Out Of Contract Players

ThickAsThieves

Now that we are 99% safe, hopefully the manager will now be in a position to tie up some players for next season. Here's what I would do...

Keep

Lyle Taylor. I can imagine other teams will be interested but he seems to love the Jags. Could only see him tempted by Celtic, Rangers (if promoted) or Aberdeen. Surely won't have another crack at England. I'm confident we'll sign him.

Kallum Higginbotham. Not had his best season but he's shown there's a terrific player in there. Someone spoke confidently about him signing a pre-contract with Hearts so we'll see. I'm not that confident he'll sign.

Steven Lawless. Whether he will sign or not is open to debate after his little strop during the season. But he's a good player, one I'd like to keep.

Christie Elliott. How happy is he being a squad player? Great option to have but not always assured a start. Reckon he will sign though.

James Craigen. In a similar boat to Elliott in my opinion.

Abdul Osman. Player of the season for me - would love him to stay as he's so important to our midfield.

Stephen O'Donnell. Will leave though.

Callum Booth. Keep the continuity at left-back, he's done well and I think we'll keep him around.

Conrad Balatoni. Is he fishing for a move? Really impressed me lately.

Scott Fox. Good goalkeeper for this level. Maybe we should sign someone to compete with him, which leads me on to...

Undecided

Paul Gallacher. By all means keep him as goalkeeping coach if he's doing a good job - but should this be his final season as a player?

Chris Duggan. Not seen enough of him to judge. Would be good to see a striker come through our academy though. Maybe another loan spell for him?

David Wilson. Will he make the breakthrough? If he's deemed good enough, which I hope he is, then sign him. No point if he won't feature though.

Rid

Sean Welsh. Only way you can justify keeping him is on a pay-as-you-play deal. Sadly don't see this working out for him but hopefully he can bounce back somewhere.

Dale Keenan. From what I've seen, not good enough I'm afraid. Not so young now either.

Ben Richards-Everton. Purely because I want to see Lindsay stake a claim and Frans, Balatoni and Seaborne are probably better than him. Not really needed.

Not sure if I've missed any.

BRE situation may be dependant on whether Conrad signs another contract. If he does I think he will be freed, if not, he will probably be kept on. Another half season or season on loan for Liam, giving him game time every week would benefit both the club and the player

Keep everyone except:

Welsh - we've given him time and we don't have the budget, not a nice decision but needs to be done I think.

Elliott - no surprise when he had a run in the first team after new year we failed to pick up many points, then he gets injured for the last six weeks and we take 16 points in 8 games. He just isn't up to it.

I know it's unlikely (has he actually signed at PCA or was it just a rumour?) but I would be absolutely delighted if we could somehow sign up SOD again. Osman, Lawless and Balatoni should also be priorities I'd be happy to see Taylor sign up but he's also missed a lot of chances of late. He works hard and looks strong but I'm not sure if he's essential to our plans.

That's a joke yes? Christie came in and played an unaccustomed role in defence and was a more than capable right back. When SOD leaves he can fill in unless we can afford someone on better wages which is unlikely. He's strong, fast and does the simple things when playing there.

If higgy has signed a preseason for the jam tarts good luck to him, done little this season to deserve a new contract. Shame as brilliant when he can be ersed, pity he can't be ersed most of the time.

My priorities would be tying up Conrad and booth ASAP. We are nearly safe thanks to our defence since January, those two have been crucial in that I think. Hopefully hibs won't want a fee.

Unfortunately there is no way we can afford taylor if scunny want to keep him or want some dosh.

Edited by kennymac29

I know it's unlikely (has he actually signed at PCA or was it just a rumour?) but I would be absolutely delighted if we could somehow sign up SOD again. Osman, Lawless and Balatoni should also be priorities I'd be happy to see Taylor sign up but he's also missed a lot of chances of late. He works hard and looks strong but I'm not sure if he's essential to our plans.

Don't have a bad word to say about Dools, but imo Taylor is a far better centre forward. I would love him to sign on for a few years. Personally I would be keeping most of the squad. Sadly, unless Sean is willing to accept a pay as you play contract, I just can't see him being here next year. With his injury record, I just can't see any team taking a chance on him. Real pity as he is a good player

^^^^^^ (Post 6)

Taylor has an X Factor that goes beyond a clinical evaluation of his performances. He is a fans' player who delights in the acclaim of the supporters and pays it back in effort, determination and character. He challenges and winds up the opposition and their fans and he gets people interested in Partick Thistle and bestows on us a certain street cred. Those who were in Dingwall yesterday will be aware of how much of the singing, especially from our younger supporters, centred on him. Paradoxically this seems to enable our "quieter" players to shine all the more.

If his conversion rate was better, he would be away out of our league. But like McQuade, Charnley, Erskine, Higginbotham and many others all in their own slightly different ways, he is the sort of player who is quintessentially Partick Thistle and our great club thrives when we have great characters like him. After a period of wandering and trying various challenges he seems to be comfortable at Firhill and ready to settle down and give us his best. So if we can sign him without unduly straining the budget, I think that we should do so.

• Like 5

^^^^^^ (Post 6)

Taylor has an X Factor that goes beyond a clinical evaluation of his performances. He is a fans' player who delights in the acclaim of the supporters and pays it back in effort, determination and character. He challenges and winds up the opposition and their fans and he gets people interested in Partick Thistle and bestows on us a certain street cred. Those who were in Dingwall yesterday will be aware of how much of the singing, especially from our younger supporters, centred on him. Paradoxically this seems to enable our "quieter" players to shine all the more.

If his conversion rate was better, he would be away out of our league. But like McQuade, Charnley, Erskine, Higginbotham and many others all in their own slightly different ways, he is the sort of player who is quintessentially Partick Thistle and our great club thrives when we have great characters like him. After a period of wandering and trying various challenges he seems to be comfortable at Firhill and ready to settle down and give us his best. So if we can sign him without unduly straining the budget, I think that we should do so.

I think that is the first time I've ever seen the word 'paradoxically' used on this forum. Thank god for Wikipedia so I could check what it means. Agreed with all the above though, Taylor is the first to come to applaud the fans, even when he's been subbed he makes the effort to come over to clap us. Fans appreciate that. Despite his scoring rate not being great, he holds the ball up better than any centre forward I've seen at firhill.

• Like 3

Now that we are 99% safe, hopefully the manager will now be in a position to tie up some players for next season. Here's what I would do...

Keep

Lyle Taylor. I can imagine other teams will be interested but he seems to love the Jags. Could only see him tempted by Celtic, Rangers (if promoted) or Aberdeen. Surely won't have another crack at England. I'm confident we'll sign him.

Kallum Higginbotham. Not had his best season but he's shown there's a terrific player in there. Someone spoke confidently about him signing a pre-contract with Hearts so we'll see. I'm not that confident he'll sign.

Steven Lawless. Whether he will sign or not is open to debate after his little strop during the season. But he's a good player, one I'd like to keep.

Christie Elliott. How happy is he being a squad player? Great option to have but not always assured a start. Reckon he will sign though.

James Craigen. In a similar boat to Elliott in my opinion.

Abdul Osman. Player of the season for me - would love him to stay as he's so important to our midfield.

Stephen O'Donnell. Will leave though.

Callum Booth. Keep the continuity at left-back, he's done well and I think we'll keep him around.

Conrad Balatoni. Is he fishing for a move? Really impressed me lately.

Scott Fox. Good goalkeeper for this level. Maybe we should sign someone to compete with him, which leads me on to...

Undecided

Paul Gallacher. By all means keep him as goalkeeping coach if he's doing a good job - but should this be his final season as a player?

Chris Duggan. Not seen enough of him to judge. Would be good to see a striker come through our academy though. Maybe another loan spell for him?

David Wilson. Will he make the breakthrough? If he's deemed good enough, which I hope he is, then sign him. No point if he won't feature though.

Rid

Sean Welsh. Only way you can justify keeping him is on a pay-as-you-play deal. Sadly don't see this working out for him but hopefully he can bounce back somewhere.

Dale Keenan. From what I've seen, not good enough I'm afraid. Not so young now either.

Ben Richards-Everton. Purely because I want to see Lindsay stake a claim and Frans, Balatoni and Seaborne are probably better than him. Not really needed.

Not sure if I've missed any.

Agree with your keeps. Welsh also on a pay as you play contract basis along with coaching role.

Dont know if Liam Lindsay or Kevin Nisbet are out of contract but would keep if they are.

He is out of contract at the end of the season and Hibs have already told him that they won't be offering him a new one, so he is free to sign for us if Archie wants him.

Booth has fitted into the team smoothly and without fuss, and looks like a right good player. Hope we keep him for next season.

Elliott - no surprise when he had a run in the first team after new year we failed to pick up many points, then he gets injured for the last six weeks and we take 16 points in 8 games. He just isn't up to it.

here fishy fishy

I'd be happy to see Taylor sign up but he's also missed a lot of chances of late. He works hard and looks strong but I'm not sure if he's essential to our plans.

poor, needs better bait.

see ptd post for spock like answer to this nonsense,

Any chance we can get Erskine back home?

not for another year unfortunately.

I think that is the first time I've ever seen the word 'paradoxically' used on this forum. Thank god for Wikipedia so I could check what it means. Agreed with all the above though, Taylor is the first to come to applaud the fans, even when he's been subbed he makes the effort to come over to clap us. Fans appreciate that. Despite his scoring rate not being great, he holds the ball up better than any centre forward I've seen at firhill.

I think he shares that accolade with Trigger.

If we fail to meet Scunthorpe's valuation of Taylor once again by a fairly marginal amount, the blame can fairly and squarely be laid at the door of those who couldn't be arsed turning up for home games this season. in previous years I would be one who would be arguing for the Club to make an early popular signing to kick start season ticket sales. I can't in all honesty find fault if Beattie & Co are even less pro-active this closed season (slow on signings if you prefer) than last year.

Put another way altho' poorer visiting attendances will have been factored into this season's budget I doubt quite such poor home crowd gate money will have.

I think he shares that accolade with Trigger.

I thought Liam Buchannan was a revalation when he came to us in that department. Any ball to the channel and he was there and in control, prior to that it was mostly pure chance except when we were good in the 70's obviously.

Can't recall Roddy Grant's ability in holding up just remember he'd pop up with goals in the box but suspect he would have been good too

I thought Liam Buchannan was a revalation when he came to us in that department. Any ball to the channel and he was there and in control,

Seen him a couple of times recently and he's still doing it Alloa albeit at a much reduced pace. I guess his injuries with us badly affected his career. Never the fastest but nifty enough to cover a fair amount of ground. That all but went after his groin injury (ies?)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

poor, needs better bait.

see ptd post for spock like answer to this nonsense,

I like Taylor and am all for signing him in the summer, but saying he's not essential to our plans hardly constitutes fishing. It's not going to be easy to get him on a permanent deal (as last summer proved) but hopefully the experience of this season has influenced Lyle towards staying at Firhill this time round.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...