Ronaldo On Trial - But Not That One

Third Lanark

I felt sorry for the trialist. Two bad errors. He looked good on the ball early on. A sad figure as he trudged off.

To be fair he had only just arrived in the country today I didn't think he would be put in the team today. To be fair a lot of these matches are just about fitness. There was a few defensive errors from the whole team including seaborne

I don't think the U20s have any new centrebacks lined up yet tho' I imagine Hendry or Lindsay will take up one slot more often or not. Obviously the trialist lad had to play the full 90 mins tonight, which was far from ideal.

The more I see of these games the more I prefer it the fewer overage players on show. St Johnstone improved as well when MacKay and Davidson went off at the interval.

Last night's trials was from Montenegro.

I took a look online and it seems to indicate he's an American who is eligible to play for Montenagro. He has already played at U-19 level, and seems to have played a bit of his career thus far in Germany.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

I wasn't at the game but have been checking on the trialist Ronaldo Rudovic who plays for Waldhof Mannheim U19 team as a centre back he looks pretty component on a couple of you tube videos a good tackler, pretty mobile.is from the USA but has played for Montenegro at U18. Has played 21 games with them. Waldhof are pretty poor now this may be why he needs a new club. Waldhof U18s seem to be a poor team and as they have Bayern Munchen, Hoffenheim, 1860 Munchen, Stuttgart, Eintracht Frankfurt,& FcNurnberg in their league life will be difficult for them. I would think he would be worth another trial match.

I agree about first team players unbalancing the U20 games but when guys need game time their seem to be no other option and of course their own agenda.

Arguing against myself slightly as I do agree with this. If billko was around he might point out that it's not really the U20s any longer but what's termed the Development League. Effectively more overage players are now permitted and the competition may be better viewed as a hybrid between youngsters and reserves.

It's far from ideal as the younger players tend to take everything just as seriously as the first team squad whereas the overage players often are simply playing under fitness/recovery agendas. Fortunately the pace these games are usually played at usually dictate that the overage players have to do more than just go thru the motions. They often offer a serious work out for senior players and everyone's a winner. Sometimes tho' the game is much improved when the 1st team regulars are withrawn.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

• 2 weeks later...

The Development Squad are playing Celtic at Morton's ground on Monday evening so we may see Ronaldo again and hopefully with a bit of training with the other players under his belt he will put in a more realistic performance as I don't think the management will judge him on how he performed against St Johnstone when he only arrived here that day.

I hope we don.t sign him at that age i want to see more Scottish players coming through.

If he's good enough, then we should absolutely sign him. Could well be that having him around can help push some of the Scottish players on to improve further with the competition, and even if they don't, if he turns out to be good enough that we either get a fee for him some day or he can make a valuable contribution to the first team I couldn't give a solitary shite where he's from.

• Like 2

The U20s will be in desperate need of at least one centreback. With Hendry and Lindsay both playing for the first XI that was why the lad was thrown in against St Johnstone. The nature of the beast determines that the centreback position has to be covered by youngsters that are physically developed. I'd suggest we're struggling to fill that position rather than holding back the development of any of our younger players.

I hope we don.t sign him at that age i want to see more Scottish players coming through.

In a perfect world I would agree with you. 11 lads from Maryhill lining up to start the game would be the ideal. The fact is that we need to get the best players we can and develop the best youngsters we can. Where they come from is no longer relevant in this day and age.

• Like 1

How can we expect Scotland national team to get better when we are bringing in young players from abroad.

What's stopping young Scottish players going abroad to play? I'm also uncertain, in a general way at least, as to why playing development football in Scotland should be seen as an attraction to a foreigner.

In this specific I think I more or less answered that one. I don't want to see anyone promoted from the academy before they're ready to play at U20 level more so a central defender. I also don't want to see two of our four central defenders play in an U20 side thru necessity. One should be enough.

The thing is it makes it difficult to complain about Rangers and Celtic having foreign youngsters in there youth set ups and criticise then for it, also we soul be seeing if there s another Jack Hendry out there that's been freed by another club.

Ah cool, so you're an absolute roaster who would rather moan about the old firm than see Thistle sign someone who could potentially be a good prospect. Why didn't you just say that?

The thing is it makes it difficult to complain about Rangers and Celtic having foreign youngsters in there youth set ups and criticise then for it, also we soul be seeing if there s another Jack Hendry out there that's been freed by another club.

If local or home grown players are better then they would be in the team, as they are not we should go for the best we can get.

Your same argument could be used for 1st team players, why sign Abdul, Amoo, Cerny etc or Lindua, Pitman or even Jimmy Walker in the past as they keep Scottish players out the team