Alan Rough's Medal On Ebay

Jaggernaut

http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have no idea of the story behind this medal coming up for public sale on eBay, but as a lifelong Thistle supporter I feel that if it is not to stay with Roughie's family or specified friends, then it should certainly belong to PTFC, and held for perpetuity along with the club's other historical items.

Isn't this something that the Jags Trust should move into action swiftly for... to ensure that such an interesting and valuable piece of Thistle history doesn't get lost to the club and its supporters?

Failing that, here's hoping that a Thistle fan wins it and either takes good temporary care of it, or donates it to the club.

There are 9 days left.

Again, here's hoping.

ETA: Or, if BowenBoys were to start a fast campaign.....

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1

Well spotted. It's sad to see that ex players have had to sell on their medals but I suppose players never earned today's money back then. It would be great for the club to buy something like this back.

I can't take any credit for being the spotter. I saw it on Stujag's post on the "Who are the Jags Players" thread.

I must admit to buying Roughie's (entire) collection of match day programmes from his time at Thistle, at an auction a couple of years back. But winners' medals are a different kettle of fish altogether.

Well, not a great time of year for this to come up.

Not wishing to stand on anyone's toes on this but I have, this morning, contacted the seller. I said that there may be an attempt to secure the medal for the club. I have asked whether he would be willing to remove the medal from auction and give more time for a club related purchase to be instigated. I have also asked him to set the price at £1950. I await the response.

I have also informed the club of this action.

I know nothing of the workings of the Jags Trust. Happy to pass on details of my communication if someone PMs me.

It's no chore for me to collect money for this but is there willingness from you guys? Let's have some feedback. Cheers.

It may actually be its true value but £1,950 seems extraordinarily high to me. Maybe because I'm absolutely skint this month.

The seller clearly has an idea of what he might hope to get for it. Jags players' winners medals are indeed extremely rare on the market. And Alan Rough is probably the most famous Jag.

Well, not a great time of year for this to come up.

Not wishing to stand on anyone's toes on this but I have, this morning, contacted the seller. I said that there may be an attempt to secure the medal for the club. I have asked whether he would be willing to remove the medal from auction and give more time for a club related purchase to be instigated. I have also asked him to set the price at £1950. I await the response.

I have also informed the club of this action.

I know nothing of the workings of the Jags Trust. Happy to pass on details of my communication if someone PMs me.

It's no chore for me to collect money for this but is there willingness from you guys? Let's have some feedback. Cheers.

Well done, BB. I wonder how the seller will react. He might hold out in the hope of getting more, as it wasn't a fixed price.

If a supporters' campaign secured it for the club, I would want a written guarantee from the club to every contributor that it would remain with the club in perpetuity. For that I would be willing to part with 100 quid.

Could up to 20 of us do it?

ETA: Further thoughts 1) I still think that this should be done by the Jags Trust; it would even be one way of redeeming themselves in the eyes of many. 2) If it comes from supporters at large, no reason why smaller donations couldn't also be accepted; everybody to get a certificate of participation.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Would be interesting to know how this seller aquired. Is he selling on behalf of Roughy. Did Roughy auction years ago. Wouldn,t mind the back story. If it was paid for by wearethistle crowdfunding it should still be for the market rate. Didn,t a Faberge egg of Jimmy Johnstone only sell for £15000 so a league medal for £2000 seems very high.

Edited by topcat

Look forward to seeing some evidence of the mere existence of the Jags Trust, let alone something proactive like this.

Would be nice to hear what they've been up to recently, how many members there are currently and what they foresee their future role being now that we have this new trust on the horizon.

• Like 5

Have received a reply from the ebay vendor.

The auction will, at the moment, remain active. While expressing empathy for our situation he basically believes he can get a lot more than the starting price. However, he's a business man so he will keep his options open. He has admitted that selling to us has benefits because ebay will want their share of the sale price. I have emailed back with more information at his request and we are discussing possible timescale.

The club are keen for the medal to be on display at the club and are discussing the matter internally.

No word from the Jags Trust.

Don't know about anybody else but I feel that as we have all worked hard to raise £2100 for Archie, it would be crazy for the club to pay out a similar sum for a medal. I would favour a further fundraising effort by ourselves possibly backed up by the club.

Any views?

It's a difficult one. I've had a look around and at almost £2k its one of , if not the most expensive medal for sale at the moment. I suppose it's who else would it appeal to outside of "Thistle" supporters.

I can't seem to find any real records of Thistle players medals sold so can't find any pricing precedent set. The seller on eBay does seem to be a dealer in this sort of thing so I'd imagine he knows his market better than most.

The back story would be interesting to know how he came into possession of it.

I'm sure if there was no bids at the asking price he would be willing to negotiate and although I'm sure he would want to turn a small profit on whatever he paid it would be a great news story to be able to buy it for the club and good publicity for his business too. So potentially could be a win win.

Fingers crossed it ends up for the future generations of Thistle fans to admire.

Thanks erty13.

Glad it is got off to a strong start but please don't think you have to pledge a large amount.

In my communication with the vendor I asked whether he would be prepared to remove the medal from auction and, if so, would he be expecting us the raise £1950. As the vendor is keen to run the auction, we are committed to nothing. It is out of our hands at the moment anyway.

Roughie's pub "The Goalpost" enjoys legendary status for all the wrong reasons. Apparently their stock levels were always kept notoriously low. I believe the building was knocked down to accommodate the big Honda sales garage on Garscube Road.

Was the Goalpost also known as the Camp Bar and perhaps later as the New Camp Bar? Or am I getting mixed up with a pub closer to Queens X?