Wullie Collum - A Changed Man?

LambieIsGod

Without question, Collum has been one of the worst referees Scottish football fans have had the misfortune to clap their eyes on, me included. His whistle happy approach, terroble decision making and school teacher attitude towards the players has driven me to despair at times, and even ruined games I have paid good money to watch. But....

I thought today he was excellent. One of the best ref displays I've seen in a long time. He played advantage whenever he could, he wasn't conned by the players, most of his decisions were fair, and he even put his arm around Lawless at the end of the game when explaining his decision around Hearts' winner, showing some interpersonal skills that I never thought he even possessed.

He's either undergone extensive re-training behind the scenes, or that was a look-a-like today. On the basis that that was the real Wullie Collum, I wonder if today was a one off, or is he a changed man?

He waved away two blatant dives, which I thought were good brave decisions particularly as it would've been easy to give the fouls. But he didn't punish the cheater and I think that just encourages them to keep diving until they get away with it. But agreed it was a better performance with much less drama than he usually shows.

Without question, Collum has been one of the worst referees Scottish football fans have had the misfortune to clap their eyes on, me included. His whistle happy approach, terroble decision making and school teacher attitude towards the players has driven me to despair at times, and even ruined games I have paid good money to watch. But....

I thought today he was excellent. One of the best ref displays I've seen in a long time. He played advantage whenever he could, he wasn't conned by the players, most of his decisions were fair, and he even put his arm around Lawless at the end of the game when explaining his decision around Hearts' winner, showing some interpersonal skills that I never thought he even possessed.

He's either undergone extensive re-training behind the scenes, or that was a look-a-like today. On the basis that that was the real Wullie Collum, I wonder if today was a one off, or is he a changed man?

Agreed. I read an interview with him recently where he said he was trying to change and it showed. The old Willie would have booked Abdul at his first or second foul today and he did seem more chatty with the players

Thought he was good today but it looked to me that Tomas was impeded at the winning goal....several players thought so as well. As Gaz has said I will reserve judgement till I see it again

Absolutely no foul on cerny for the goal. It was defo a thistle player (I think Lindsay) that took him out.

Agree with the post and think Collum had a very good game. Didn't give Into crowd pressure especially with the hearts fans when a few decisions went against them. Hopefully he's a changed man but I have my doubts!

He waved away two blatant dives, which I thought were good brave decisions particularly as it would've been easy to give the fouls. But he didn't punish the cheater and I think that just encourages them to keep diving until they get away with it. But agreed it was a better performance with much less drama than he usually shows.

Just because soneone goes over, it doesn't always mean there is a foul or a dive. The referee can interpret that it's a contact sport and doesn't always result in a free kick or booking.

Apart from the corner I thought was ours at the end, unbelievably I thought he was very good. Two Thistle bookings were deserved, no real dirty ones from Hearts (just a strong, physical team) and for me no foul on Cerny.

Just because soneone goes over, it doesn't always mean there is a foul or a dive. The referee can interpret that it's a contact sport and doesn't always result in a free kick or booking.

Well I opinion his interpretation was wrong. On both occasions the Hearts players went to ground far too easy and tried to get the foul.

Apart from the corner I thought was ours at the end, unbelievably I thought he was very good. Two Thistle bookings were deserved, no real dirty ones from Hearts (just a strong, physical team) and for me no foul on Cerny.

I thought it was our corner but Lawless had no complaints so I guess it came back off him

No 18 should have been booked for blatant diving.

2 years ago Collum gave 2 penalties against Thistle when the ball was blootered against a defender from 2 yards. The 'new' Willie turned down a similar one today for us.

That's life. As long as the old Willie doesn't re-emerge to our disadvantage.

• Like 1

He did the job that he's paid to do, in a competent manner.

Why describe that as excellent?

Agree with this but if the infuriating arrogance has disappeared then it's certainly worth noting.

I was at an Alloa game last season when he was officiating and due to the small crowd you could hear all his dictatorial patter. Refs need some sort of rapport with players and have to show them some sort of respect. Today he looked like he was trying to redress that failing. But as Big Col says he's just doing what he should be doing. Not being centre of the attraction for once is tho' refreshing.

Totally agree, I said at the time, I thought he had a good game. The time where the Jags player threw the ball in a huff, Collum of old would just have brought out the card, good referring. When Edwards was ball watching yet again and flew into the tackle, in my opinion was a straight red.

What let Collum him down was the clowns with the flags, what is the point of these wasters....

Well it's all about opinions - his is the one that counts.

Should be all about consistency as well. Not that I found Oor Wullie particularly guilty and certainly better than one or two we've already had this season.

Interesting that many are jumping on the linesmen for blind-eye. Collum along with Thomson are two who completely ignore their so called assistant referees for all but line calls and offside shouts. So I'd cut them some slack. Most of us saw Beaton last week completely ignore his linesman and he's a ref that can't keep up with play, which makes matters worse.

Better than he has been and attitude has improved with players but inconsistency still rankles. The incident near the end a prime example.

Correctly talks to Hearts defender about fouling Lawless then ignores almost identical foul on Erskine seconds later from same throw in. Then gets corner decision wrong. Didn't directly lead to goal but changed circumstances. Cerny not fouled for goal and nick off defender didn't help but another bad goal lost.

Should have booked Nicholson for a blatant dive and Osman for dissent when he slammed the ball down. Not sure about Djoum. Looked a dive but not as clear as Nicholsons. Linesman on that side didn't react but then he was poor and certainly didn't help Collum.

Should have booked Nicholson for a blatant dive and Osman for dissent when he slammed the ball down.

I think the old WC would have had a yellow out and name taken before the ball had bounced a second time. Maybe as the ball wasn't thrown away as such saved Abdul and all he deserved was a talking to? Whatever I'm led to believe refs are to take a stricter view on dissent, or in Collum's case what he nearly always did.

The main point tho' is Abdul didn't learn much from Welsh's daftness the week before. Of all positions we can't afford our central midfielders picking up silly bookings. Given the referee's history Osman would likely have later been sent off or have to avoid 50/50 balls for the rest of the match.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett