Lawless Betting Charge? (Who's Your Money On...)

Aye, I realise this but we don't have details of how the bets were placed, accumulators or not and also the amounts being placed each time. I'm just saying I hope the club are being pro-active and approaching him about this just incase there might be a problem or even before it can become one...

Aye, I realise this but we don't have details of how the bets were placed, accumulators or not and also the amounts being placed each time. I'm just saying I hope the club are being pro-active and approaching him about this just incase there might be a problem or even before it can become one...

I would hope so as well.

Altho' as pointed out it's not a particularly hard level of betting to reach if you factor in accumulators etc it's also got to to be minded he was breaking well publicised rules. It's more than likely he was just being silly and thinking he wouldn't get caught but there's still a possibility he felt compelled to gamble, which is more serious.

I'd hate to think of just how many footballers in times gone by have gambled away small fortunes. Just need to watch Alloa fielding the likes of Chopra to see a recent example. I mind of one reasonably well known Scottish footballer who signed for Liverpool. His big move didn't work out partly because of his gambling. In truth not so much his gambling as such but more the fact he was leading other more impressionable kids on Liverpool's books astray. Sticking on bets for the younger ones that sort of thing.

Re Wee Stevie, hopefully that's the end of matters. Seems a reasonable outcome.

I've said it before on here but one of our players (NOT Lawless) has asked William Hill to ban him from betting - presumably because he was losing loadsamoney. It's rife in the game, Each club no doubt has at least 5 players actively betting every weekend. The problem for Lawless is that he got caught.

Like others I find that verdict surprisingly light, but hey I'm not going to complain. I just hope Stevie gets the requisite assistance and manages to get on with his life which is after all the really important thing here.

Perhaps the use of a relatively severe suspended sentence indicates the authorities know of many other cases, or more likely know many more cases are likely to come to light. A sort of we know everyone's at it but you've been caught. Don't do it again, son. That of course would be crediting the authorities with common sense so I'm well aware of a flaw to that argument.

Anyway I see from the Evening Times our players are no longer allowed to bet on blankets. http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick-thistle/blanket-betting-ban-reinforced-at-thistle-207695n.126844170