Done h*ns And Grim Tims

Jaggernaut

For some reason the "When and Why" thread is locked, so I'll start a new one.

Was never into either of the OF, but loved being a Thistle fan from the start. When I started supporting them as a nipper the goalie was George Niven. I don't know why it happened, but I resented the fact that my hero had come to us from "that place". It got steadily worse towards the end of the 60s when Scott Symon "stepped down" at Eyepox and became our manager. The big fat baldy Billy Ritchie arrived as our goalie, and I was furious. The we had some of the other mob coming in for a nice wee earner while they did sfa for our cause: a big lumbering John Divers, and a clearly finished and uninterested Stevie Chalmers (who I actually admired as a player).

I've never liked any ex h*ns or tims turning up at Firhill in any playing or managing capacity. Even the more recent ones have been pretty dire (Stephan Bonnes, Stevie Lennon.....), and I won't even mention the glut(tons) in the 80s!

The only one with anything like a pass mark is Billy Gibson, who never really shone. But for that goal at Peterhied he gets cu*t status.

CULT !!

Edited by Jaggernaut

Surely you must be glad we had Kenny Watson,Gerry Britton, Andy Murdoch, Nicky Walker. IMO thats 4 good players we had from OF they aint all duds although to be fair we have had quite a few fuds in our team

Spot on; thanks for pointing out the exceptions!

My dislike of the gruesome twosome is so strong that I'm not perfectly rationale when I think about them in any way. :thumbsup2:

For some reason the "When and Why" thread is locked, so I'll start a new one.

Was never into either of the OF, but loved being a Thistle fan from the start. When I started supporting them as a nipper the goalie was George Niven. I don't know why it happened, but I resented the fact that my hero had come to us from "that place". It got steadily worse towards the end of the 60s when Scott Symon "stepped down" at Eyepox and became our manager. The big fat baldy Billy Ritchie arrived as our goalie, and I was furious. The we had some of the other mob coming in for a nice wee earner while they did sfa for our cause: a big lumbering John Divers, and a clearly finished and uninterested Stevie Chalmers (who I actually admired as a player).

I've never liked any ex h*ns or tims turning up at Firhill in any playing or managing capacity. Even the more recent ones have been pretty dire (Stephan Bonnes, Stevie Lennon.....), and I won't even mention the glut(tons) in the 80s!

The only one with anything like a pass mark is Billy Gibson, who never really shone. But for that goal at Peterhied he gets cu*t status.

CULT !!

Clearly a big difference between the two types of players we've had from the ugly sisters. Firstly there's the Divers & Ritchie washed up type and then there's the young ones who've never or hardly ever played for a Celgers first team.

As for the latter lot we've not exactly been done proud of late with players we've signed or got on loan from the OF, probably going back to just after Gerry B first signed. Strangely tho' and I can't really think of a lot of examples but I'm sure there are, we've done not bad out of players who started life with one or other of the ugly sisters and arrived at Firhill later in their careers.

Alex O'hara was a terrific ex-H*n

McLaughlin (signed around same time as Andy Murdoch), left back. What a shot he had on him. Davie Elliott. Both quality players.

As for my most hated of them all..........no contest....treated us with such discontent...never actually pulled on the jersey.....just paraded round ground with scarf and fake smile....hate the man, even if he is best buddies with chic.

Alex O'hara was a terrific ex-H*n

it's always dangerous to generalise. I don't know why the originator of this topic had such a dislike of George Niven - he was an absolute stand-out for us in goal.... and there was the redoubtable kenny Watson (would we had him on saturday)... and I entirely agree about Alex O'Hara.

Alex O'Hara was pure class for me but I remember him taking pelters from the Shed (could it have been his background that flavoured the criticism?). Kenny Watson didn't seem to expose any raw nerves and always put in a full shift and half for Thistle every game when Rangers had decided he was done. I admired his professionalism, vision and immense talent.

it's always dangerous to generalise. I don't know why the originator of this topic had such a dislike of George Niven - he was an absolute stand-out for us in goal.... and there was the redoubtable kenny Watson (would we had him on saturday)... and I entirely agree about Alex O'Hara.

Actually, I stated that George Niven was (still is) a hero of mine, but I hated the thought of him having played for the h*ns before us.

However, for me O'Hara was a total dud.

and a clearly finished and uninterested Stevie Chalmers (who I actually admired as a player).

Jaggernaut, I think you're being a bit unfair to Chalmers. I thought his class shone through. Can you remember him starting games for us with his arm strapped to his chest ? I can't remember if it was broken/ dislocated. He'd clearly looked after himself physically and was not carrying a surplus pound. At the other end of the spectrum and about the same time, what about Dixie Deans, as wide as the Main Stand but sadly for a player who was a goal machine for Celtic was a complete burst.

Some people have a strange way of disliking the old firm.

For a player to have played for them, and then move on to another club is just the nature of our game, it's not in itself a reason to dislike them.

With that kind of reasoning Jackie Mac must be the most up to date hate figure, sure he's been about since his Celtic Park days, but he sat on STV last night and said "as a Celtic fan I never want to see that happening again" in reference to ST Mirren gubbing them only last season, oh really Jackie? and does that go for your current team possibly meeting them in a cup later this season? :thinking:

An annoying comment but he is a celtic fan and I know what he means by it, hardly a reason to dislike him for it.

I'd be potentially far more annoyed if I was a Rangers fan after hearing their new signing Weiss going on about how the lure of CL football brought him to Ibrox and making it perfectly clear he'd much rather have been part of Man Citys plans, but that's the nature of our game at the moment too and in reality i'd be more likely to hope he has a wonderous season trying to impress his 'real' boss.

The real reason to dislike players coming from the old firm, wether on loan or moving on in their careers, is because they are sh!t for PTFC, and that's got nothing to do with them being from the old firm, it's just because they are sh!t for PTFC, there could just as easily be a thread about players we've not liked that we got from A.N Other team, and it wouldn't be because of the team they came from, it would be because they were sh!t for PTFC

Some people have a strange way of disliking the old firm.

For a player to have played for them, and then move on to another club is just the nature of our game, it's not in itself a reason to dislike them.

With that kind of reasoning Jackie Mac must be the most up to date hate figure, sure he's been about since his Celtic Park days, but he sat on STV last night and said "as a Celtic fan I never want to see that happening again" in reference to ST Mirren gubbing them only last season, oh really Jackie? and does that go for your current team possibly meeting them in a cup later this season? :thinking:

An annoying comment but he is a celtic fan and I know what he means by it, hardly a reason to dislike him for it.

I'd be potentially far more annoyed if I was a Rangers fan after hearing their new signing Weiss going on about how the lure of CL football brought him to Ibrox and making it perfectly clear he'd much rather have been part of Man Citys plans, but that's the nature of our game at the moment too and in reality i'd be more likely to hope he has a wonderous season trying to impress his 'real' boss.

The real reason to dislike players coming from the old firm, wether on loan or moving on in their careers, is because they are sh!t for PTFC, and that's got nothing to do with them being from the old firm, it's just because they are sh!t for PTFC, there could just as easily be a thread about players we've not liked that we got from A.N Other team, and it wouldn't be because of the team they came from, it would be because they were sh!t for PTFC

That could possibly be quite a long thread