Archie, Shaggy And The Board

Vinnyjag

Now that the excitement of Saturday and Dools wonderful display is ebbing a wee bit, I thought it was time to give e some overdue praise to the management team and the Board.

There have been a couple of sticky spells during Archies tenure where the Board could have knee jerked and let him and Shaggy go, they didn't, they supported them and gave them the time they needed to become an excellent management team performing way above expectations. I say that as a fan who has watched the Jags home and away for over 50 years, and this team is one of the best we have had. Many other Chairman have sacked a manager and lived to regret it, i.e. St Mirren

I have said many times that the biggest assets we have are Archie and Shaggy, they have recruited well on a tight budget and created a really great team spirit (you only needed to see the team's collective reaction at the end of the game on Sat for proof of that) and work ethic.

They have delivered this in a measured under the radar manner, never courting controversy, never blaming referees or bad pitches, just getting on with it. We are lucky to have them and hopefully they are with us for years to come, however continued progress with us will only generate interest from bigger clubs, that is inevitable.

I just hope that by the time they move on to bigger things Lord Doolan is ready to take over.

• Like 12

Like you I thought St Mirren were something to aspire to be. 9 consecutive seasons in the top league sounds fantastic, but then you look at the detail of where they finished: 11, 10, 11, 10, 11, 8, 11, 8, 12 - hardly aspirational and largely saved from relegation by the pre playoff days.

Great post - also worth noting that the Board have run the club like a business rather than as a bunch of fans with a hobby. They make sure the money is looked after and let Archie and Scott get on with the job, a brilliant balancing act of keeping us in the black and signing quality players.

Added to the the generosity of the Weirs who have tried to build something for the long-term rather than sign a few marquis players for some publicity

Great times to be a Jags fan!

• Like 1

Like you I thought St Mirren were something to aspire to be. 9 consecutive seasons in the top league sounds fantastic, but then you look at the detail of where they finished: 11, 10, 11, 10, 11, 8, 11, 8, 12 - hardly aspirational and largely saved from relegation by the pre playoff days.

Yep, the 9 consecutive seasons in the top flight was a tasty soundbite, but when you consider that in our second season back up we finished with a higher points tally than they had in any of the 9, you came to realise it was a flawed rhetoric.

Then again, they did win a cup during their 9-year stint, an achievement for which a lot of credit is due.

• Like 1

Yep, the 9 consecutive seasons in the top flight was a tasty soundbite, but when you consider that in our second season back up we finished with a higher points tally than they had in any of the 9, you came to realise it was a flawed rhetoric.

Then again, they did win a cup during their 9-year stint, an achievement for which a lot of credit is due.

St. Mirren had one ambition in that entire time - to hope there was one team worse than them ( or two latterly ). No interest in improvement and got found out eventually.

St. Mirren had one ambition in that entire time - to hope there was one team worse than them ( or two latterly ). No interest in improvement and got found out eventually.

They did win the League cup which needs some ambition. But why oh why they let Danny Lennon go was still a mystery to be honest.

Ah, Gus McPherson! I've seen his Queens Pk play twice this season and they're that negative they make St Johnstone look like an out and out attacking outfit.

Those wages are interesting, but I wonder if the averages are hiding some real differences between some of the clubs at out end of the table. For example, one club might have a large squad overall but filled with youths, bringing their average down compared with a team comprised only of experienced pros. Overall wage spend is far more useful. I'd prefer to see boxplots for player wages at eqch club with a value for number of players considered and another for overall player spend, but that isn't going to happen.

Those wages are interesting, but I wonder if the averages are hiding some real differences between some of the clubs at out end of the table. For example, one club might have a large squad overall but filled with youths, bringing their average down compared with a team comprised only of experienced pros. Overall wage spend is far more useful. I'd prefer to see boxplots for player wages at eqch club with a value for number of players considered and another for overall player spend, but that isn't going to happen.

With our youth structure expanding, I expect that we might be bringing down our average by more than others.

Danny I feel got a raw deal at Alloa as well. Certainly I witnessed first hand the abuse the man was receiving. He was more or less forced into resigning after a poor series of results. Included in these results were home and away losses to sevco & Hibs plus of course clubs with relatively huge budgets in comparison to Alloa like St Mirren, Falkirk and the Sweetie Man's outfit down the river. Just what their fan base expected of Danny only God and Mulraney (Alloa's chairman, who incidentally thinks he's God) will know. Reassuring to know that the guy that presumably considers Jim Goodwin to be superior manager to Danny Lennon is currently a big wig in both the SPFL and SFA.

Perhaps Danny has given up on management and besides I reckon he's a far better coach than manager. I certainly wouldn't blame him if he has chucked the management game, and that being the case if or when Archie leaves us, I wouldn't mind seeing Danny have a coaching role at Firhill.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett