season I imagine we will play them 3 times in the league and once (please please not a draw!!) in the cup).

I agree about the tedium angle. That's certainly reflected in the price reduction and I suspect tomorrow's attendance. The fault tho' doesn't lie with the Scottish Cup but entirely with the small league structure we have to endure. If we are unfortunate to get beat and very possibly even if we progress we'll go thru a whole season playing only 11 teams at Firhill. That's tedium.

• Like 2

I agree about the tedium angle. That's certainly reflected in the price reduction and I suspect tomorrow's attendance. The fault tho' doesn't lie with the Scottish Cup but entirely with the small league structure we have to endure. If we are unfortunate to get beat and very possibly even if we progress we'll go thru a whole season playing only 11 teams at Firhill. That's tedium.

You are absolutely right and I suspect my relative disinterest in the cup will probably date from league reconstruction in the 70s.

• Like 1

I must admit that over the years the Scottish Cup has never really been my "cup of tea" (pun accidental but perhaps appropriate). Even from way back (first cup game I recall was v Dumbarton in January 1967) the main attraction always seemed to be the chance to play a team you don't often play. I suspect a draw like the one tomorrow is unfortunate (for both Hamilton and ourselves) as it perpetuates the tedium of playing the same teams time and time again (given Hamilton's start to the season I imagine we will play them 3 times in the league and once (please please not a draw!!) in the cup).

Be nice to win but then again.............................. :yawn::unknw:

I'm getting a bit slow in the heid. I knew there was something about that game. Anything else you can remember from that day, JD? A certain result in England perchance? :)

Shouldn't laugh as the knock on effect led to us being poorly managed. Then again that probably hastened Davie McP getting the boss job.

• Like 1