V. St Johnstone 17Th Jan.

thebiglemon

You guys are all hilarious. Most of you only seem to be happy when we lose. Bonkers, the lot of you.

We get beat off St Johnstone today, so therefore the next game against Hamilton is "a game we shouldn't be losing or even drawing?"

Someone will have to draw me a diagram for how that works.

Is there anyone in this league it's okay to lose to? Because every time we do, it's

THE END OF THE F**KING WORLD

• Like 2

Wasn't there today so ain't gonna comment, but we have some real vital games coming up and we need to start getting some more points on the table. Big Conrad had been good but it's clear that Dan and Freddie are our best central defenders, so Archie needs to start playing them. We need to get the full back situation cleared once and for all. The board need to tell Archie if McMillan will be back or is being allowed to leave and finally we have to get a striker in. Still think we will be fine but if St Midden hit a run it will be easy to get sucked into a play off place....or maybe even worse, especially given the last 5 games of the season where most games are 6 pointers

• Like 1

You guys are all hilarious. Most of you only seem to be happy when we lose. Bonkers, the lot of you.

We get beat off St Johnstone today, so therefore the next game against Hamilton is "a game we shouldn't be losing or even drawing?"

Is there anyone in this league it's okay to lose to? Because every time we do, it's

This is a football forum to discuss football. Were you at the game? If you were, say your piece. If not, why not let the people who were talk about it?

I've not read anything that bad, you say all some people want is for us to lose so they can moan - well all you want is for people to say the slightest negative thing so you can have a go at them like your some sort of all-supporting-superior fan.

St Johnstone were dire, and have been everytime I've seen them so for anyone to be unhappy to lose is understandable.

Nice of you to comment Tricky/PGB.

What was your take on today's performance from your living room?

Do you not think it pretty telling that everyone who was at the game has posted the same assessment?

You were at Motherwell right?

As for Wednesday night, I don't think it's unfair to say that we shouldn't be losing against a team who have lost their management team (including him as a player) & soon to lose another player from a squad that's thinner than ours,

That is unless you think that play offs is still within reach for us?

Or maybe you don't think any of the support (even armchair fans like yourself today) deserve a bit more fight & effort than what was shown.

Meant to say before, SOD today looked as though he's already thinking of Tannidice. Hopefully a one off.

Need a new face or two to freshen things up at least.

Aye a manager and an assistant would be where I would freshen up first. absolutely dreadful today, sick of watching they performances every other game against a dross St Johnstone. 2-0 down and we take off Lawless(aye who was shite) but continue with Osman and Bannigan in holding midfield,the latter of whom was garbage. all they do is pass from side to side and do one twos with Seaborne.then the usual like-for-like subs come on and there is no change of formation to try and get back in the game.why not keep Doolan,Lawless,Stevo and Eccleston on the park at the same time? Higgy looked like he was hungover from last night and O Donnell looked like he was still pished from last night.

Aye a manager and an assistant would be where I would freshen up first. absolutely dreadful today, sick of watching they performances every other game against a dross St Johnstone. 2-0 down and we take off Lawless(aye who was shite) but continue with Osman and Bannigan in holding midfield,the latter of whom was garbage. all they do is pass from side to side and do one twos with Seaborne.then the usual like-for-like subs come on and there is no change of formation to try and get back in the game.why not keep Doolan,Lawless,Stevo and Eccleston on the park at the same time? Higgy looked like he was hungover from last night and O Donnell looked like he was still pished from last night.

We were absolutely pish today, not denying that and we are so predictable going forward it isn't funny, but we pretty clearly went 3 at the back with McDaid and Bannigan as wing backs when SOD went off so your formation point is nonsense- whether it actually made us better or not I'm not sure as we seemed equally abysmal across the whole second half but we did try and change it.

Doolan should have been the first player hooked, he was having one of those games where he looked like a wee boy playing against the older boys.

We were absolutely pish today, not denying that and we are so predictable going forward it isn't funny, but we pretty clearly went 3 at the back with McDaid and Bannigan as wing backs when SOD went off so your formation point is nonsense- whether it actually made us better or not I'm not sure as we seemed equally abysmal across the whole second half but we did try and change it.

Doolan should have been the first player hooked, he was having one of those games where he looked like a wee boy playing against the older boys.

change of formation to get back in the game I said , the way we play is like we've got 2 wingbacks anyways and it didn't make any difference, I mean putting 2 actual guys upfront that are paid to score goals when we are losing.

Back in from Perth having watched an easy St Johnstone win , played exactly into their hands trying to play through the middle against their experienced defenders. I thought when Higgy came on he would have been told to stay on the wing and stretch the game and get at their fullback , he comes on and plays through the middle ( baffling ! ) . Having watched that game IMO there were only 3 pass marks , Seabourne, Stevenson and maybe Osman . Don't share everyone's confidence about the next batch of games unless Archie/ Maxie have got some signings up their sleeve.

Can't persist with Doolan, I actually have more time for Elliot now, and if anyone remembers any of my posts - that says a lot. Eccleston needs his chance.

Also Balatoni is fine back up, but can't be played ahead of Frans - they are night and day apart in terms of ability. I still think our full team can do well in this league with a couple of tweaks. We hugely missed Fraser, he is now a key player for us. Bannigan and Osman are a bit too negative (not slagging off these two players) but Fraser always plays it forward and we need it.

Edited by read'n'yell

Can't persist with Doolan, I actually have more time for Elliot now, and if anyone remembers any of my posts - that says a lot. Eccleston needs his chance.

Also Balatoni is fine back up, but can't be played ahead of Frans - they are night and day apart in terms of ability. I still think our full team can do well in this league with a couple of tweaks. We hugely missed Fraser, he is now a key player for us. Bannigan and Osman are a bit too negative (not slagging off these two players) but Fraser always plays it forward and we need it.

Agree with all of that.Been saying since the start of the season we're missing an attacking central midfielder than can get his ar2e into the box.Dools has been poor this season but he's feeding off sh1te crosses and little support.

Agree with your point re Fraser , but it wouldn't matter who you put up front just now , there is absolutely no creativity in the team for our forwards even to miss chances. Doolan hasn't started many games this season , he didn't play well today as did a lot of other players but he proved last year he can score goals at this level . Ecclestone for all the teams he has played for has no goal scoring record whatsoever, don't think he's the answer.
  • Like 1

The guys that are on here after a defeat screaming that we should all rally around and support Archie are the same that have nothing vested in the team and only need to switch off their PC when things aren't going well to be done with it.

Some people actually spend a lot of time and money go to the games and deserve to let their feelings know. Lay off them.

We rely far too much on Higgi to create attacks and when he's not at 100% we are lost. We don't know how to open up teams that sit in.

Like last season with Higgi, we need someone to take hold of the games and boss them. Stevenson is trying so I hope Fraser coming back can help.

A signing or 3 before Wednesday would give everyone a lift.

There's 3 big games coming up for the players and management. Total no shows like today aren't acceptable.

• Like 2

nixy, were you at todays game?

i'm guessing you weren't going by this .....

"The loudest sound in the stadium at present are the shouts from the players on the pitch."

A but catty from the official commentary, no? It wasn't exactly a cauldron of noise at Firhill against Dundee United as I recall - in fact I distinctly remember hearing Gallacher yelling at his defence for most of the first half ...

if you had been at todays game, i very much doubt you would have made the following post .....

if you will permit me to comment nixy, i don't know if you include me in your list of posters who are "hilarious" and "bonkers", but just for clarity and you ..... i am happy when we win ..... or even when we draw, or even shock horror lose, if we have put in an honest, hardworking and "did our best" type of performance. it's a basic premise, and as a football supporter of any club, not an unreasonable expectation.

today was not one of these days. far from it.

it is true to say i am not happy when standards fall way short of these basic criteria and today was one such instance.

too much pretty passing triangles which carried no threat, two yard sideways flicks to players hemmed in with no outball, too may floaty flicks 3 yards in air over the top which were easily mopped up by saint j's defence all day, too few instances of anyone willing to have a go instead looking for the next pass, no one looking like they were trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck. and so on. and on. with exception of galls (not his fault for either goal), seaborne (didn't do anything wrong really) and mcdaid (who at least tried), there is, in my opinion, nothing of a positive nature anyone could have taken out of todays performance.

the fact we did not test mcmanus or sting his gloves until 32 seconds from the end of the game, should tell you all you need to know about todays performance and endeavour from those in red and yellow (i'm talking about those on the park, at least those in red and yellow behind the goals tried their best at various points to rouse the players into some sort of urgency, with their at times, excellent backing and effort).

i am no archie hater. i rate him. i want to see him succeed and be recognised by all as a excellent thistle manager.

i rate our players and wish to see them do well with us, and where those who wish to move on to bigger clubs down south for example, after doing well for us, i wish them well and thank them for their service and contributions to the club.

it pains me to criticise archie or the players, i get no pleasure from it. it is something i do rarely. i am usually looking for the positives and talking them up.

if my views on today and my basic expectations of thistle performances classifies me as bonkers in your presidential opinion, so be it.

on your second paragraph, i've certainly never said that. we have no right to expect to beat any club as a matter of fact. no matter what league they play in, or their league position. to win any game, it has to be earned, and usually through the basic criteria i have already mentioned.

on your third paragraph, is that because pictures are easier for you to understand (may be a cheeky comment admittedly, but if you had been at the game today, it is a response i could foresee you making quite easily in response to anyone who posted the content of your post if you had witnessed todays game "performance and entertainment").

on your final question / point, i refer you to my earlier comments.

kind regards

wee mad mental bonkers yoda

• Like 1

I know what you're saying but here's the thing:

Doolan has repeatedly been pushed down the pecking order last couple of seasons with Taylor & Stevenson being preferred to him up front but time & again the manager goes back to him.

For me, he's never let the team down & his workrate second to none but we all know strikers especially thrive on confidence but you can't help but understand why his confidence may be as low as it's been in the last couple of years.

That said, I think a few players in the team are lacking confidence at the moment.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy
  • Like 3

Haven't read many other posts but couldn't see a "just in" thread.

One of these games where we deserved no points and where St Johnstone supporters would've normally been happy (playing the way they did) with a point. Thought there was a lack of sustained pressure about our game tho' I wouldn't want that confused with effort.

Not exactly clutching at straws, at this moment of time I'd more than welcome stability re our performances and results, but I hope if/when we can call on that safety net we play a more interesting form of football than St J can offer. On the other hand I don't care about how they won the Cup, I'd take many seasons playing the way they do to attain that honour. However and there's other threads re poor attendances, I doubt we could risk sticking such a merely functional team on the park just to reach mid table acceptance levels. Sounds sour grapes I know but even after today's poor offering I'm glad we're not them.

I know what you're saying but here's the thing:

Doolan has repeatedly been pushed down the pecking order last couple of seasons with Taylor & Stevenson being preferred to him up front but time & again the manager goes back to him.

For me, he's never let the team down & his workrate second to none but we all know strikers especially thrive on confidence but you can't help but understand why his confidence may be as low as it's been in the last couple of years.

That said, I think a few players in the team are lacking confidence at the moment.

I don't disagree but I still think the only reason we go back to Dools is down to not having anyone else rather than because Doolan plays particularly well. Taylor provided so much more when he played last year - we didn't change as a team when he played but suddenly had a lot more chances. People say the service to Doolan is rubbish but I think it is also partly down to Doolan not being able to really make a stamp on the game. I think responsibility does have to be put on the striker to create things for themself and the team.

Doolan has been a great servant and I think lower premiership is his standard as a second/third choice, but at the moment the difference between us and the top 6 is we don't have a good striker.

Edited by read'n'yell

I don't disagree but I still think the only reason we go back to Dools is down to not having anyone else rather than because Doolan plays particularly well. Taylor provided so much more when he played last year - we didn't change as a team when he played but suddenly had a lot more chances. People say the service to Doolan is rubbish but I think it is also partly down to Doolan not being able to really make a stamp on the game. I think responsibility does have to be put on the striker to create things for themself and the team.

Doolan has been a great servant and I think lower premiership is his standard as a second/third choice, but at the moment the difference between us and the top 6 is we don't have a good striker.

Absolute nonsense , think back to last year Taylor came into the team and made a difference , by the time the season ended Taylor was on the bench and Dools was scoring goals and played an integral part in keeping us up.

There are very few forward players that can create things for themselves at our level , don't think we're ever going to afford an Aguero, Suarez , Ronaldo etc. ,

Players at our level like Adam Rooney, Billy Mackay etc thrive on created chances , at this moment there are virtually no chances getting created for our forwards , the recent Motherwell and St Johnstone games being the perfect examples.

• Like 2

Someone will have to explain to me how our previous record at this particular ground is in any way relevant to our current team, and how it can act as an excuse.

Poor performance here, worryingly similar to a lot of games this season.

I don't think any explanation is needed other than just looking at the facts. We don't like playing in Perth.

Can't deny it that wasn't a game to get excited about and one that clearly highlights the deficiencies in the individuals and team collectively.

Other than Dan and Stevenson none of the rest got anywhere near their level.

Having said that when you look at the first goal there was at least four opportunities to clear the ball to prevent the play developing and none of them had the sense or awareness of danger to kill the move before the ball ended up in the net.

St J are a god am awful team to watch and defend collectively and not the team you want to give a goal start after 4 mins as they don't mind nil nil score lines never mind 1-0.

Our creative players other than Stevenson just didn't show up, Doolan was out of touch but in his defence the service was poor and often balls into him where at a height that made him second favourite. Amazing the comments that he has been poor all season from the same guys that complained at length about him and Stevenson not starting together.

We had no Fraser, Elliott or Higgy from the start which clearly takes a lot of the creativity and threat out of the team. Higgy had one of his wayward un creative performances when he can do nothing right, Ecclestone is not up to this level and puts no pressure on the first team but we have seen this from the pool of loan signings we attract with few exceptions.

Bad day at the office against a really professional stuffy team nothing more nothing less that highlights we need the bulk of the first team on the park particularily in the last third to give us a chance to take something from the game.

I don't think any explanation is needed other than just looking at the facts. We don't like playing in Perth.

That's ok then.

Today's performance is acceptable because of that?

Maybe we should just tell the SPFL that next time we're due to play in Perth, just give St Johnstine the points & save out fans paying money to travel, for the car park & for the 'pleasure'.

Nonsense statement.

If the manager came out with such a statement you'd be accepting of it?

I took Lenziejag's comment as facetious. Tongue in cheek.

One of the more disappointing aspects of the game today was just how isolated Doolan was for most of the game. I'm not sure if that was down to Stevenson being forced a bit too deep but I feel most will agree the Doolan/Stevenson combination didn't hit it off today. Lawless playing down the left may have contributed to Doolan's isolation. Not really Stevie's fault but unless he's giving a right back the runaround he's much more effective playing inside or coming in from his right. And giving a player like Dave MacKay the runaround was always going to be unlikely.

Generalising I know but I thought today that individual performances weren't good but I've seen us like that before and good teamwork would normally get us off the hook. But it was teamwork that most let us down today.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I think the game would have been a lot different had it not been for that early goal, absolute murder, such a jammy deflection... Looked like it was going wide or Gallacher had it covered, but somehow snuck in. Felt like we were playing under pressure after that and as has been said the ball in the final third was often poor. I think we missed Fraser today.

Any idea why the hell they charge £5 for a car park? Pretty ridiculous.

It was a very unlucky deflection but it was poor defending. We had enough men back but we always wants to tippy-tappy the ball out from the back instead of launching it into row Z.

St Johnstone are a good team with average players. I can't remembering us getting close to them physically since we came up. They are more professional, more stronger, more determined and they each have a job which they stick to.

We were a complete rabble yesterday and it's not for the first time this season.

I think we are too good to go down but it doesn't work that way. Especially when there's no direction from the sidelines.

It was a very unlucky deflection but it was poor defending. We had enough men back but we always wants to tippy-tappy the ball out from the back instead of launching it into row Z.

I don't have a problem with team playing it out from the back but the ball has to be moved into midfield or into the full back areas sharper than what it is at times. We pass, pass, pass across the back 4 that the opposition are quite happy to let us do as we're playing in fron of them & letting them get organised.

St Johnstone are a good team with average players. I can't remembering us getting close to them physically since we came up. They are more professional, more stronger, more determined and they each have a job which they stick to.

They are well organised. They're not pretty but they are effective. That also know how to grind out results which we seem unable to do.

We were a complete rabble yesterday and it's not for the first time this season.

I think we are too good to go down but it doesn't work that way. Especially when there's no direction from the sidelines.

Agree on both.