Spfl Average Wages.

Lindau

That's probably were I expected we would figure in a salary table. If the figures are real the encouraging thing is we really aren't that far away from most of the teams. What an average table doesn't recognise though is the depth of the squad which is another area we are maybe deficient in compared to most. It really does say that an increase in attendance would make a huge difference as another 400 per match would be circa £100k per season which in a squad of 20 would reduce the gap considerably and make us very competitive with our peers.

Got to say the order looks much as I imagined it would and I doubt it will be a surprise to many. Even so it's a fairly meaningless survey as average wages don't necessarily correspond on a relative basis with an overall player budget. For instance I'd be very surprised if Motherwell and Killie spend more on total wages than County. And pertaining particularly to County we don't know if accommodation costs etc are factored in.

Misleading as it is it still does nothing to detract from what a good job Archie is doing under such financial restrictions.

Would imagine guys like Osman, Cerny, Barton, Erskine and a few others are on a fairly decent wage. At the last Development game we were at, we were discussing what guys that are on the fringes of the 1st team squad like Wilson, McDaid, Penrice and Nisbet are on. None of us had a clue!

Edited by Lindau

No idea how accurate or honest the figures are. But the list came from the USA (via P&B) and the SPL is only one of many leagues and many sports in the report. You can download the whole thing here and it contains some nice trivia.

http://www.globalsportssalaries.com

Probably the most remarkable thing is they thought the SPL was worth including as most Euro leagues and all South American leagues are omitted. Of the 333 teams covered, we are number 332.

What I wonder is if the club really is making the most of the youngsters being trained. In this article, which is supposed to be about a wonder coach, the training for youngsters at Hoffenheim (which has a population of just over 3000) has boosted that club in the Bundesliga. Read from the heading "Age Concern?" down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/37888868

Edited by Fearchar

• 1 year later...

I saw this earlier - don't know how accurate it is but we appear to have taken a leap up the wages' table (if accurate...) -

World ranking / Avg annual pay £ / Avg weekly pay £

203 - Celtic - £735,040 / £14,135

256 - Rangers - £329,600 / £6,338

313 - Aberdeen - £136,382 / £2,623

316 - Hearts - £95,514 / £1,837

318 - Hibs - £87,100 / £1,675

334 - Dundee - £59,904 / £1,152

337 - Partick Thistle - £58,175 / £1,119

338 - Ross County - £56,394 / £1,085

341 - Kilmarnock - £55,100 / £1,060

346 - St Johnstone - £47,992 / £923

347 - Motherwell - £42,662 / £820

348 - Hamilton - £41,488 / £798

Edited by Charlie Endell

Subject to the usual caveats (e.g. accuracy, sources etc etc), the Annual Global Sports Salaries Survey makes interesting reading.

Proof, if it was ever needed, that:

1. The whinging of the East End mob about “level playing fields” shows that, amongst their many deficiencies, a lack of awareness of irony is one of the most prominent;

2. That Sevco continue to display that fiscal reality is a stranger to Ayebrokes!

Edited by CCjag
  • Like 1

Again I say I've no idea how this is calculated. No club/private business is going to willing release figures and in any case footballers wages are subject to a plethora of variables (win/draw/final league place bonuses being just a few). Even if the average wage figures were correct that in no way reflects on the player budget due to squad size.

• Like 2