86 members have voted

1. 1. player of the year for 2015

• Stevenson
    • O'Donnell
    • Osman
    • Bannigan
    • Lawless
    • Balatoni

Not been on the forum much recently, so apologies if there is already a topic.

It's that time of the season again and I was wondering what people's thoughts are for our play of the year?

In my opinion there is only four candidates - Balatoni, Osman, Bannigan and Stevenson (though all starting players vs St Mirren have had great seasons overall).

(my thinking - I exclude O'Donnell as he had some sticky spells during the first half of the season as well as a few very poor games around Christmas so just misses out my short-list. Frans/ Seaborne both haven't played enough although if Frans keeps his present form into next season I think he will be a cert for poty given our defensive record whilst he plays. The two goalies have been good, but split the work (special mention for Fox who now deserves the number one after having it taken away). Higgy been good recently but inconsistent overall, as with Lawless. Neither Doolan nor Taylor have done enough individually to win it.)

Balatoni comes 4th for me as he had a tricky spell in the first half of the season which resulted in losing his place to Frans/Seaborne. Out of Banzo and Osman, I'd say Osman has been more consistent over the season so would edge it into second, though on his day Banzo is unplayable.

But for me, the player of the year should be Stevenson. After a tricky spell at the start where he got asked to play up front out of position, I think he has had the highest work rate of all our players. He covers every blade of grass and fights for the team. He does this with that bit of class and skill that has proven invaluable since he has been played behind the striker. If everyone gave the commitment of Stevenson (which they have the last 10 games I think) then we'd win far more than we'd lose. His improvement has been immense over the season and is now probably my first name on the team sheet.

Anyone other thoughts ? Anyone know when voting takes place ?

Edited by read'n'yell

Probably Osman for me, no-one has been good for the whole season but Osman's dip in form was at the same time as our worst run of the season, and his return to form as our best, I don't think that's a coincedence.

Doing a top 3 I'd have Lawless second and O'Donnell 3rd.

The fact that Stevo can get goals would seem to make him favorite

however I'll go for Abdul.

His work rate too is immense, but when he was given the Captain's armband

he seemed to relish the responsibility that comes with it and fights tooth and nail for the cause.

Just wish he'd have the courage to have a pop at goal when the operchancity arises.

• Like 1

I agree in a sense with the view that the whole team deserve it.

Balatoni, lawless, SOD, and osman are there or thereabouts as player of the year.

Stevenson just shades it for me though as Archie says first in at training and last to leave, a wealth of experienced who has helped pass his knowledge to younger players both James craigen and Declan McDaid have said in interviews how he had really helped them. Got some goals and also a few valuable assists. Great player

I would always go for players with a bit of flair so it's Stephen O'Donnell for me. His galloping runs down the right flank and his sometimes eccentric crosses have added to the entertainment value this season. Two very good goals against Ross & Motherwell at Firhill with goal of the season at Tannadice. He turned down the chance to move and has been excellent since.

Honourable mentions to Stevie Lawless who has been consistently good and to Stuart Bannigan who apart fom some needless challenges and the form slump which afflicted the entire midfield for a few weeks has contolled games with a maturity beyond his years.

Big Osman has done well as midfield anchor but was missing in action with the rest of the midfield when our form and probably not coincidentally the Firhill pitch were at their worst. A bit slow in moving the ball on at times and heads the ball rather than bringing it down so not a contender for PoY for me.

I'm afraid I haven't seen the attributes others have in Stevenson - he is the player I have groaned most in frustration at this season.

Osman closely followed by Lawless. You could also make a case for Bannigan or O'Donnell.

Honourable mentions to the players who have managed to turn their seasons around as well. Balatoni, Craigen, Fox and Stevenson who all struggled at the start of the season and had the fans on their back.

Very few failures in the team this season. Higginbotham has been a massive disappointment but other than that, I can't think many more negatives. The players and management deserve enormous credit given how grim things were looking only a couple of months ago. I was actually starting to question Archie after the Dens Park debacle, but I couldn't be more pleased for him that's he's completely turned it around.

If we keep progressing in the manner we have been, it won't be long before we're waving him off to England.

Osman, by some distance, has been our most important player this season. When Osman plays well, generally the whole team ticks, and we play well. Stevenson has come really good since he was moved into the midfield, Lawless has had a really impressive season too, and Bannigan and SOD have been utterly unplayable at times this season. Gary Fraser would probably be it if he'd kept going at the level he did in his first few games, when he was outstanding. But, IMO, a lot of this comes down to the work that Osman does in the midfield, breaking up opposition play, closing down, playing a simple pass, he is the most vital cog in everything PTFC. We really need to keep him next season.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Surprised anyone could go with Lawless given he had a couple months where he did very little. Of late he has been excellent, however got to think of the season as a whole. McDaid and Elliot managed to keep him out the team for a fair while! Likewise O'Donnell had a couple months where everyone was calling for him to be dropped. They've both turned it around since though.

I still think Stevo but thin line between him and Osman. Personally with Stevo going to be here next year I think he'd benefit more to receive it. Will push him even harder next season.

I've added a poll on request. Put the six players mentioned so far - apologies if anyone wants to give it to someone outwith the selection.

Surprised anyone could go with Lawless given he had a couple months where he did very little. Of late he has been excellent, however got to think of the season as a whole.

That's the only reason for me Abdul just shades it. Osman had a shorter period when he was off form.

Even so I'd disagree slightly with above as I feel there were occasions when Wee Stevie was out the side not because of lack of form but thru tactics/necessity. For instance times when the physicality of Elliott from a defensive point of view was favoured. Also Lawless is imo better when played less wide. Trying to fit him in once Stevenson moved deeper was I suppose difficult. Since we've gone on our good run Lawless has been absolutely pivotal to our success. He's shown far more flair than Higgy tho' both have worked hard tracking back. It's this added industry to Stevie's game that's been crucial. So over the piece I think Lawless is a most worthy contender.

Abdul tho' for me gets it for his consistency and of late, his leadership. Recently (last three games) we've been playing and winning with Higgy, Lawless, Stevo & Taylor. Thus a very attack minded line up. Yet we've lost one solitary goal. Tho' the defence has been superb I doubt, especially when you take into account two attack minded full backs, we could've been so successful without a midfielder in there to protect the last line. Osman has just been doing what he's been doing most of the season. Class act and I really hope he re-signs.

I've voted for Stuart Bannigan. I reckon his poor spell was overstated, and when he's good he's very good, and I still think that he's the most important player we have in terms of dictating how we play.

However I reckon Osman, SOD and Stevie Lawless would be very worthy winners. Ryan Stevenson as a maybe.

Surprised anyone could go with Lawless given he had a couple months where he did very little. Of late he has been excellent, however got to think of the season as a whole. McDaid and Elliot managed to keep him out the team for a fair while! Likewise O'Donnell had a couple months where everyone was calling for him to be dropped. They've both turned it around since though.

I still think Stevo but thin line between him and Osman. Personally with Stevo going to be here next year I think he'd benefit more to receive it. Will push him even harder next season.

I've added a poll on request. Put the six players mentioned so far - apologies if anyone wants to give it to someone outwith the selection.

A couple of months where he did very little? Did you not just vote for Ryan Stevenson?