Sellik Supporting Mate

Lindau

says if Sellik qualify for the group stages of CL, that all the top league clubs get a bonus of £150,000. Is this true? If so, for the first time in my life I will say.....come on ra Sellik!!

That is correct. If they don't qualify and go in to the Europa League the Premiership clubs get about £30,000 each.

• Like 1

says if Sellik qualify for the group stages of CL, that all the top league clubs get a bonus of £150,000. Is this true? If so, for the first time in my life I will say.....come on ra Sellik!!

Yeah , but you have to weigh up that against the fact they have Leigh Griffiths playing for them.

So the £150,000 won't help us get someone in to replace Christie Elliot for half a season or the attacking midfielder Archie craves? Fair enough!! You can bet your bottom dollar that all the board will be hoping Celtic qualify!!

Still doesn't really negate the validity of twinny's post. And as Paddy Thistle points out in this instance Celtic get even richer perhaps forcing clubs to up their spending to try to compete and so on down the line.

Slightly different subject and I know it's been done to death on here but all that increased coefficient tosh is most definitely not in our interest. Unless of course we're in a position to qualify for Europe.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

lindau, understand your line of thinking, in that £150k to thistle would be welcome, particularly right now, to get a christie stand in or attacking mf, or whatever extra players he is targeting.

question one though ..... when would thistle get that £150k? immediately, this time next week if they qualify? that leaves five days to do the deals. or does the money not come through until after 1st september? or nearer end of year, or at end of season? if we don't have the money in the bank ,will the board release or cover the funds for up to possibly nine months?

question two ..... how does thistle (and ten other clubs) getting £150k each, while selltic gets £12-15m, work to the benefit of thistle, in giving us any advantage over clubs around us, let alone vs selltic? or even help "level the playing field" in any way for us vs any club except selltic, or even any of the other eleven premier ship clubs if selltic are getting a hundred times what every one else does?

Champions League money is what keeps Celtic so far ahead. If they went a sustained period of years without qualifying it could only be good for Scottish football by allowing some of the club's closer in finances to get even closer and create what could become a genuinely competitive league, which is obviously much better than getting what is, in comparison, a paltry amount of money as a consolation for UEFA's continued policy of keeping the big clubs big and making sure smaller clubs learn their place.

Never support Celtic in Europe. It doesn't benefit Thistle. It hurts Scottish football as a whole. I hope they get ******* pumped in the next leg.

• Like 2

I think it is irrelevant how much money Celtic get.Thistle are never going to be able to compete with them given the difference in the support. However, 150K could go a long way in sorting out the things that need sorting egTannoy etc, as well financing a player or getting some of the guys whose contracts are up soon, re signed.

If somebody offered you money, even although all your neighbours were getting it too, would you say no ?

• Like 2

I think it is irrelevant how much money Celtic get.Thistle are never going to be able to compete with them given the difference in the support. However, 150K could go a long way in sorting out the things that need sorting egTannoy etc, as well financing a player or getting some of the guys whose contracts are up soon, re signed.

If somebody offered you money, even although all your neighbours were getting it too, would you say no ?

It's not though, is it?

It's very obvious that if a genuinely competitive league existed in Scotland it would benefit all concerned. Of course Celtic, and Rangers as well, would continue to dominate by having larger supports but the lack of the absolutely huge financial rewards gained by playing in the Champions league would be bridged by clubs who now find themselves closer in terms of finance and with a genuine chance of winning the league.

That in turn would probably see increased interest in Scottish football by people who currently don't care since "you know who's going to win." This in turn could lead to greater attendances for clubs like ours as fans who until now haven't had an interest are now wanting to see this for themselves. Even if it didn't, it would make it much better for those of us who do care about the game.

This is all the second best scenario for our league though. The best thing that could happen is if the OF get their wish and **** off to the Premier League or some European Super League pish, and leave the rest of us to enjoy a league without them and their sectarian nonsense dragging us down.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow
  • Like 2

It's not though, is it?

It's very obvious that if a genuinely competitive league existed in Scotland it would benefit all concerned. Of course Celtic, and Rangers as well, would continue to dominate by having larger supports but the lack of the absolutely huge financial rewards gained by playing in the Champions league would be bridged by clubs who now find themselves closer in terms of finance and with a genuine chance of winning the league.

That in turn would probably see increased interest in Scottish football by people who currently don't care since "you know who's going to win." This in turn could lead to greater attendances for clubs like ours as fans who until now haven't had an interest are now wanting to see this for themselves. Even if it didn't, it would make it much better for those of us who do care about the game.

This is all the second best scenario for our league though. The best thing that could happen is if the OF get their wish and **** off to the Premier League or some European Super League pish, and leave the rest of us to enjoy a league without them and their sectarian nonsense dragging us down.

But that still wouldn't happen. The sectarian nonsense would still be there, just playing in another league. The press and media would still be concentrating on them and whatever league they are playing in. There would be less interest in the Scottish leagues as there would be no clubs of public interest playing there and as a result sponsorship would drop.

Ask yourself if Cardiff/Swansea ****ing off to the English Leagues has helped raise Welsh football ?

BTW, I am on the side of Celtic getting humped next week. I don't think that the £150k v £30k will make much difference to this season.

But that still wouldn't happen. The sectarian nonsense would still be there, just playing in another league. The press and media would still be concentrating on them and whatever league they are playing in. There would be less interest in the Scottish leagues as there would be no clubs of public interest playing there and as a result sponsorship would drop.

Ask yourself if Cardiff/Swansea ****ing off to the English Leagues has helped raise Welsh football ?

BTW, I am on the side of Celtic getting humped next week. I don't think that the £150k v £30k will make much difference to this season.

Short term yes, sponsorship would drop but I still think that, long term, it could only benefit Scottish football as a whole. Finances being tighter would see clubs relying on bringing through youth to an even greater degree (this could be further implemented by changes to the rules - say at least 2 home grown at the club players in the match day squad and 5 home grown in Scotland?) and this in turn would lead to better players coming through the league and, for me at least, an even greater sense of pride in Thistle if we were able to successfully bring through young players and the league as a whole could do the same to an even larger extent. It would also mean the OF could bring through greater talent by utilising some of the finances on offer in the "greatest league in the world." This would in turn lead to an improved national team who maybe qualify and this momentum could be used to drum up interest in the league.

Of course it could all go tits up and not work out like that.

Re. Wales- that's different due to a couple of factors. Rugby is more popular than football is in Wales (AFAIK) so they have to compete much more with that, and also the fact that Cardiff and Swansea aren't the only Welsh teams playing in England but in fact a total of 6 teams play there, the other 4 would all be bigger clubs in that division and if they also played there would probably help the league substantially.

As for the bit in bold, good choice. The only time it is ever acceptable to support Celtic is if it would have a direct impact upon our season (say if them winning would guarantee us top 6 or safety). Otherwise, literally any team (outwith Rangers) should be supported over them.