Conrad

Lindau

He had his ropey moments, but in general we got good service from big Conrad. Hope he has a nightmare on Saturday though!

^^^^^ this.

have to ask though, where are killie getting their money from now?

they are handing out two and a half year and three year contracts like sweeties.

iirc, they wiped their debt but lost the hotel income. their crowds have not improved, and while conrad on a two and a half year contract will not be anywhere near their highest earner, you have to wonder where the money will come from to pay these thirty and thirtysix month contracts to not only the players but management too ..... and that's based on premise they remain in top flight ( or, for example management team or various players don't require paying off should they panic). if killie go down this or next season, they could have severe financial issues.

or have killie just decided to build up a debt mountain again?

^^^^^ this.

they are handing out two and a half year and three year contracts like sweeties.

iirc, they wiped their debt but lost the hotel income. their crowds have not improved, and while conrad on a two and a half year contract will not be anywhere near their highest earner, you have to wonder where the money will come from to pay these thirty and thirtysix month contracts to not only the players but management too ..... and that's based on premise they remain in top flight ( or, for example management team or various players don't require paying off should they panic). if killie go down this or next season, they could have severe financial issues.

You can only build a debt mountain if someone finances the debt

As banks are no longer in the business of lending stupidly to football clubs it's either the owners or someone else

^^^^^ this.

I asked a Killie fan about this in the summer amidst their gratuitous offering of lengthy deals to anyone who had set foot in Ibrox.

Apparently, it's a tactic that Michael Johnson has used for many years - long term contracts which are heavily weighted with various release clauses should the player not play a certain number of games, the team gets relegated, goes into financial oblivion, etc.

I used to like Balatoni when he worked hard to earn a living playing in front of a few thousand fans every week with a bottom six club in the West of Scotland but now that he works hard to earn a living playing in front of a few thousand fans every week with a bottom six club in the West of Scotland I hate him and everything he stands for.

• Like 2

I asked a Killie fan about this in the summer amidst their gratuitous offering of lengthy deals to anyone who had set foot in Ibrox.

Apparently, it's a tactic that Michael Johnson has used for many years - long term contracts which are heavily weighted with various release clauses should the player not play a certain number of games, the team gets relegated, goes into financial oblivion, etc.

That would suggest that it's superficially a long-term contract; in reality the could dump a player at just about any time. Good tactic!

He allegedly had a deal in place at Bradford, and the money I was told he was offered was frightening, (2k per week) but supposedly par for the course at that level! I was told how it fell through but honestly can't remember! It was a month or two ago I heard this.

He'll be on more money than he could have gotten at Thistle on a longer more secure deal and hes at a club with more resources, so in the end despite failing to be the next Simon Storey hes landed alright. Not really bothered that he left right enough. He was okay as a player when not playing alongside a diddy who would expose him and a nice guy, but I hated his clumsiness which was evident right up until the last game I watched him in, against, ironically, Kilmarnock....

He allegedly had a deal in place at Bradford, and the money I was told he was offered was frightening, (2k per week) but supposedly par for the course at that level! I was told how it fell through but honestly can't remember! It was a month or two ago I heard this.

He'll be on more money than he could have gotten at Thistle on a longer more secure deal and hes at a club with more resources, so in the end despite failing to be the next Simon Storey hes landed alright. Not really bothered that he left right enough. He was okay as a player when not playing alongside a diddy who would expose him and a nice guy, but I hated his clumsiness which was evident right up until the last game I watched him in, against, ironically, Kilmarnock....

Was it not Bradford he had a trial with? Played 45 minutes at St Mirren.

He has said himself he played that game, then never heard from them again.

Once we go 4-0 up on Saturday do we taunt Balatoni with the usual (conrad, conrad, what's the score...)

Or at that point do we pays our respects to a good thistle servant ..? Doo , doo, doo....

I go for the later.

Higgy - no thanks !

doo doo doo for conrad

what's the score for hig

childish but justified

That must have been a real sickener for him on Saturday. I thought that result really did sum up what has been a complete nose dive in fortunes for the lad. From leaving Firhill after an excellent end to last season, with promises of deals either in Europe or England, to then start the season on the bench in the Scottish 3rd tier and then to scrape together a last minute deal with a club who finished below us in the league table last season. He's made some dreadful decisions which he himself is ultimately responsible for but it's plane to see that he has been badly advised as well.

I would much rather have Liam Lindsay in our defence right now anyway, he really is growing in to an excellent centre half. Long way to go but the signs are very good.

Edited by ian_mac

That must have been a real sickener for him on Saturday. I thought that result really did sum up what has been a complete nose dive in fortunes for the lad. From leaving Firhill after an excellent end to last season, with promises of deals either in Europe or England, to then start the season on the bench in the Scottish 3rd tier and then to scrape together a last minute deal with a club who finished below us in the league table last season. He's made some dreadful decisions which he himself is ultimately responsible for but it's plane to see that he has been badly advised as well....

Maybe, but on the other hand it could be argued that his own performance wasn't particularly at fault and he was the provider of one goal for his side. That might improve his prospects, since playing well in a poor team could showcase what he has to offer.

Don't see where the confidence in our defence is coming from. We have went 6 games without a clean sheet and last one was via a very poor Dundee United side.

Compare this to the second half of last season with Both Frans and Balatoni together there is a big difference. No doubt they two were a better partnership.

Don't just think its is Liam's fault either. Don't know what Dan was doing for Kilie's second goal. I an a big Seabourn fan but don't think he is in his best form at the min.

I do expect the partnership to get better as they get to know each other better and is still better than Lindsey - Frans together.

Edited by Alan Murray

That must have been a real sickener for him on Saturday. I thought that result really did sum up what has been a complete nose dive in fortunes for the lad. From leaving Firhill after an excellent end to last season, with promises of deals either in Europe or England, to then start the season on the bench in the Scottish 3rd tier and then to scrape together a last minute deal with a club who finished below us in the league table last season. He's made some dreadful decisions which he himself is ultimately responsible for but it's plane to see that he has been badly advised as well.

I would much rather have Liam Lindsay in our defence right now anyway, he really is growing in to an excellent centre half. Long way to go but the signs are very good.

Lindsay is a unit and despite his age and relative inexperience I'd also have him starting instead of Conrad. Even if we barely get a penny for him if he is a regular starter this season and next regardless of what division we are in, he'll be going somewhere with over 75 senior starting appearances under his belt and be in a very good position to have a very good career for himself at a good level. Conrad on the other hand is at his peak, and that's only Killie.

Edited by Hankey

I was very disappointed when Conrad left because he had worked hard to improve and get fitter. He kept making serious mistakes at the end of matches which was down to being unfit.

Part of our success was down to his fitness level at the season end though I recall magennis rag dolling him to a level that would not happen to Lindsay.

But he was a good servant and a good guy to have around. Pleased he is taking a large salary from Killie as we have replaced him with Lindsay who is potentially far better. Lindsay is pretty dominant in the air now and he will learn to attack the ball on the deck. I don't panic when opposition get a corner any more. It's great to bring through a young lad and see him improving every game. Well done Archie for sticking with him.

So, no bad feelings for Conrad. Unlike Paton, Fox and Higgy who have none of the qualities of Conrad. Admit to missing higgy's occasional brilliance though.

I was very disappointed when Conrad left because he had worked hard to improve and get fitter. He kept making serious mistakes at the end of matches which was down to being unfit.

Part of our success was down to his fitness level at the season end though I recall magennis rag dolling him to a level that would not happen to Lindsay.

But he was a good servant and a good guy to have around. Pleased he is taking a large salary from Killie as we have replaced him with Lindsay who is potentially far better. Lindsay is pretty dominant in the air now and he will learn to attack the ball on the deck. I don't panic when opposition get a corner any more. It's great to bring through a young lad and see him improving every game. Well done Archie for sticking with him.

So, no bad feelings for Conrad. Unlike Paton, Fox and Higgy who have none of the qualities of Conrad. Admit to missing higgy's occasional brilliance though.

That's very much in tandem with my opinion re Balatoni. I would tho' also add that no matter how he was playing Conrad came across on field as an inspirational character and worthy of being a Jags captain. I've no reason to believe that wasn't the case off the pitch as well. In that respect he's a loss but who's to say in a season or so Lindsay won't be coming across as a natural leader. Prior to going out on loan last season Liam was every bit an inspirational figure in the U20s.

• Like 2