Stephen O'donnell

DUFCFAN

It's really no surprise that SO'D wants to move on, what is quite a shock is how we allowed him to be out of contract in the summer.Yet to be fair it is obvious, that the past is another country when it comes to football. So there may have been little we could have done anyway, to be honest I'm not au fait with how footballl contracts works nowadays.

As it seems to be virtually laisezz faire viz. signings etc., I for one can't blaMe the player for trying to obtain the best deal. Nor and I know this may prove unpopular with some in that environment you can hardly paint MacNamara as some type of pantomime villain for looking after his own and United''s best interests.

• Like 1

I reckon if we get a 50k offer he will go this month

Blackpool saying they are ready to increase bid. Not sure whether SOD would go to Blackpool but I would be tempted to take 50 grand if they offered it. Archie saying there is no money to offer players coming out of contract any increases to their current wages which could prove a major stumbling block. If we got 50 grand it would allow us to hopefully bring at least one full back in, persevere with Elliot and Keenan at full back and maybe get some vital players signed up on increased wages.

I'm not sure we can afford to let him go without someone else lined up. If 50k is on the table, possible Archie may revise his opinion on Mark Wilson?

Still feels like a novelty that we can afford to knock back cash offers for any player. I like that. Tempered with the slight disappointment that we can't be offering any sort of increases in wages or contracts as we're still not established in this division. Baby steps, I suppose.

Will be a shame to see SOD leave, but as ever it can't be held against the boy. It's a short career and he should be trying to make the most of it.

Edited by Paulo
  • Like 1

With Mackay-Steven having signed his pre-contract with Celtic, I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen with SOD & DU before window closes. It'll depend on Celtic forking out the £250k that DU want. Then they'd get the money for Telfer fee & money for SOD transfer fee.

If GMS has signed a pre-contract with the Eastenders, then why would they fork out £250k now?

With 15 minutes remaining last season, we were in 7th position. At the end of the game we were 10th. The reported difference in prize money was £140,000.

I'd like to think the potential loss of prize money will be weighed up against a transfer fee for our most entertaining player this season and our only proven full back.

• Like 1

I've thought for a while that if a defender isn't getting much game time with Dundee Utd he probably isn't much use to us either. Besides replacing SOD for Wilson would either unbalance the team set up or as likely require us adopting a different formation. Similar situation if we played Seaborne at left back, something I can only see in a total emergency..

£30,000 might be lower than what he's worth but it's worrying sign that we need to reject anything but 'crazy money' simply because we cannot find another right back in the remaining 2 weeks of the transfer window.

It doesn't bode well if the out of contract guys all leave in the summer.

With 15 minutes remaining last season, we were in 7th position. At the end of the game we were 10th. The reported difference in prize money was £140,000.

I'd like to think the potential loss of prize money will be weighed up against a transfer fee for our most entertaining player this season and our only proven full back.

Same at top end if league so if Celtic deal at c£200k just now it's the difference between 3rd & 4th for DU.

Meanwhile we're in same situation with a player potentially who's running down his contract to join another team with signing on fee & wages in his mind come 1st June.

I agree £30k not much for him but...

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

Just about choked on my coffee reading MacNamara moaning about Sellick nicking GMS.

The words Pot kettle black spring to mind.

Didn't hear him moaning when they took 2 players from QP for absolutely zero, one of whom they've already made a substantial bundle on. Or when he took Paton and Erskine.

Horrible 2 faced little ****.

• Like 1

It's really no surprise that SO'D wants to move on, what is quite a shock is how we allowed him to be out of contract in the summer.Yet to be fair it is obvious, that the past is another country when it comes to football. So there may have been little we could have done anyway, to be honest I'm not au fait with how footballl contracts works nowadays. As it seems to be virtually laisezz faire viz. signings etc., I for one can't blaMe the player for trying to obtain the best deal. Nor and I know this may prove unpopular with some in that environment you can hardly paint MacNamara as some type of pantomime villain for looking after his own and United''s best interests.

We can't afford to offer players new deals until we have an idea how much money we'll have at the end of the season. Look at Archie's quotes in the Evening Times today.

"We are looking where we are going to be and what money we have got. It costs money to give people new, improved deals, and things are tight. Hopefully by the end of January I will be able to start sitting down and talking to players. It is something I want to get done. We know the situation we are in, so we can't just go and start handing out big deals. It is risk we take and we will probably lose one or two, there is no doubt about that. But, the grass isn't always greener. All we can do is offer them the best deal we can and try and sell the club to them and convince them that this is a good place to be."

Edited by soulful_jag
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Partick Thistle accept £125,000 Blackpool bid for Stephen O’Donnell! Better than the insult of £30K previously.

Just awaiting personel terms to be agreed.

Can only wish S O'D all the best as on the whole I think he's been a fantastic player for us. In all probability his critics will only realise this when he's no longer here!

Still it does show how financially desperate Scottish football has become.

Is it a guarantee that he'll go? Might fancy waiting til the summer and then going to United, Blackpool don't seem like the best horse to back at the moment.

This, he is in a far better position personally if he holds on until summer, suspect it depends what is on offer for him from Blackpool and what advice he takes from agent etc... also if he likes roller coasters.

If he goes, he will go with best wishes I'm sure, he's been a really good player for us, some great goals and darting runs up the park..if he can sort some of his positional play and consistently deliver dangerous balls into the box each time he gets forward, he has a chance of becoming a top player, clearly still young enough.

At least we got some good service out of SOD before he left (and who knows, may stay till end of the season). Could say same about ATS I suppose too. Part of first division title winning team, key player at times over last two years. If we can get that plus a fee of some sort for a good number of the young players we bring on I'll be delighted.

I hate it when a player starts looking good for us then they go before we get the best of them. At least Bannigan and Fraser are still on contract for a while yet.

Edited by Mr Bunny

This puts O'Donnells valuation not too far behind Celtic's valuation of Gary Mackay-Steven so happy with it. Good bit money and while I like him, he isn't essential and would be away come June anyway.

We need an update on McMillan to be honest, ridiculous it is still going on. Eiether he's staying or not.