Stats Watch 2015-16

The Jukebox Rebel

A few mair for the collection...

09.01.1897 Rangers [h] L2-4 (Scottish Cup 1st Round)

✔ John Proudfoot (2-3, pen 2nd half)

22.04.1905 Rangers [a] W4-3 (Glasgow League - game 5)

✔ John Wilkie (4-2, pen 2nd half)

03.01.1921 Rangers [h] L0-2 (SFL - game 25)

✘ ? (saved)

I think the modern day average is one penalty award every nine games, so our Rangers record looks like it has fallen away after being quite consistent historically. As Dick alludes to, this is undoubtedly down to the ever expanding financial chasms in the Scottish game which culminated in the greed inspired nightmare that was the SP Hell.

Expanding on Camaillan’s point, I think it’s fair to say that if Rancid or Septic had went 58 competitive matches without a penalty award it’d be packing column inches and dominating panel discussions!

Top o' the mornin' tae ye WAT... first in the 5th Round hat... buzzin' for Monday evening's draw... F*CKIN' YAS!

:detective: 08.01.2016 St Mirren 1 Partick Thistle 2 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)

• Partick Thistle succesfully launch their 124th attempt to get their hands on the world's oldest fitba' trophy. Thistle who missed the first 7 tournaments (due to not being born / being a public park side) have featured in 123 of the 124 competitions since first appearing in season 1880-81, failing, just once, to emerge from the Scottish Qualifying Cup in 1895-96.
  • As things stand, when Thistle next win the Scottish Cup, they'll register the longest gap between trophy wins in the tournament's history.
  • Thistle, who made the Quarter-Finals in 11 consecutive decades from the 1880s to the 1980s, have yet to reach that stage in the 2010s.
  • Thistle reached at least the Quarter-Final stage six times in the 2000s - a club-record tally.
  • 8,426 watched Thistle's last Scottish Cup tie in Paisley back in '89 - nearly twice last night's (fine) turnout of 4,572. How times have changed.
  • Jags record their 5th consecutive nil-nil half-time scoreline; a first during Archie's tenure. Ian Mac's Jags were last beyond this point with a run of 6 in April-May 2010.
  • Thistle's first game in the 1921 Scottish Cup, also an away match, was also 0-0 at half-time. It was also the 5th consecutive nil-nil at half-time back then. As Campbell Hughes would exclaim excitedly: "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?" :o
  • Thistle's current away run now reads just 1 (cruel) defeat in the last 7 games.
  • Jags are 6 away games without defeat vs Saints, a run which started with John Lambie's last stand on New Years day 2005.
  • St Mirren Park still stands as one of 4 undefeated SPFL member territories for Partick Thistle in the "all-games" category; the others being Borough Briggs, Galabank and Shielfield Park.
  • Thistle maintain their 100% Scottish Cup Friday run; a 2 game winning streak which began with a 3-2 win vs. Clyde on the 23rd February 1968!

ongoing dreams & nightmares...

• 23 competitive games without defeat when we score the opening goal, 23rd Sep 2014 to date.
  • 32 consecutive competitive appearances for Callum Booth, 14th Mar 2015 to date. (Longest run since: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 56 games; 27th Oct 2012 to 18th Jan 2014. Club record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 59 competitive games without a penalty award, 19th Sep 2014 to date.
  • 77 competitive games without a goal from a penalty, 22nd Feb 2014 to date.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Interesting one regarding the crowd. You say times have changed. But I'd bet that our average gate is significantly up on the mid-late 80s,a time when we were regularly under 2000. The fact that it was unusual for us to play premier opposition and the new Lambie feel-good factor made that game pretty unique. Maybe the status of the Scottish Cup has fallen a bit, but I'm not sure.

I feel guilty presenting an argument. ☺

Not at all mon! All challenges welcome.

You should know that I sometimes chip in wee thoughts off the top of my heid, like that one for example, easy target practice. Haha. I think what I was getting at there is the Cup was a much bigger pull, Thistle fans were right up for the Scottish. I fear 10 years without a win post Love Street '89 killed the romance stone dead for many.

Here's a few eyebrow raisers from that late 80s early 90s period:

20.02.1988 Clydebank [a] D2-2 (Scottish Cup 4th Round) Att: 5,397

23.02.1988 Clydebank [h] W4-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round replay) Att: 5,564

28.01.1989 St Mirren [h] D0-0 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) Att: 9,128

31.01.1989 St Mirren [a] W3-1 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round replay) Att: 8,426

20.01.1990 Aberdeen [h] L2-6 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) Att: 12,125

26.01.1991 Falkirk [h] D0-0 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) Att: 9,552

30.01.1991 Falkirk [a] L3-4 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round replay) Att: 10,000

Not at all mon! All challenges welcome.

You should know that I sometimes chip in wee thoughts off the top of my heid, like that one for example, easy target practice. Haha. I think what I was getting at there is the Cup was a much bigger pull, Thistle fans were right up for the Scottish. I fear 10 years without a win post Love Street '89 killed the romance stone dead for many.

Here's a few eyebrow raisers from that late 80s early 90s period:

20.02.1988 Clydebank [a] D2-2 (Scottish Cup 4th Round) Att: 5,397

23.02.1988 Clydebank [h] W4-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round replay) Att: 5,564

28.01.1989 St Mirren [h] D0-0 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) Att: 9,128

31.01.1989 St Mirren [a] W3-1 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round replay) Att: 8,426

20.01.1990 Aberdeen [h] L2-6 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) Att: 12,125

26.01.1991 Falkirk [h] D0-0 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) Att: 9,552

30.01.1991 Falkirk [a] L3-4 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round replay) Att: 10,000

Clydebank game we knew the winner had a plump home tie to Celtic on their Centenary year

St Mirren, was less than 2 years since they won the cup

Aberdeen game, they were the 2nd in the league after coming runner up the season before, brought a massive support

Falkirk game, they won the league that season, and were top of the league then

May explain the big crowds

Clydebank game we knew the winner had a plump home tie to Celtic on their Centenary year

Aberdeen game, they were the 2nd in the league after coming runner up the season before, brought a massive support

The 2-2 match at Kilbowie was tremendous. Can still remember the goal celebrations.

• Like 1

Fair points, but i still reckon out fair weather massive hibernate far more often than they used to, and can no longer be pulled for early rounds of the Scottish.

Bet we'd still pull 25,000 easy for a Scottish Cup final though, maybe up to 30,000 with all the grannies, aunties and weans.

Unless of course Hibs beat us to that particular achievement.

As if. Queen's Park'll win it again before them. :P

Zatafact on the recycle:

Longest club gaps between Scottish Cup trophy wins

1929 to 1997 - Kilmarnock - 68 years, 1 months, 18 days

1906 to 1956 - Heart of Midlothian - 49 years, 11 months, 24 days

1913 to 1957 - Falkirk - 44 years, 0 months, 12 days

1956 to 1998 - Heart of Midlothian - 42 years, 0 months, 25 days

1952 to 1991 - Motherwell - 39 years, 0 months, 29 days

1926 to 1959 - St Mirren - 33 years, 0 months, 15 days

Another trophy win for any of the following clubs will shoot them to the Top of this table. If Killie can do it…

Dumbarton (1883)

Queen's Park (1893)

Hibernian (1902)

Dundee (1910)

Partick Thistle (1921)

Morton (1922)

East Fife (1938)

:detective: 16.01.2016 Partick Thistle 2 Dundee 4 (SPFL Premiership - game 21)

• Christie Elliott becomes the 28th player to be listed on a competitive games team sheet in 2015-16, and the 25th to make an appearance.
  • In competitive action, 12 consecutive penalty awards have now went to the opposition - it's a virtual certainty that this is unprecedented in Thistle's history.
  • Liam Lindsay registers his first-ever assist for the club.
  • Liam, to the best of our knowledge, claims the share of an unwanted club-record by being sent off twice in the League in the same season. To the best of our knowledge, Aaron Muirhead and Hugh Murray, with three orderings off each in 2012-13, hold the competitive games record for any given season.
  • In competitive action, Thistle are 6 games without a win versus Dundee, and have also failed to defeat the Dark blues on the last 6 attempts at Firhill.
  • Dundee are the first side to return 4 first half goals against Thistle since Clyde led Dick Campbell's Jags by 4 goals to nil in a First Division encounter at Firhill in March, 2007.
  • Thistle's run of 60 competitive games without a penalty award is the longest since the club scored it's first known penalty goal on 11th January 1896 in a 3-3 draw at Fir Park - more than 120 years ago.

ongoing sequences...

• 23 competitive games without defeat when we score the opening goal, 23rd Sep 2014 to date.
  • 33 consecutive competitive appearances for Callum Booth, 14th Mar 2015 to date. (Longest run since: Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 56 games; 27th Oct 2012 to 18th Jan 2014. Club record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 60 competitive games without a penalty award, 19th Sep 2014 to date. (Longest run since the perceived club-record: 106 games; 10th Oct 1891 to 14th Dec 1895. *)
  • 78 competitive games without a goal from a penalty, 22nd Feb 2014 to date. (Longest run since the perceived club-record: 114 games; 8th Aug 1891 to 14th Dec 1895. *)

* 8th Aug 1891 is the starting point for this sequence as it's the first competitive game where the new penalty kick law was applicable. It's worth bearing in mind that some match reports are scant in this era, and it's more likely than not that Thistle had penalty awards which were unreported.

"Liam, to the best of our knowledge, claims the share of an unwanted club-record by being sent off twice in the League in the same season. To the best of our knowledge, Aaron Muirhead and Hugh Murray, with three orderings off each in 2012-13, hold the competitive games record for any given season."

Where does Chico stand with regards to these stats?

"Liam, to the best of our knowledge, claims the share of an unwanted club-record by being sent off twice in the League in the same season. To the best of our knowledge, Aaron Muirhead and Hugh Murray, with three orderings off each in 2012-13, hold the competitive games record for any given season."

Where does Chico stand with regards to these stats?

He deserves another red card for this

A bus full of Rangers fans had Celtic-mad former Hibernian and Partick Thistle midfielder Chic Charnley to thank for ensuring they saw Saturday's win over Livingston at Ibrox, the 52-year-old being the driver of the taxi that arrived after a breakdown. (Daily Record)

I appreciate that there is a debate to be had about the application and effectiveness as a winger of David Amoo. What cannot be questioned is his penchant for being in the right place in the penalty box to score with his head. We are only approx 60% through the season and already he has scored 3 headed goals.

TJR and other stattos, when did a Jags player last score more than 3 headed goals in a top league season? If we extend this to lower tiers, I suspect that 1,2 or 3 out of Conrad Balatoni, Steven Craig and Kris Doolan may have achieved this feat in our promotion season 2012-2013. Apart from that, my recollection is that prolific headed scoring is relatively rare, and we may have to go back to such as Martin Hardie to find another example.

Edited by partickthedog