Stevo

The Earl of Hathaway

Good luck to him wherever he ends up (unless a rival team!)

Wasn't the greatest this year and his attitude didn't appear brilliant towards the end but he did have some good moments in a Jags shirt.

Think the injury at Hamilton had a big effect on his form this year, he's never really got back to anywhere near full fitness.

• Like 2

One would expect some movement soon on the transfer front with his wage being freed up.

Has the wage been freed up? Imagine Stevo wouldn't have walked without the majority of his contract being paid up, but I do agree we deffo need a couple in, especially if Pogba continues with his injury problems. If Dools gets injured, we really have very few options up front

I wouldn't be too quick to say Stevenson was uninterested. Even when he was playing well his body language always suggested otherwise. You can forget his alleged slight at Tynecastle or his lack of celebration when he scored this season against ICT the salient point was he was unfit having never fully recovered from his injury at NDP. He needs to regain match fitness and we simply don't win games comfortably to bring him on as first sub. He'll maybe be able to get that valuable playing time down a division or two tho' that's not a certainty either.

Let's be honest we were all delighted when we beat off other premiership rivals to sign him a couple of years ago, however it hasn't worked out for whatever reason and that's life.

What we should recognise is Archie's ruthlessness in realising its time to move the player on. How often in the past have we seen managers continue to play players who are off form simply to try to justify buying them in the first instance.

So well done Archie in acting swiftly to release Stevo.

Good luck to RS wherever he ends up, even if it is to one of our rivals.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be too quick to say Stevenson was uninterested.

Agreed, even when playing well, he had that languid type of style, but the thing that bugged me and a lot of fans earlier in the season was that if he ended up on the ground we got the inevitable hands in the air and staying on his backside for what seemed like an eternity! Wouldn't imagine that would have pleased Archie one little bit, given that he has a very hard working ethic throughout the side.

Good luck to Ryan, I never bought the "not interested" bit. A combination of never really recovering full fitness and competition in the mid field made it difficult for him to secure a first team place.

At the pre-season strip launch in George Square he looked well away from recovery and I was surprised that he returned to the team as quickly as he did.

Terminating his contract at this point seems the best way forward for both club and player.

Vinnyjag is correct, we were all delighted when we signed him.

2nd top scorer and most assists last season.

This season he hasn't looked up to standard and now he's gone.

He'll be a Ayr United player within the next few days and I hope him and his new club finish the season in a higher division.

Edited by ian_mac

anyone wondering if this getting used for freeing up a wage for erskine

Don't know, but he is exactly the type of player we are looking for at the moment. Attacking midfielder, who runs at defences, can score and set up goals and can also play wide. Only problem I see is that Und must see us as one of the teams to target so not sure giving us their player of the year last season, would go down too well with the Arabs especially with an important game against us coming up(not sure if he played v Airdrie in their cup game)

Edited by Lindau

Don't know, but he is exactly the type of player we are looking for at the moment. Attacking midfielder, who runs at defences, can score and set up goals and can also play wide. Only problem I see is that Und must see us as one of the teams to target so not sure giving us their player of the year last season, would go down too well with the Arabs especially with an important game against us coming up(not sure if he played v Airdrie in their cup game)

He started against Airdrie and was one of the few that offered any kind of threat on the first half. Was hooked after about an hour and replaced by one of Mixu's new signings. United certainly were much more dangerous, in a kind of in ineffectual way, the longer the game went on but doubt that was really down to any personnel changes and more Airdrie not being able to play the whole game at a decent tempo.

Wow. Long answer.

• Like 1

anyone wondering if this getting used for freeing up a wage for erskine

Not directly but Erskine and Stevenson will play similar positions. I happen to think Lawless is also best used in that central role so we could bring in a wide player instead of Erskine. In ignorance of our financial position I would think ideally we get Erskine in the next week or so AND a wide creative player. The only difference I would imagine is if Chris arrives this season then the wide player might be right sided.