Stats Watch 2017-18

The Jukebox Rebel

The great Jaggy database is primed, trimmed and rarin' to go for 2017-18.

Shedloads of chip-ins would be good, thank you please. ;)

:detective:The story so far...

11.07.2017 Dumbarton [a] L1-2 (Friendly)

21st CENTURY JAG

• There are five debutants in this game including Blair Spittal, Harry Granger, John Kelly, Callum Wilson and Aidan Fitzpatrick.
  • John Kelly, introduced in the 69th minute, becomes Thistle's first 2000s-born player.
  • Aidan Fitzpatrick, born in March, 2001, is introduced in the 78th minute, and duly becomes the the first bona-fide 21st century Jag.

15.07.2017 Livingston [a] D1-1 (League Cup Group H - game 1) Livingston won 3-1 on penalties to gain bonus point

PENALTY HISTORY, BUT NO BONUS POINT FOR THISTLE

• The attendance of 1,119 for an opening-day competitive fixture is the lowest on record in 30 years. Back in 1987, just 1,038 turned out to witness a 3-2 League defeat away to Meadowbank Thistle.
  • For the first time ever, Thistle take part in a penalty shoot-out for the purpose of gaining a "bonus" point in a League table. Stuart Bannigan has the honour of taking and scoring the first such penalty-kick. Unfortunately, 3-in-a-row thereafter - from Christie Elliott, Blair Spittal and Kris Doolan - are all saved by Livingston's 39-year-old 'keeper, Neil Alexander.
  • Thistle are on a run of 4-in-a-row when it comes to unsuccesful penalty shoots. The latest setback follows losses to Queen of the South (2013), Ross County (2010) and Inverness Caledonian Thistle (2009). Ironically, our last penalty win came against Livingston in 2008.
  • Thistle's amazing run of avoiding defeat on the opening competitive game of the season continues, unbeaten in the 21st century and now sitting at 18 games. Livingston were the last side to inflict defeat upon the Jags in such circumstances, winning 2-0 in the Motorola Cup Semi-Final on 17th July 1999. The current run is the greatest in the club's history, surpassing the 11 season run between 1940 and 1950.

22.07.2017 St Mirren [h] W5-0 (League Cup Group H - game 2)

TEN SEASONS IN-A-ROW FOR DOOLAN

• Kris Doolan scores for Thistle for the tenth season-in-a-row. He's the first player to do that since Davie McParland, more than 50 years ago.
  • Blair Spittal nets his first goal for the club.
  • The 4-0 half-time scoreline exactly matches the best under Alan Archibald, first achieved back in March 2013 in a 6-1 home League win over Livingston.
  • Abdul Osman is sent-off for the third time as a Jag. Only 4 men are known to have been beyond this point; Martin Hardie (4), Bobby Houston (4), Alan Archibald (6) and Bobby Law (7).
  • Thistle register a third consecutive competitive win over Saints for the first time since 1976.

25.07.2017 Airdrieonians [a] W2-1 (League Cup Group H - game 3)

400 GOALS MILESTONE REACHED

• Blair Spittal scores Thistle's 400th competitive goal against Airdrie. Only Clyde (498) have been stung by the North West nettle more often.
  • After his 4th appearance, James Penrice maintains his proud run of being unbeaten as a Jag in competitive action.
  • With their third consecutive competitive away win over Airdrie, Archie's Jags are one away from equalling the H2H best.

29.07.2017 Stranraer [h] W1-0 (League Cup Group H - game 4)

ANOTHER UNBEATEN GROUP STAGE FOR THE JAGS

• Christie Elliott scores his 15th competitive goal for Thistle, ending a goalless run of almost 1,000 days since his Premiership winner at St Mirren Park.
  • Tomáš Cerný's clean-sheet ratio rises to a hugely impressive 36.36%; our No.1 now has 24 out of 66 in competitive action.
  • Thistle remain unbeaten in the group stages of the League Cup for a third consecutive campaign; a 14 game run which spans 35 years.

TJR

Great to have you back.

Would I be right in saying that our goals for and against in this year's League Cup campaign were 9 v 2 and are exactly the same as for last year's campaign?

I am reasonably sure of the above but not so sure of the next one as I cannot remember when Queen of the South scored against us last year. Is it the case that we have not conceded a first half goal in either campaign?

A couple of easy early season questions to ease you back into the action!

Edited by partickthedog

CJ, same game hat-tricks for Blair and Stevie would have been far from unique; opening up the query to the "All Games" category, on 11 occasions there have 2 man hat-tricks and on a further 5 occasions there have even been 3 man hat-tricks...

24.10.1885 Alloa Athletic [a] W12-0 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round)

Andrew Johnston (4); Bob Robertson (4)

04.12.1886 Cliftonville [a] W11-1 (FA Cup 3rd Round)

Jerry Suter (3); Willie Paul (5)

03.09.1887 Westbourne [h] W10-0 (Scottish Cup 1st Round)

Bob Marshall (3); Jerry Suter (3); Jim Buchanan (3)

29.09.1888 Ulster [a] W12-1 (Friendly)

Andrew Johnston (3); David Hislop (3); Willie Paul (3)

10.03.1894 Glasgow Thistle [h] W13-1 (SFL Second Division - game 16)

William Proudfoot (3); Willie Freebairn (3); Willie Paul (3)

26.08.1925 Queen's Park [n] W7-1 (Opening of Dunoon Stand)

Allan Brown (3); Jimmy McDougall (3)

24.02.1934 Heart of Midlothian [h] W7-2 (SFL First Division - game 29)

Peter Bain (3); Sandy MacLennan (3)

26.09.1939 Glasgow Highlanders [h] W11-3 (Friendly)

Sammy Picken (3); Willie Newall (4); Willie Sharp (3)

23.01.1943 St Mirren [h] W8-1 (Southern League - game 25)

Willie Newall (5); Willie Sharp (3)

18.09.1948 Queen of the South [h] W9-0 (League Cup Section 3 - game 2)

Tom Wright (3); Willie O'Donnell (3)

13.02.1954 Tarff Rovers [a] W9-1 (Scottish Cup 2nd Round)

Alex Wright (3); Willie Sharp (3)

30.03.1961 East Stirlingshire [a] W7-1 (Friendly)

Joe McBride (4); Neil Duffy (3)

20.07.1972 Västerhaninge IF [a] W11-1 (July Cup Group 2 - game 3)

Charlie Smith (3); Jim Mullin (3)

28.07.1981 Fort William [a] W11-1 (Friendly)

Donald Park (4); Kenny Watson (3)

13.08.1983 Hawick Royal Albert [a] W8-0 (Friendly)

Jim Docherty (3); Kenny McDowall (3)

17.07.2004 Royal Highland Fusiliers [a] W18-0 (Friendly)

John Gemmell (4); Matthew Shields (3); Ritchie Pacquette (3)

Have we ever had so many players in a squad with 2 of the same letter in their names in a row?

Scully

Sneddon

Callum Booth

Bannigan

Lawless

Spittall

Elliott

Niall Keown

Turnbull

Doolan

McCarthy

Aye I am bored.

I mean yeah, you probably are bored. But this will probably be my favourite post of the season.

Within undoubtedly my favourite thread.

"Abdul Osman is sent-off for the third time as a Jag. Only 4 men are known to have been beyond this point; Martin Hardie (4), Bobby Houston (4), Alan Archibald (6) and Bobby Law (7)"

so how many for Chic?

Surprisingly, just 3 for Le Chic:

on Saturday, 3rd February, 1990, in a 2-1 defeat away to Ayr United in the SFL First Division.

on Tuesday, 30th August, 1994, in a 5-0 defeat at home to Aberdeen in the League Cup.

on Saturday, 8th October, 1994, in a 1-0 defeat at home to Heart of Midlothian in the SFL Premier Division.

Have we ever had so many players in a squad with 2 of the same letter in their names in a row?

I'm shying away from this debaser. I can send you the full player A-Z if you like?

:detective:

05.08.2017 Hibernian [a] L1-3 (SPFL Premiership - game 1)

PENALTY WOES

• Alan Archibald fields his oldest ever starting eleven in a League match, with an average age of 27y, 4m, 22d.
  • 3 weeks after scoring Thistle's first competitive goal of the season, Chris Erskine does the same in the League category. In competitive action, the no. 10 is now just 2 shy of a magical half-century.
  • Thistle have conceded 4 penalties in their last 6 League games.
  • At the other end, Thistle fail to win a penalty for the 63rd successive away League game, thereby setting a new club-record in the category.
  • Thistle slump to their 5th consecutive League defeat, matching the worst run of Archie's reign in that category.

ongoing sequences:

• 39 consecutive competitive appearances for Kris Doolan, 15th Oct 2016 to date. (Longest run since: Ade Azeez - 46 games; 15th Jul 2016 to 21st May 2017. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 63 away League games without a penalty award, 1st Mar 2014 to date. (A new club-record.)

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 1

Jukebox rebel - I love you

I love you too, you big chunky loveball x

:detective:

There have only been two on-the-night-knockout ties between Jags and Saints in the League Cup. On both occasions the tie went all the way to extra-time and penalties, with St Johnstone winning at McDiarmid in 1992 and Thistle prevailing at Firhill in 2007.

• Like 1

"TJR, would you know the last time we played two competitive weekday matches in the same week? I can't mind but guess it might be back in the time when cup replays were played to a conclusion over 90 mins." -

Last time I looked at the calendar Monday & Wednesday were in the same midweek :lol:

according to the fixtures we played Celtic on Tues Dec 20th and then County on Fri Dec 23rd last year.

:thumbsup2: That's my short term memory definitely gone. :D The County game was brought forward from the Saturday. The one game I've missed in some time. Hadn't really thought of Xmas/New Year fixtures so probably a more common occurrence than I first thought.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett