What Hurts More? Thistle V Scotland

Veejag

47 members have voted

1. 1. What hurts more?

• Scotland - it's the building and then utter destruction of hope.
    • Thistle - I can't believe I keep going back.

For me, the Scotland thing is like being shot in the stomach like Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs. You know it's going to end horribly, and it's going to take ages, but you have that tiny glimmer of hope that everything is going to be ok.

Thistle is more like being stabbed repeatedly with a small needle. It hurts, but once your lung has been punctured you kinda get used to the pain.

Wasn't always the case with me but Thistle first by far.

Much easier decision to make these days. I know it never happened but you always felt that Scotland qualifying for a major tournament wasn't the end. You nearly always felt that we could progress and more often or not it was the SFA/management that let us down rather than the players. Like the Jags there was always that fighting above our weight mentality. No longer the case as we strive and fail to match up to less populous nations.

Nowadays we'd be madly celebrating getting to a play off to qualify for a tournament where we'd be lucky to get a win never mind get out of the section stage. It's the equivalent of getting an open top bus to celebrate the Jags reaching the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

• Like 1

Thistle - the expectations are higher despite all the evidence and your own experience. With Scotland I'm just numbed after decades of crap, which is what I expect and am never dissapointed. Good article in today's Guardian about the Scottish team, which makes the very good point that Scotland never overperform.

Thistle of course, but Scotland deep there in my fragile emotional construct.

^^^^^ well put.

no one should get me wrong when i say "no comparison" between thistle and scotland, because while there is none, i would have to agree hundred percent with mr blackpool in his last eight words. just thistle is even more immeasurably in my f.e.c. as well as heart, veins, blood, and so on.

I've never been to a Scotland game.

that is sorry state of affairs imo mr woodstock.

put it on your bucketlist.

Call me a soppy old romantic, but....

Following Thistle is a love affair. We've been through alot, highs an lows and they are always on my mind. The more i know about them the more I wanna know. They aint always how i'd want them to be but i'm as motivated and proud to be supporting them at Cliftonhill as I woud be at The Bernabeu. Despite their failings, I believe in thier potential and can see their purpose. You know it's love when the monotony never slips to contempt.

Following Scotland is an arranged marraige. Formal and boring. Despite the highs and lows, we don't really know each other, hardly ever see each other, and only really put on a show of affection on glamorous, official occaisions. No hard feelings, but the spark just isn't there.They ain't always how i'd want them to be, and I ain't that fussed. Carry on, it's quaint, I could do without it.

Club before country.... No contest.

:fan:

... reluctant to vote... I can't beleive I don't do more to see them more often!!! .... I fookin love THISTLE!!!... there, I said it. :happy2:

• Like 2

There is no need to make a choice it is possible and in my view normal that you will have an emotional attachment for both.

I have lost many a weekend through a Thistle defeat however the real pain comes when it means something such as a cup defeat, relegation or end of a potential promotion campaign. These moments compare to the pain felt when Scotland lose a competitive game as the likelihood or reality is its the end of the campaign for a World Cup or Europeans. If you have any ounce of patriotism in you Scotland losing will hurt.

• Like 1

There is no need to make a choice it is possible and in my view normal that you will have an emotional attachment for both.

I have lost many a weekend through a Thistle defeat however the real pain comes when it means something such as a cup defeat, relegation or end of a potential promotion campaign. These moments compare to the pain felt when Scotland lose a competitive game as the likelihood or reality is its the end of the campaign for a World Cup or Europeans. If you have any ounce of patriotism in you Scotland losing will hurt.

The constant failure of the Scotland side just sanitises me to any disappointment! NINE tournaments in a row without qualification?? We now expect failure! At least Thistle have jumped up now and again to acheive something! I live in hope each time a new campaign starts for Scotland, but when it is ultimately crushed I just laugh, as I did when Poland scored that last kick goal the other night! Thistke? It hurts like hell when we lose!

• Like 1