Record V Celtic At Firhill.

La Scimmia Rossa

I decided to take a look at the history books re our Firhill results v Celtic for the period 76-77 until relegation in 82.

76-77 lost 4-2 and drew 1-1

77-78 won 1-0 lost 4-0

78-79 lost 3-2 and lost 2-1

79-80 0-0 and 1-1

80-81 lost 1-0 and lost 1-0

81-81 lost 2-0 and lost 3-0

I then went back further

74-75 lost 2-1

73-74 won 2-0

72-73 lost 4-0

71-72 lost 5-1

69-70 lost 5-1

68-69 lost 4-0

67-68 lost 5-1

66-67 lost 4-1

65-66 2-2 (yay!)

64-65 lost 4-2

63-64 2-2

62-63 lost 5-1

61-62 lost 2-1

60-61 lost 2-1

59-60 won 3-1

I stopped there. I make that 2 wins in 27 games spanning 20+ years. 2 wins and 5 draws. 11 points from 71 with 3 points for a win. The good old days eh?

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

So what exactly has all that got to do with a piss awful performance on sunday. Celtic's build up to the game would read, they will play with 10 men behind the ball, be patient, pass the ball and the goals will come. What is wrong with 2 young managers going against all that has gone before and attacking them from the first minute, close them down, hunt in packs and get right into their faces. Ok we might not win but we will make friends with the effort, we are leaking fans, bad season ticket sales. Do you really believe that lapsed Thistle fans or neutrals watching that rubbish are going to come back.

All I'm doing is setting the context. We have always been abysmal against Celtic, so it's nothing new. You seriously think a 5-1 tanking will get the fans back?

Hunt in packs? In their faces? Abdul got a yellow for his first foul. Freddie got two yellows for two fouls last week. Re Celtic , Craigen got a red at Parkhead. Banzo got a red at Parkhead . Is that what you are after?

We've not always been poor against Celtic, how many good results (and performances) did we get under Lambie against them?

2-1 Parkhead

3-1 Hampden

Just to name a few, Celtic coast the league cause teams like us bottle it and allow them to play expecting a doing.

It's 11 guys against 11, get in about them and see what happens, Celtic don't expect anyone to attack them in this league it's time we changed that

Fantastic trolling. Do yourself a favour and drop it. You have made your point. Waste of time trying against Celtic. Better to ask the league if we can forfeit the match to save all the trouble.

Any other opinion is not worth having as you have facts to prove it.

Admin, can you close this and all future Celtic threads. Put up a single Just in thread v Celtic saying...

Just in, never tried, never got thumped, objective achieved.

All I'm doing is setting the context. We have always been abysmal against Celtic, so it's nothing new. You seriously think a 5-1 tanking will get the fans back?

Hunt in packs? In their faces? Abdul got a yellow for his first foul. Freddie got two yellows for two fouls last week. Re Celtic , Craigen got a red at Parkhead. Banzo got a red at Parkhead . Is that what you are after?

I thought they backed off a little too much yesterday. Less so in the second half after I assume Archie had aired his feelings at half time. Not backing off, being in their faces, showing too much respect much of a muchness in end product. Semantics tho' isn't one of my strong points.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

How many times is Archibald going to play Stevenson as a lone striker before he realises like most fans that it does not work. Why play the same way against Celtic everytime, what's wrong with trying something different. For goodness sake what we saw on Sunday was bloody awful. Why would anyone spend money to watch that crap. Are you telling me it is ok to accept that just because we have lost so many times. I thought the whole idea of having young managers is that they learn from past mistakes, Archibald and Paterson have learned nothing.

We've not always been poor against Celtic, how many good results (and performances) did we get under Lambie against them?

2-1 Parkhead

3-1 Hampden

Just to name a few, Celtic coast the league cause teams like us bottle it and allow them to play expecting a doing.

It's 11 guys against 11, get in about them and see what happens, Celtic don't expect anyone to attack them in this league it's time we changed that

When we beat Celtic 3-1 at Hampden and 1-0 at Firhill (Shaw) the gap was smaller and Celtic were actually piss poor. Gap much wider now: stronger, quicker, more skill.

Let it go! and beat ICT

How many times is Archibald going to play Stevenson as a lone striker before he realises like most fans that it does not work. Why play the same way against Celtic everytime, what's wrong with trying something different. For goodness sake what we saw on Sunday was bloody awful. Why would anyone spend money to watch that crap. Are you telling me it is ok to accept that just because we have lost so many times. I thought the whole idea of having young managers is that they learn from past mistakes, Archibald and Paterson have learned nothing.

Do you think they should be sacked?

Last season Celtic didn't lose an away game. The season before they lost one away game. Maybe Archie should give these other managers with much better squads a call? See what tactics he should employ?

last season Celtic got beat by St Johnstone , Inverness Caley twice , Dundee Utd and the mighty Hamilton accies , maybe we should check with them first, whether it was home or away is immaterial .

Do you think they should be sacked?

No but they need to stop trotting out the same excuses, I like you have been supporting Thistle for a long time like you (over sixty years in my case) and I have never been so angry after watching that pathetic excuse for a football team. No more excuses, in the last 7 games against Celtic how many shots at goal have we had and how many saves has their goalkeeper made, I don't need to ask how many goals we have scored. Come on after 7 games why are we playing the same tactics?

I love to see folk getting into their Thistle history, well done LSR.

I notice you've got us down for 2 wins out of 27 in your typical example though. You might (or might not) be surpised to learn that, the full and complete historical picture is actually only 2 losses out of every 3 games.

Historically, we've not always been the pussies that we showed ourselves to be yesterday.

56 victories would suggest that there have in fact been some good auld days! I could post them if you fancy a good old reminisce?

wwndeg.jpg

correct to 10 August 2015

No but they need to stop trotting out the same excuses, I like you have been supporting Thistle for a long time like you (over sixty years in my case) and I have never been so angry after watching that pathetic excuse for a football team. No more excuses, in the last 7 games against Celtic how many shots at goal have we had and how many saves has their goalkeeper made, I don't need to ask how many goals we have scored. Come on after 7 games why are we playing the same tactics?

We've no doubt got a lot in common, dunnikierjag. I don't believe anyone can follow the Jags for as many decades we have (tho' not quite so long in my case) and not share the same madness. Gotta say tho' I was only slightly miffed yesterday tho' i questioned myself over why I bothered going. If I was to put anger on a scale of one to ten I'll give yesterday a four and the last County game at Firhill a nine.

I decided to take a look at the history books re our Firhill results v Celtic for the period 76-77 until relegation in 82.

76-77 lost 4-2 and drew 1-1

77-78 won 1-0 lost 4-0

78-79 lost 3-2 and lost 2-1

79-80 0-0 and 1-1

80-81 lost 1-0 and lost 1-0

81-81 lost 2-0 and lost 3-0

I then went back further

74-75 lost 2-1

73-74 won 2-0

72-73 lost 4-0

71-72 lost 5-1

69-70 lost 5-1

68-69 lost 4-0

67-68 lost 5-1

66-67 lost 4-1

65-66 2-2 (yay!)

64-65 lost 4-2

63-64 2-2

62-63 lost 5-1

61-62 lost 2-1

60-61 lost 2-1

59-60 won 3-1

I stopped there. I make that 2 wins in 27 games spanning 20+ years. 2 wins and 5 draws. 11 points from 71 with 3 points for a win. The good old days eh?

If you add the games at Parkhead in those years, the record is just mindblowingly, unbelievably bad. It must be the worst of any club of around our size.

Mais c'est la vie. I don't see it changing, unfortunately.

If you add the games at Parkhead in those years, the record is just mindblowingly, unbelievably bad. It must be the worst of any club of around our size.

Mais c'est la vie. I don't see it changing, unfortunately.

Most jags fans accept that we ain't gonna do much against Celtic, Jagger, however the poverty of the display on Sunday, especially with the game being on TV, left a sour taste. As I said on another post, a drubbing could have destroyed the young boys at the back, but I think they are too good for that to have happened. I can accept us trying to get a point in away games, however (for me anyway) it is unacceptable to play that way at home, no matter who we are playing!

• Like 1

Most jags fans accept that we ain't gonna do much against Celtic, Jagger, however the poverty of the display on Sunday, especially with the game being on TV, left a sour taste. As I said on another post, a drubbing could have destroyed the young boys at the back, but I think they are too good for that to have happened. I can accept us trying to get a point in away games, however (for me anyway) it is unacceptable to play that way at home, no matter who we are playing!

100% agreement. By the time I'd found a live video feed Stevenson, head bandaged, was waiting to come back on. Immediately at that point I thought we must be chucking in the towel already.

• Like 1

I thought they backed off a little too much yesterday. Less so in the second half after I assume Archie had aired his feelings at half time. Not backing off, being in their faces, showing too much respect much of a muchness in end product. Semantics tho' isn't one of my strong points.

There was a nervousness in our play in the early part of the game: too many hoof balls to nowhere and when we did get the odd bit of possession gave it away quickly with a very poor pass.

Now we know our players can pass, they are one of the best in this league at it. Even if you can't mount many attacks if you pass well you can keep possession, stop the other team from building impetus. We didn't do that, instead letting Celtic come at us in waves - when you do that then a mistake will happen or an unlucky break which leads to a goal.

I said at the game I thought we looked really nervous - I thought that was why we gave the ball away so much. We made much better use of it in the second half and Celtic didn't have the constant pressure.

That reads as if too many players thought we were beat before we started. Maybe our management team, good as they are in many ways lack the ability to put belief in players minds for such games? Could we get Lambie in just before the team goes out each week to give them some "encouragement" for the game?

Edited by Mr Bunny

I love to see folk getting into their Thistle history, well done LSR.

I notice you've got us down for 2 wins out of 27 in your typical example though. You might (or might not) be surpised to learn that, the full and complete historical picture is actually only 2 losses out of every 3 games.

Historically, we've not always been the pussies that we showed ourselves to be yesterday.

56 victories would suggest that there have in fact been some good auld days! I could post them if you fancy a good old reminisce?

wwndeg.jpg

correct to 10 August 2015