Scott Fox

stuart_adam

Interesting he has an article in todays record stating he wants a new deal sooner than later, and has asked his agent to begin looking for deals elsewhere.

Shows that the club are in real trouble in terms of holding onto their players until they know if safe or not.

Personally I think Scott would be a big loss, although not starting every game and having the occasional flop, he was in the Scotland squad on merit just over a year ago.

I always think that bringing Fox into the team seems a strange move and can only think that Gallagher, as coach, has something to do with the decision. One thing he has over Gallagher is distribution. More likely to look for the short ball which allows us to retain possession and build.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's "as we were" for the start of next season. The one sticking point being Scully getting loaned out to a 2nd tier club. It looks increasingly likely Dunfermline won't get promoted otherwise I think he'd have remained at East End Pk. Ryan evidently has still work to do on his distribution but that apart he's supposed to be excellent.

If Gallacher remains as a coach he's unlikely to retire as a goalie so it is beneficial he's on our books as a player and not away playing elsewhere. With that in mind and I rate Scott anyway, I can't see us attract, afford or warrant a keeper supposedly rated higher than Fox.

We can't have a situation where Gallacher, Scully & Fox are all competing for the jersey. Resolving the Scully situation might be just as high on the agenda as securing league safety when it comes down to extending Scott's contract.

What is for certain is Fox is in absolutely no position to be issuing those sort of demands and the club should feel under no pressure at all to offer him a new deal. I think he (or perhaps the agent that he makes a point of mentioning) knows fine well that he's probably going to be out the door at the end of the season and this is an effort to make it seem like he is in control of the situation and to alert potential suitors.

Either way, he's been a good servant for Thistle, played a big role in our promotion and like everyone else, I was delighted when he earned an international call-up. But he's not without his flaws and had Gallacher been a couple of years younger, Fox wouldn't have had a sniff over the last 18 months. Folk at the club have had very high hopes for Scully for a number of years now and I imagine he'll be a strong candidate for the number one jersey next season.

• Like 2

Agree with Armand2 - he's served us quite well, but us losing Fox would not keep me awake at night. He's poor at the near post, and Galls has definitely stepped in when Fox has had a few mares over the past couple of seasons. I doubt we'd be worse off with Scully and Galls rather than Fox and Galls at the club to choose from.

What is for certain is Fox is in absolutely no position to be issuing those sort of demands and the club should feel under no pressure at all to offer him a new deal. I think he (or perhaps the agent that he makes a point of mentioning) knows fine well that he's probably going to be out the door at the end of the season and this is an effort to make it seem like he is in control of the situation and to alert potential suitors.

Either way, he's been a good servant for Thistle, played a big role in our promotion and like everyone else, I was delighted when he earned an international call-up. But he's not without his flaws and had Gallacher been a couple of years younger, Fox wouldn't have had a sniff over the last 18 months. Folk at the club have had very high hopes for Scully for a number of years now and I imagine he'll be a strong candidate for the number one jersey next season.

Agree but I always give goalies a bit more leeway. No matter how good they are if the other keeper is slightly better they may rarely/never get a chance to play. Outfield players in general even if they're not first picks usually get a few chances to show their worth on the pitch. I would be more concerned if a Jags keeper came out and said he was happy playing second fiddle to another goalie.

As I said previously a lot depends on Scully. I happen to think there's a strong possibility that he'll be loaned out to a 2nd tier club. Maybe not for the full season but till January at least.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

"I would be more concerned if a Jags keeper came out and said he was happy playing second fiddle to another goalie."

This is very positive. I was delighted when we secured Scott's services from Dundee and I am thrilled that he has desire and ambition to push for his place in the team and push for a contract where he must be convinced he secure the top slot. It is tougher for goalies as m'lady says with only vacancy between the sticks.

Think we could do better than Fox anyway, think almost everyone prefers Gallagher - who isn't exactly in his prime. Fox has fundamental problems with time keeping, distribution, cross catching and low shot stopping (probably due to his height). I like Fox but wouldn't be fussed if he left.

• Like 1

Think we could do better than Fox anyway, think almost everyone prefers Gallagher - who isn't exactly in his prime. Fox has fundamental problems with time keeping, distribution, cross catching and low shot stopping (probably due to his height). I like Fox but wouldn't be fussed if he left.

is he late for training alot? :)

In my opinion, and for those of us of a certain generation, Thistle goalies pale into relative insignificance since Rough (and John Arrol for that matter). Fox is probably just below or possibly on a par with Tuffey (who though he was a better keeper than he actually was) and Kenny Arthur (who was an inspiration during the dark days). For me Fox certainly isn't as good as, say, Craig Nelson and nowhere near Nicky Walker - although I personally rate Gallacher alongside both of them.

Having said that Fox might be a loss as i am not yet convinced about Scully. I assume Fox hasn't got a destination lined up nor is he looking for big bucks off of Thistle so he might just be playing an agent's game.

Jings I saw poor old McFedris ship 5 at Motherwell (not all his fault but by the end of the game he was shell-shocked) - and as a very young child it almost traumatised me as well - at least Fox hasn't had that impact - yet!

In my opinion, and for those of us of a certain generation, Thistle goalies pale into relative insignificance since Rough (and John Arrol for that matter). Fox is probably just below or possibly on a par with Tuffey (who though he was a better keeper than he actually was) and Kenny Arthur (who was an inspiration during the dark days). For me Fox certainly isn't as good as, say, Craig Nelson and nowhere near Nicky Walker - although I personally rate Gallacher alongside both of them.

Having said that Fox might be a loss as i am not yet convinced about Scully. I assume Fox hasn't got a destination lined up nor is he looking for big bucks off of Thistle so he might just be playing an agent's game.

Jings I saw poor old McFedris ship 5 at Motherwell (not all his fault but by the end of the game he was shell-shocked) - and as a very young child it almost traumatised me as well - at least Fox hasn't had that impact - yet!

If John Arrol hadn't broken his leg Roughie wouldn't have been the goalkeeper he improved to be. And we would have got into Premier Division at first season. Great goalie!